• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rechambering to Ackley - Gunsmith Recommendations Needed

rking453

Private
Minuteman
Mar 21, 2022
Pulaski, NY
I'm thinking about purchasing a Ruger M77 Tang Safety in 250 Savage, and having it re-chambered to 250 Ackley Improved.

It should be a fun hunting rifle, and something new to reload for.

I'm looking for suggestions of gunsmiths who could do a quality rechambering job, setting back the barrel as necessary.

Also wondering if it would be smarter to find any M77 short action with a .308 bolt face, and just have a new barrel made and installed.

Thoughts and opinions welcome, thanks!

Rechambering should be fine but you'll still be limited in your bullet selection due to the twist rate.
If you're going to rebarrel, I'd recommend the 25 Creed. For all intents and purposes it's the same damn thing except it has a faster twist rate and you can shoot heavier projectiles.

Rebarreling, you can use any of these as the base rifle: 22-250, 243, 6 CM, 6.5 CM, 7-08, 308 or even a 358.

Reactions: rking453
Just an FYI - they didn't make very many tang safety 77's in 250 Savage - so ( depending upon condition ) it most probably has some serious collector value to a Ruger / 77 collector. If you were to get it reasonable - possibly sell it on one of the for sale forums and pocket enough difference to put together a custom set up.

^^^^
He's correct. The only ones I've ever seen had the ebony forend tip and were fairly light weight.

Remington also did their 1984 Classic in 250 Savage.
I have one and it's a beauty.