• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Recoil issue from bench

sacklunch

The Sacklunch Center for Kids Who Can’t Shoot Good
Minuteman
Apr 23, 2023
Texas
I shot from an oddly fitting bench today, I don’t shoot much from a bench, but usually don’t feel this awkward/uncomfortable…like an old elementary school table, no room to get the bipod forward enough to be able to actually get behind the rifle.

muzzle rise was up and left to about 10:30 (right hand shooter). Didn’t shoot the best today and was attributing it to this and not being square behind the rifle

Anyone is there a good technique to shooting when you’re forced to not be in-line with the rifle? It wasn’t gross by any means, be certainly felt like the rifle was recoiling in an inconsistent way

Besides the thread going linked above I'll add this is where a bipod that can slide on an Acra rail can help. Approach any range bench as a barricade obstacle not a bench. We not going to sit.
In the case you describe that's where I want to move the bipod back like if shooting off a stair step type example and get behind the rifle standing behind it and semi prone from the waist to keep square.
If moving the bipod isn't possible it's an oppty to shoot off your backpack as a front rest and get the rifle higher especially for some of the heinous low ones you can encounter where it's an entire cider block low or on the metal legs.

Just to further channel the agnst for these things many are super low because of the one price rest contraptions used for benchrest where especially in the rimfire version they aren't even looking down the scope when the rifle is fired!

After conquering the barricade remember to suggest the club remove some bench and allow for prone shooting.

Did you copy past that so I could read your post about sitting behind the T? Assuming you missed the part in my question where I said it was not possible at this desk, sitting, to get the body square behind the rifle.

Last edited:
Did you copy past that so I could read your post about sitting behind the T? Assuming you missed the part in my question where I said it was not possible at this desk, sitting, to get the body square behind the rifle.
Read the whole thread boomer

Attachments

• IMG_3706.jpeg
    IMG_3706.jpeg
    846.9 KB · Views: 33
Reactions: Taylorbok
A school desk inspired “shooting bench” sounds like the work of the debil. I think something like the bag linked below might work. I have a very similar bag that I use for heavier recoiling “traditional stocked” rifles without bipods. But, even then, I do what I can to get square behind the rifle.

That said, don’t accept the status quo. I’ve rolled out shooting mats under poorly designed “shooting benches” when there wasn’t room beside the bench. “Modified prone” works too, if the surface is large enough. It sucks that one might need to consider the bench as an obstacle to be solved, instead of a shooting aid. But, more often than not, range benches suck.

Instead of approaching the bench with “what was the designer of this contraption thinking?” approach the bench with “do i need to use given bench? And if so, what is the best position that I can build from the given support?”

Reactions: sacklunch
A school desk inspired “shooting bench” sounds like the work of the debil. I think something like the bag linked below might work. I have a very similar bag that I use for heavier recoiling “traditional stocked” rifles without bipods. But, even then, I do what I can to get square behind the rifle.

That said, don’t accept the status quo. I’ve rolled out shooting mats under poorly designed “shooting benches” when there wasn’t room beside the bench. “Modified prone” works too, if the surface is large enough. It sucks that one might need to consider the bench as an obstacle to be solved, instead of a shooting aid. But, more often than not, range benches suck.

Instead of approaching the bench with “what was the designer of this contraption thinking?” approach the bench with “do i need to use given bench? And if so, what is the best position that I can build from the given support?”
I brought my mat. Was scolded. Also told I couldn’t lean on the table and stand. I just had to run about 15 over a chrono, accuracy didn’t matter, but wanted to at least be consistent with bipod loading and was a little tough at such a sharp angle

Read the whole thread boomer
You have an original thought to share or just gonna plagiarize online training quotes and post pictures that have nothing to do with the actual bench I described?

Boomer? Oh no, name calling? Didn’t get a trophy and some orange slices for your post and now you’re upset?

No need to be a dick, just because your post sucks

I brought my mat. Was scolded. Also told I couldn’t lean on the table and stand. I just had to run about 15 over a chrono, accuracy didn’t matter, but wanted to at least be consistent with bipod loading and was a little tough at such a sharp angle
Man, this sounds like a set of reasons to find a new range.

Man, this sounds like a set of reasons to find a new range.
It’s not my home range, it was the closest place to my errands for the day that had 100 yards to just run the chrono. Won’t be going back, it was a strange vibe

I've sure seen some absolutely shitty benches and often wondered just WTF designed them.

And why all benches are still made for BR and sling shooters I don't know.

Me....I bought a drummer's throne (stool....but they call them thrones...go figure) to sit directly behind the bench. And, in addition to swiveling it goes up and down which I find very valuable.

What kind of fudds are running this place?

I've been a member of 5+ different shooting ranges, across 3 different states. I've never encountered an issue with shooting prone between the benches.

What kind of fudds are running this place?

I've been a member of 5+ different shooting ranges, across 3 different states. I've never encountered an issue with shooting prone between the benches.
Only thing I’ve even encountered (regarding prone shooting) was at a 50y indoor range. They have the typical indoor motorized target hangers, and their stipulation is that if shooting from prone, the target must be at the 50 yard line. I assume they don't want someone shooting at like 10 yards and perforating the ceiling.

Only thing I’ve even encountered (regarding prone shooting) was at a 50y indoor range. They have the typical indoor motorized target hangers, and their stipulation is that if shooting from prone, the target must be at the 50 yard line. I assume they don't want someone shooting at like 10 yards and perforating the ceiling.

Indoor ranges are nuts.

I don't really go to them anymore, but whenever I did, I would always point out to whomever I'm shooting with the holes that were immediately above in the ceiling, below on the ground, and to either side on the walls. Doesn't matter which indoor shooting range you go to, this is the case. Holes where there definitely should not be holes - and lots of them.

Indoor ranges are nuts.

I don't really go to them anymore, but whenever I did, I would always point out to whomever I'm shooting with the holes that were immediately above in the ceiling, below on the ground, and to either side on the walls. Doesn't matter which indoor shooting range you go to, this is the case. Holes where there definitely should not be holes - and lots of them.
Some entertaining videos on the web with some indoor range NDs…Darwinism at its finest. Saw one where the pistol didn’t fire, lady turns it toward her face and looks down the barrel to see what happened

• Wow
Reactions: kthomas
Some entertaining videos on the web with some indoor range NDs…Darwinism at its finest. Saw one where the pistol didn’t fire, lady turns it toward her face and looks down the barrel to see what happened

That stuff is a great reminder for why I don't go to public pistol ranges...

Indoor ranges are nuts.

It's the same at outdoor ranges, you just see the errant shots.
I was the on the BOD at a gun club for over 10 years. We went out to 200 yesterday, no RO, pretty much self monitored. The big rule was all bullets must impact the berm. We had bullets land in swimming pools and dent deck posts downrange. Members were caught putting targets on top of the 15 to 20 foot tall berms! Can't fix stupid.

It's the same at outdoor ranges, you just see the errant shots.
I was the on the BOD at a gun club for over 10 years. We went out to 200 yesterday, no RO, pretty much self monitored. The big rule was all bullets must impact the berm. We had bullets land in swimming pools and dent deck posts downrange. Members were caught putting targets on top of the 15 to 20 foot tall berms! Can't fix stupid.

Yeah, I do all of my pistol/carbine shooting at a private range where I can get a private bay.

Short barrels and bad safety etiquette is a dangerous combo, which is all to frequent at public ranges.

Anytime something prevents you from accomplishing a fundamental of marksmanship (in this case, square behind the rifle), and you're not able to fix the situation (standing behind bench, prone, sitting behind...etc), the only thing you can do is stay hyper focused on the rest of the fundamentals, especially the ones the lost fundamental will have the largest impact on.

In this case, not being square behind the rifle will hurt spotting your shots (not an issue at 100yd range), and if you don't have a stable support (especially rear), you can beat the bullet out of the barrel when the butt of the rifle moves. Generally vertically.

The high left reticle movement means the but of the rifle is moving down and to the right. Which is pretty typical for a right handed shooter. Being bladed to the left of the rifle means it will be very hard for the rifle to not move to the right as that's going to be path of least resistance.

Since you're not able to fix the situation, then you'll need to place a very large amount of energy on the rear rifle support. Which means your bags. Focus on not letting the rifle sink too much into the bag and you might need to put a slight amount of lateral pressure on the rifle to the left to help with the right hand movement.

Be careful though, if your shots aren't deviating much from your normal square behind the rifle, then the lateral pressure may not be needed.

If you're not able to get square behind the rifle, and your shots are going where intended, you're fine unless you need to be spotting downrange. Then you'll need to work on ways to keep the rifle from taking that path of least resistance.

Obviously the best answer is to fix the position or find another place to shoot. However, we don't always get to choose how/where we shoot. So when that happens, you have to make do the best you can and hyper focus on the fundamentals you are able to accomplish.

Anytime something prevents you from accomplishing a fundamental of marksmanship (in this case, square behind the rifle), and you're not able to fix the situation (standing behind bench, prone, sitting behind...etc), the only thing you can do is stay hyper focused on the rest of the fundamentals, especially the ones the lost fundamental will have the largest impact on.

In this case, not being square behind the rifle will hurt spotting your shots (not an issue at 100yd range), and if you don't have a stable support (especially rear), you can beat the bullet out of the barrel when the butt of the rifle moves. Generally vertically.

The high left reticle movement means the but of the rifle is moving down and to the right. Which is pretty typical for a right handed shooter. Being bladed to the left of the rifle means it will be very hard for the rifle to not move to the right as that's going to be path of least resistance.

Since you're not able to fix the situation, then you'll need to place a very large amount of energy on the rear rifle support. Which means your bags. Focus on not letting the rifle sink too much into the bag and you might need to put a slight amount of lateral pressure on the rifle to the left to help with the right hand movement.

Be careful though, if your shots aren't deviating much from your normal square behind the rifle, then the lateral pressure may not be needed.

If you're not able to get square behind the rifle, and your shots are going where intended, you're fine unless you need to be spotting downrange. Then you'll need to work on ways to keep the rifle from taking that path of least resistance.

Obviously the best answer is to fix the position or find another place to shoot. However, we don't always get to choose how/where we shoot. So when that happens, you have to make do the best you can and hyper focus on the fundamentals you are able to accomplish.
Awesome info man, I appreciate the post.

OR approach it with a chainsaw and be done with that shit.