• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Recoil lug alignment

Skeet375

Private
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2008
SW WA
How do you align the recoil lug when you are putting on a new barrel. I was thinking of leveling the action and just trying it untill the bottom of the lug is level. But im sure there has got to be a better way. Im not sure what lug I am going to use yet.

Re: Recoil lug alignment

Recoil lug alignment tool that is specific to the recoil lug. There are several out there.

Wouldn't the trial and error with leveling the action and the bottom of the lug work. When I buy my lug I will probably get a alignment tool for that specific lug.
How do you pin a lug? Is it in to the face of the action with a short pin.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skeet375</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wouldn't the trial and error with leveling the action and the bottom of the lug work. When I buy my lug I will probably get a alignment tool for that specific lug.
How do you pin a lug? Is it in to the face of the action with a short pin. </div></div>

You would have to make a slot on the acton or hole in the exact position that the hole in the recoil will be. I made up my own tool buy drilling a piece of aluminum that had the ID specs of a action then drilled a hole and tapped it 1/4-28 the same as the mounting screws on the reciever. Then i milled the face of it down the thickness of the lug untill it got to be the same distance appart as the lug itself. It locates the lug on a remmy great.