• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Recoil from Suppressed Lightweight 300 PRC

107driver

Private
Minuteman
Aug 8, 2013
Portland, OR
Shooters,

I have done best due diligence to research previous threads, but I am having trouble getting the data I want. I am considering a Seekins Havak Element in 300PRC (6 pounds), to be fitted with a Thunderbeast Ultra 7. My only experience shooting a lightweight rifle is my .308 Sako Finnlight II, about 7.5 pounds with scope, no can and no brake. Recoil with that rig shooting 165s was smart but tolerable. I know a brake would be more effective but aside from the CB brake/mount inside the Ultra 7, I'm not into shooting with just a brake. i.e., unsuppressed. Can any of you experts tell me how much worse recoil would be with the Element?

Thank you in advance,
--Matt

Depends on your use of it. 40 rounds of steel banging and you’ll notice the recoil. For hunting with a solid scope mounted and a magazine with 5 rounds, no problem. That Ultra 7 will tame it down. Proper stock fitment and building a solid shooting position helps a lot as well. I’m no expert, but I do hunt with an 8 lb PRC and I can usually watch my bullet strike in the scope.

Last edited:
Reactions: 107driver
Setting your purse down will make it easier to manage 😁

It will be a tad more than the 308. But depending how the gun recoils will tell the tale. Some tend to push where others tend to rise more in the muzzle. You wouldn’t want to sit and bang steel for lots of rounds. But for a hunting rifle it will work just fine

It's a lightweight magnum rifle... The suppressor will tame things down a bit but it's definitely going to let you know it's there. The can is DRAMATICALLY better than bare muzzle, and the brake is quite a bit better than a can. That said, I run suppressed (dominus or ultra 5) on all my hunting rifles if it's legal.

I'd say comparable to a bare muzzle .308. Maybe a little better because the can tends to smooth out the recoil event. I agree with Dan.. Hunting with a live target you won't notice it a ton, but on the range for 10+ rounds you definitely will.

I have a 6.8#(not super light) 7/300prc I shoot supressed. It's manageable. Also shoot a similar weight 300wsm supressed, run ultra7 on both. My 8.5# braked 300 norma inproved with 245s has a more intense recoil, surprisingly. Since you're running such a short barrel on the havak element, I'd run 200-215gr bullets to keep velocity up over the heavier stuff for the ballistic advantage of less drop within reasonable hunting distances. The havak element is a nice rifle, best buy out there from oem for lightweight mountain rifle. Lightweight magnums definitely require sound fundamentals and position behind the gun for good accuracy tho.

You can run both through a recoil calculator. The PRC will have a little more than double the recoil energy, and almost double the recoil velocity. Imo the U7 wont do that much.

Reactions: MOUNTIC
Setting your purse down will make it easier to manage 😁

It will be a tad more than the 308. But depending how the gun recoils will tell the tale. Some tend to push where others tend to rise more in the muzzle. You wouldn’t want to sit and bang steel for lots of rounds. But for a hunting rifle it will work just fine
Much appreciated. It will definitely mainly be for hunting, maybe some extended range sessions for fun. If I put my purse down, how do I keep my makeup handy?

I failed to mention it initially, but this would be primarily for elk. I’m still waffling a bit on whether to stick with 6.5 PRC, as I am already set up with ammunition and reloading supplies for that. If any of you have experience shooting elk with the 6.5 I’d love to hear your opinion.

I shot 18 rounds through my 300 PRC improved this morning with a TB ultra 5 on. The rifle is 10.7 lbs total. I’d say it’s roughly about like shooting a 9-10lb un braked 308win with 180s. You can’t spot your shots. Recoil is noticeably lighter running factory ammo vs max loads with n570 and also 200fps slower.

Much appreciated. It will definitely mainly be for hunting, maybe some extended range sessions for fun. If I put my purse down, how do I keep my makeup handy?

Well, that takes all the fun out of posting this:

20210603_163602.jpg

I lied. No it doesn't. 🤣

I failed to mention it initially, but this would be primarily for elk. I’m still waffling a bit on whether to stick with 6.5 PRC, as I am already set up with ammunition and reloading supplies for that. If any of you have experience shooting elk with the 6.5 I’d love to hear your opinion.
I have a 6.5 PRC barrel. I've never taken it elk hunting but would be very willing. I've shot bulls with 6.5x47's, 7-08AI's, and a 257 Weatherby. In reverse chronological order.

These days my hunting rifles top out at 6mm, and I'd happily use them for elk. As has been said by others before me, bullets matter more than headstamps, and chamberings are more similar than different.

There is only dead, "deader" isn't a thing. The "difficult to shoot well" curve rises much more sharply than the "does more damage" curve.

Reactions: DJL2 and 107driver
Shooters,

I have done best due diligence to research previous threads, but I am having trouble getting the data I want. I am considering a Seekins Havak Element in 300PRC (6 pounds), to be fitted with a Thunderbeast Ultra 7. My only experience shooting a lightweight rifle is my .308 Sako Finnlight II, about 7.5 pounds with scope, no can and no brake. Recoil with that rig shooting 165s was smart but tolerable. I know a brake would be more effective but aside from the CB brake/mount inside the Ultra 7, I'm not into shooting with just a brake. i.e., unsuppressed. Can any of you experts tell me how much worse recoil would be with the Element?

Thank you in advance,
--Matt
The recoil is not that bad with the TB Ultra7. I run the same combo on my Fierce. Rifle is 6lbs 7oz, Ultra is 8oz, Ultra CB Brake 3oz, rings 3oz, scope 26oz.

I don't get why anyone would want a lightweight magnum when 6.5 creed, 6 creed, 7-08, 75+ grain 223, etc have such an excellent track record of killing big game.

If a bullet is traveling fast enough to expand at distances you're going to kill at, what's the point of burning more powder and paying for heavier pills?

All you get in return once you exceed those is more recoil, less practice time, higher cost of components, more noise, etc. Probably more wind drift with the big 30s too.

For the select few that actually need 1900 fps at 800+ yards, sure that makes sense, but for Joe average 473 short action makes the most sense.

Reactions: DJL2 and 107driver
These days my hunting rifles top out at 6mm, and I'd happily use them for elk. As has been said by others before me, bullets matter more than headstamps, and chamberings are more similar than different.

There is only dead, "deader" isn't a thing. The "difficult to shoot well" curve rises much more sharply than the "does more damage" curve.
Well said

Reactions: DJL2 and Carl_Ross
Shooters,

Thank you in advance,
--Matt

It's not going to be a rifle you will enjoy shooting at the range.
However, when hunting, especially if you are standing up and shooting you probably won't notice it much for the limited number of shots you would be taking.

Ultra light magnum rifles are very much purpose specific for long hunting treks.

300 PRC. My 338 RUM with the larger 338 TB comes in at 10lbs 14oz and the recoil is very acceptable.

I’ve shot two bulls and a cow with my 6.5 PRC. The closest was 485 yards and the farthest was 912. 140 eldm going 2900 fps so not even a screamer load. All the shots were in the vitals and all the bullets were either complete pass throughs or were stuck on the far side hide. The three elk took a combined 10 steps maybe. I really have been impressed with the performance. The all the deer I’ve shot have been complete pass throughs. I hunt solo most of the time so being able to spot my impact with lighter recoil is really nice. I don’t feel like I’m leaving any lethality on the table for the shot placement that I like. Next build is a lightweight 6 creed!

Reactions: DJL2