• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Recoil Management With Ski Feet Bipod (Phoenix Bipod)

fullbore

Private
Minuteman
  • Jul 12, 2018
    Hello Everyone

Ive been shooting a 260 AI for a month or so and Im ejoying it very much. But the one thing that is still a little off is how the gun reacts under recoil. I use a Rabbit ear style SEB Bigfoot F class rear bag as Ive been mostly shooting F class at my local range with it. Im findng that the rifle does hop a touch high and to the right when I fire. Ive tried having a harder hold into the shoulder pocket which helps slighty but then I find my accuracy falls off. Ive also tried loading up the bipod legs as much as I can before it starts to slide and get very mixed results.

Should I maybe be working more on body positioning to get the rifle to track straight back and true?

My current technique is using a soft to moderate hold and let the rifle track on the feet which is working well accuracy wise BUT I want everything to track back nicely into my shoulder.

Any tips or information greatly appreciated. Have attached photos of the Bipod setup.

Attachments

• Bipod 1.jpg
      Bipod 1.jpg
      512 KB · Views: 111
    • Bipod 2.jpg
      Bipod 2.jpg
      421.7 KB · Views: 145
    From what you describe, it strikes me as a body position and grip issue. The purpose of the ski feet is to promote free recoil. I have been focusing on pulling the rifle straight back into my shoulder and if it jogs left or right, I wiggle my body one way or the other and try again. My thought is that if you pull the rifle back into your shoulder and then have to push the rifle to one side or the other, it will spring back when the shot is fired.
    I am a neophyte though, so take everything I said with a grain of salt.

Thanks very much for those replies, will try and work on my body alignment. I usually stand behind my rifle and line up the butt of the stock to just inside my right knee. Then from there kneel down and then shoulder the rifle so everything is square to the target.

I can't really load the bipod much as it will just tend to slide on the skis. As far as grip pressure, should I be having a hard hold straight back into shoulder? Or just apply some grip pressure backward into shoulder pocket?

Not a lot of pressure is needed rearward. Make sure it is straight back. Frank says as much as it takes to lift the rifle.

Also, make sure you are square to the rifle and that you are not pushing the rear of the rifle to the left, which makes your muzzle move the other direction, in my experience.