• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Recent build first time firing it.

flynlow3

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2010
IL, EFFINGHAM
I have been picking up parts off this forum from time to time as they came up. I pieced together a rifle I plan to compete in our local F/tr class with.

I have a remington 700 action that the threads were true on. Didnt have to chase them or anything. Just faced the action. Lapped the lugs on the bolt and face. I used a Holland oversized recoil Lug that is pinned. A Mike Rock 20" 5R barrel with an 11* crown. Spec'd out a reamer from PTG. I added a jewel trigger and aics 2.0 chassis. The rail is a 20moa ken farrel with badger rings and a S&B 5-25 pmII scope.

I took the gun out today to do the break in. I started off by using jb bore paste a few times down the barrel. I then followed by using jb bore bright. after that, the throat was nice and shiney. I ran some montana xtreme accuracy oil (not because of its name) down it and then a dry patch and fired the first shot. It was low and Left. Cleaned gun again and made a few adjustments and fired again. I was about half as low but still needed to come right a bit. Clean and shot and was just one click high.

I was running 168gr hornady match bullets and they all clover leafed. I had loaded up some of my go to load with 175gr smk pulls. 42gr of varget with br2 primers. My first three shot group was one hole. I fired a fourth and opend it up a bit but all were touching. I did this again and had another 4 shot group with all touching. This was all at 100 yrds so even though I was excited it did not prove much since I have seen these results with a factory remington 5r on several occasions. I decided to take the gun out to 300 yrds. The only thing I had out there today was a peice of steel turned sideways. I cant remember the thickness but it is somewhere between 1/4 and 3/4 thick. I used the dope from my other factory 5R .308 which was 18 clicks up and I fired two rounds and hit it both times.

I know I am extremely excited about this gun but I think it is going to be a ringer! I have 25 impressive rounds through it thus far.

This was all done off a bi-pod too btw. No fancy rests or handicap aids. I will try to post pictures of my new rig soon. Just couldnt contain all my joy today!

Thanks for listing to my brag guys.

And a side note. xtreme accuracy oil is a great oil I have been using to clean the carbon out of the barrel without removing the copper. I leave the copper in mine. Some will argue but it works for me. I Have not had my other rifle foul out yet and have 1500 rounds down the tube and still holds true. This will differ on other rifles. I just didnt want anyone thinking it was some witch craft idea or anyone falling for the name. Some people will buy anything if it is tacticool or has accuracy in the name. I have used this stuff with great results.

Re: Recent build first time firing it.

Yep. I really liked the factory 20" 5r and I didnt build it specific to ftr. I like short barreled guns. Just cosmetics but I purchased a barrel off here that was only 21" unfinished. Some guy had it in his safe for several years and never got around to using it. Old Mike Rock barrel. I got a pretty good deal so i used it. finished out at about 20"

5r_zps44c7370b.jpg

5r2_zpsccf207a8.jpg

5r3_zpsa183d48d.jpg

5r4_zpse6970977.jpg

Sorry the quality of pics suck. Cell phone pics.

That piece of steel is 3/4" thick.

good looking gun, how much did it all cost? i don't think you mentioned it, but i could have missed it.

It is Lawdawg's steel so he would know! Thanks Minarix! I had $350 in action bare bones. Barrel cost me $225 Trigger was $175 lug was $40 aics was $850. Rail was $80 rings were $140 Scope $2900 bi pod (harris swivel) $75

after labor at my machinest buddies house, I have a little over 5k in it complete.

forgot the theaded bolt knob and bolt. add another $40 to that lol. Things add up quickly. You made me do something I would have rather never done. I hate knowing how much I have tied up in one of these little joy sticks but it is my one of a kind bomb stick.
smile.gif

jeez, and i thought my stick costed to much
laugh.gif
that is the same exact aics i plan on getting.

hope you enjoy it, i wish i could get out and shoot mine, but having to drive an hour plus to a range kinda sucks.

I shoot weekly
wink.gif
The Aics is a great chassis. I have owned quite a few of them. This however is my first folder. What I am impressed with is the amount of recoil that is reduced by using this system. I was able to shink my groups a bit when I transfered my gun to it.

I can say this, The 5R stock is great. I was able to use it on my sps tactical and groups shrank. I slid my 5r into an Aics and groups shrank for it as well. A good stock/chassis is like a foundation for your home. Wood swells and shrings with weather and is not consistent. ( consistency is the name of the game)

repeatabilty is what you strive for. I would say a good trigger is also extremely important since it is the last human input into the firearm before you send that round down range.

There are a lot of factors that go into it but I would be here all night typing.

My 308 was 26" initially, I had gap cut and install a badger fte on it, it was cut to 18".

With that short barrel and brake it was insanely fun, handy, but for whatever reason I made it a 260, it's now sold and I'm building a new boomstick.

So I understand the love of a shorter tube a little bit at least, and I did shoot mine in fclass a little for fun.

Looks really nice.

Thank you. I have one in 24" as well but when I have to pick which one I want to shoot it is always the shorter one.