• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Recoil Reducers

mercracing

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 9, 2013
    Green Bay, WI
    Hey guys, I was pondering with a friend recently the best way to reduce recoil in my 300WM. We have talked about a muzzle brake, recoil pad, and a "mercury" recoil reducer. Of the three, the mercury recoil reducer seems to be the best option. The gun is used for hunting and target shooting. Since I use it for hunting also, I dont think a brake is the best option. Anyone else in this boat or have similar experience?

well the mercury recoil reducer adds weight to the rifle which doesn't help when hunting, muzzle break adds little weight but makes more noise, and you might aswell just put a good recoil pad just for comfort. I say if you wear ear pro muzzle break is no problem, but if I really wanted to reduce recoil add all 3.

I am putting the mercury reducer in the buffer tube on mcree carbine chassis.

The most effective recoil reduction will come from a good muzzle brake. Mercury recoil reducers work and have been used in trap guns for years but they increase weight and change balance. The most effective recoil pads I have found are Limbsavers. You can try one of these in the slip on variety for less than thirty bucks.

I always saw brakes as an unsightly addition until I bought a TRG-42 in .338LM. It came with the Sako brake and I became an instant believer. If the Limbsaver doesn't provide enough relief go to a brake. For range days use the brake. If having a brake while you're hunting bothers you, spin the brake off and put on the thread protector. Hold onto your wallet. The brake will make your .300WM so much fun to shoot that your ammo bill will skyrocket.

I had a problem like this with my hunting rifle a 7mm Mag. I was so close to selling it because every time I would shoot it it would beat the hell out of me. My groups were 2 moa or bigger because I was flinching. I tried a recoil pad and even a shooting jacket that had a thick pad neither worked. I finally took it to a gun smith and had them put a break on it. I was in love from the first shot and I could not tell a difference in sound at all. My rifle was very light weight for back packing. Here are a few pics of what they did to my rifle

It wasn't tactical but it worked and sound was pretty close to the same

I was in the same boat as yourself when I bought my Rem 700 300 RUM. I put it in an HS precision stock that has the recoil reducer in it, and had the rifle Mag-Na-Ported.

In my opinion the Mag-na-porting made the most difference. It really doesn't increase the noise, but it eliminates most of the muzzle jump. I have been very happy with this set up, and have carried it quite a few miles over the last 12 years.

You need a brake and thats it. For magnums like this, getting straight behind it with relaxed and even shoulders will do the rest.

Don't add weight to it; if your position and follow through aren't there more weight will make things worse.

They started me shooting the G22 AI in 300WM a few weeks after I shot a 22LR for the first time.