• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Recommend me a torque driver

To be fair, people also spend $75k on a nice truck or car and $5k on wheels and then install the lug nuts with a Harbor Freight torque wrench.
This and the fact that later on you end up buying top of the line and paying that price PLUS what you spent on the cheap stuff.

I learned this from tripods. I do photography. Started with $400~500 tripods. Well, they induced harmonic vibrations that blurred the images with anything longer than an 85mm lens. At any shutter speed. Ended up buying top of the line $1K tripods (Gitzo) and the problem went away but the Gitzo's cost me $1400~1500.... Adding what I spent on the cheap ones. This was before RRS was even making tripods! I learned the lesson and it is this:

Cheap is more expensive in the long run.

A073D8AE-FC7E-457B-B72E-4473576468F3.jpeg
CDI for at home on the bench. I have fix it sticks & Borka kits In my range/ match/ hunting bags.
If I could only have one it would be the CDI .

Reactions: 308pirate
Try sending yours back to Wheeler. I had one of their scope leveling kits and a bubble vial leaked. I called them up, they asked for my address and in two days I had a whole new set UPSed to my door. I thought that was a very good response on their part.

This in a 15-75 in-lb range would be perfect:

There is a 5-40 in-lb version that would be a nice compliment, but then we're pushing north of $300 and I'm carrying two screwdrivers. (It's at this point where someone could ask "how many torque wrenches do you already own and what did they cost you?" and I'd really have no good response :LOL: )

I'm a big fan of Borka torque wrenches. The range has been perfect with some rare exceptions, covered by a Fix-It-Sticks limiter.

Got a wheeler fat wrench. Good thing I first tried it on the scope mount (to the pic rail) and not the scope itself, because it's definitely messed up. Anything above the very lowest setting takes considerable force to turn. Full disclaimer, I bought it on Amazon. Maybe it's fake? But why fake a $30 product?

Anything good out there, preferably made in America (or at least not in China)? Not trying to spend an arm and a leg but I also realize you get what you pay for.
This one is AWESOME ... use it mostly to swap out barrels on my Barrett MRAD. Easy to adjust, great top-end, quality built. Highly recommended.

Amazon product ASIN B07M68FY3X

I got the Fix It Sticks all-in-one and mounted my scope with it today. Feels very well made. Bits feel well made too, don't shred like cheap bits. I don't know why I assumed it was made in the US. It's not, it's made in Taiwan.

Some people complain about it not clicking, and you have to look at the rotating barrel. Not a big deal at all. Just need to start it in the right position and it works great.

Also nice how everything snaps together, and how the bits will fit in the t-handle without the torque mechanism (for loosening).

Substantial is subjective. I've been tightening screws and bolts for 50 years, at least. I can tell by feel if the torque is close to right or not. Going from the lowest setting which is the storage setting, where you can't even see the red stripe, and therefore zero torque, is basically freewheeling. Then going halfway up to 10-inch pounds, which is the first accurate marking IS SUBSTANTIAL.
Correct. I think the substantial feeling is possibly the result of someone used to a standard torque wrench. The amount of leverage and ease of putting 25lbin with a TW is so much less resistance than with the wheeler. It’s leverage thing.

I have the Fix-it Stix for the bag, but on the bench use several different ones depending on the torque range. The little Snap On CD4 and Wiha Vario are great little devices that fit a lot of bits.

Screen Shot 2022-01-09 at 4.46.52 PM.png
CIMG6708 copy.JPG

I have the Wheeler Fat Wrench and have been very happy with it. It comes with a good variety of bits too.

Now that we've definitively answered that question for you ... would you like our opinions on "World Peace" and "Ending Poverty"? :unsure: