• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Recommendations for 8,000watt gas generator

long-shot

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 6, 2003
Missouri
I had my heart set on a slow turning diesel generator for emergency backup power for my house and small farm, but it's hard to justify a $5,000 heavy generator for something you hope to never need.

I have a small home that is all electric except for a LP furnace. I've put an amp meter on my big loads which are the water heater and well pump. I don't expect to be able to run my central AC so I didn't bother.

Water Heater - 17 amps @ 240 volts
Well Pump - 9 amps @ 240 volts
Furnace Fan - 9 amps @ 120 volts
The rest of the house is basically nothing with the exception of the oven and range, but I can turn off and on components to run a generator.

We lost power for 3 days and we learned we can do without powering the entire house, but hot showers and a little TV go a long way towards happiness.

I am looking at the 8,000 watt range of generators for several reasons. First, at 240 volts it provides 33 amps of current which is enough. Second, I can wire this using 30 amp plugs and receptacles to make setup quick and easy.

I like the Generac GP and XP series because I can get those at cost and may have better service through direct suppliers.

Your thoughts on durability and ease of use? Comment away!

I'm well aware of back feeding and lineman protection so please don't lecture me on safety.

Re: Recommendations for 8,000watt gas generator

A while back there was a lengthy and pretty informative discussion on portable generators. It should answer some of your questions.

Here is the link.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Slapchop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A while back there was a lengthy and pretty informative discussion on portable generators. It should answer some of your questions.

Here is the link. </div></div>

Thanks brother!

some electric companies outside big urban areas took in trade back-up generators from microwave antenna, as the power requirements were up-graded,,,,some were propane, going to diesel all had LOW hours as they were on timers for quarterly maintenance.
anyway its worth the look and do some due diligence....there are many places that got yards full of these generators

I have a ridgid. It's a pretty decent machine. Also Honda's if you can afford one of that size is probably the best bet. Everything I've ever had that was Honda couldn't be killed, short of intentionally, and sometimes not even then.

While pricey, it's hard to beat a Honda, especially with how quiet they are.

Look at Kohler brand. Quiet, well build, secure.

Had one installed with new house. First week someone took out a utility pole and generator kicked in. All automatic and worked as advertised.

Nice waking up to hot coffee.

I love the idea of a diesel on a trailer especially with the availability of farm diesel in my location, diesel is easier to store, and keeps for years with additives. The following is what I'd like to have.

http://www.generatorsales.com/order/KB900.asp?page=KB900

The Honda is a nice alternative at a lesser cost. I think the price isn't enough for me to want to deal with storing gasoline though. I'd love to see if the new'ish XP series from Generac is a true competitor to the Honda line or if it's just a rebadged XG series commanding a higher price.

http://www.electricgeneratorsdirect.com/images.php?products_id=7370

For 8k watts you need to look at natural gas or propane generators. If you have access to the gas its much cheaper and they run so well. My house is hooked up to a very large propane generator and it is quiet, not to large, and burns clean.

Not to mention it powers my whole house plus my entrance gate to my farm. Its more then adequate for what you would want.

I just think gas generators are so loud and intrusive. The smell of gas fumes would annoy me enough.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For 8k watts you need to look at natural gas or propane generators. If you have access to the gas its much cheaper and they run so well. My house is hooked up to a very large propane generator and it is quiet, not to large, and burns clean.

Not to mention it powers my whole house plus my entrance gate to my farm. Its more then adequate for what you would want.

I just think gas generators are so loud and intrusive. The smell of gas fumes would annoy me enough. </div></div>

For a rigid mounted system I agree completely. I'd like something a little more portable so I can use this to power the cattle waters or my wife's workplace or the in-laws in case of outages. The permanent mounted systems are really the way to go and I've got a 500 gallon LP tank for our furnace, but it would only power my place.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: long-shot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For 8k watts you need to look at natural gas or propane generators. If you have access to the gas its much cheaper and they run so well. My house is hooked up to a very large propane generator and it is quiet, not to large, and burns clean.

I just think gas generators are so loud and intrusive. The smell of gas fumes would annoy me enough. </div></div>

For a rigid mounted system I agree completely. I'd like something a little more portable so I can use this to power the cattle waters or my wife's workplace or the in-laws in case of outages. The permanent mounted systems are really the way to go and I've got a 500 gallon LP tank for our furnace, but it would only power my place.</div></div>

Mount the Gen set and a LP tank on a trailer, this is what I'm leaning towards doing... because I want to be able to have one that I take between my house and deer camp. an added benifit is that I can take it to be filled vs waiting on a truck to come.

I to have been looking for a generator for the house. My panel box is 200 what and half empty. I would like something that runs on different fuels. Also one that when i move in a tear or so i can take with me. My friend had an old Army generator that was 12 brush, 6 cylinder? started with a crank and would idle at 750 rpm all say. It ran his whole shop and in bad weather would tow it to the house and use it until the power came on. when he died it sold for $200. He rebuilt it and used it for over 20 yrs. Thats the type i would like.MM

I have a Generac 15000 KW that runs on LP. It was installed, wired, etc. by Home Depot for less the $5,000. It runs everything in my house! Central Heat/Air, Water heater, etc. All appliances. The best part...when emergencies happen, I get called out! I don't have to worry about my wife trying to fill it up with gas/diesel, storing gas/diesel, or if it is going to work since it is hard wired into my breaker box. Comes on once a week for a 15 minute self check, and shuts off. The absolute best piece of mind I have ever purchased.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LegioX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Linky link http://www.generatorsales.com/order/03369_alt.asp?page=H03369

I have this one on order, should be here anytime. I like the Honda driver. I've used a 20k at work that is built like this one and its awesome. A little loud but worth the trade off. We shut it down twice a week to check the oil. Never had any issues. </div></div>

Now that might fit the bill exactly! Please let me know what you think when it arrives. I hate the idea of storing gasoline, but having the extra versatility of LP or Natural Gas is appealing.

Good find.

I like the fuel efficiency of a diesel genset. Works for me because I have diesel fueled equipment and need to keep fuel on hand. I power both home and shop with a 10kva unit with no problems, but I planned ahead.