• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Recommend me some sniper books.

Clamber

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 13, 2010
Utah, USA
I didn't know where to put this, so I just put it here in hopes of getting the most replies.

I'm looking for some good books on the subject of snipers, whether they be true stories or sniper handbook guides and whatnot.

Thanks.

Re: Recommend me some sniper books.

this post really should go in the snipers hide "movie theater" section but if you want a good read, not a how to guide ive read marine sniper and silent warrior there both about carlos hathcock, also the fictional books from stephen hunter such as point of impact, i sniper, night of thunder, blaklight, pale horse coming and isniper are pretty good. one more is john ringo's ghost (the main character is a little creepy though).

Marine Sniper -Charles Henderson
Shooter -Jack Coughlin
One Shot-One Kill -Charles Sasser
Dead Center -Ed Kugler
A Sniper's Journey -Gary Mitchell

i have a bunch. all non-fiction. some are better than others, but i read them all for the info

how to be a military sniper - gregory mast & hans halberstadt
illustrated manual of sniper skills - mark spicer
trigger men - hans halberstadt
sniper:a history of the us marksman - martin pegler
sniper one - sgt dan mills

and i have another i loaned out about the development of the rifle and its use in war in this country. i loaned it to a buddy

sniper one is really good. mills was in the brittish mil, 1st battalion princess of wales regiment station in iraq in 2004. great read

Thanks guys. I'm going to order Sniper One first, and then more will follow.

There's the classic "A Rifleman Went to War" by H. McBride. Non-fiction story of a Canadian guy who, as if I remember it right, was a competition shooter who joined up in 1914 and took up sniping. Lots of detail of how and why. The book was used as a textbook for US sniping instruction in WW2.

Hogs in the Shadows

Trigger Men

Sorry if the titles aren't 100% - just going off the top of my head

Ultimate Sniper - John Plaster

Currently reading Shooter by Jack Coughlin and it is also excellent.

sent you a PM.

I've got a dozen or so I need to clean out..........

The complete 50 caliber sniper's course
By Dean Michaelis

(This is an instructional manual, not a fictional entertainment read)

For basic information, also read both the US Army, and Marine Corps sniper's manuals.

The best by a long long shot (excuse the pun)

Out Of Nowhere - A History of the Military Sniper. Pegler

Great interesting read, i have loads of sniper books but this the most thorough and dosent just deal with a single branch like US marine snipers.

I SNIPER

a bob lee swagger novel
by stephen hunter

also, its just a technical manual, but FM-2310 is available online as a .PDF

Another field manual worth reading is:
FM 3-05.222 SPECIAL FORCES SNIPER TRAINING AND EMPLOYMENT

Google it and you can find downloads for free.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pat M</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hogs in the Shadows

Trigger Men

Sorry if the titles aren't 100% - just going off the top of my head

</div></div>

Hogs in the Shadows is correct, the author of that one also came out with a new one that will be hitting paperbacks in June, Milo S. Afong. Hogs in the Shadows was a pretty good collection of true stories, I haven't had a chance to read his new one yet(waiting for the paperback). Another good one was "Sniper One", which I can't think of the authors name right now.

As mentioned above, just finished up Marine Sniper ankd Silent Warrior, both chronicles of the legendary Carlos Hathcock, and both good reads. Also vote for Trigger Men by Halberstadt. These were some of my Christmas gifts and very appreciated.

I recently finished up Shooter by Sgt. Jack Coughlin and it was an excellent and easy read. I'm working on The Ultimate Sniper by Major John Plaster. This has an unbelievable amount of information in it..Another great book, although not specific to snipers is Inside Delta Force by Eric Haney....

I liked this one alot

sniper:a history of the us marksman - martin pegler