• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Recommended Semi Auto in 6.5 Creedmoor

harry_x1

Khalsa
Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 13, 2019
Hi All,

I am looking to buy a DMR type semi auto chambered in 6.5 creedmoor (occasional hunting and target shooting). I see there are some AR10 style rifles and one model from FN Scar (assuming it is long stroke piston?). My budget is flexible and looking to buy something which is reliable, accurate and of optimal weight. If anyone of you have any expereince with such rifles, please share your knowledge and advice. I will be super grateful.

thanks for your time and attention !

Harjeet

You're going to want to expand your criteria to get useful suggestions. what are your accuracy requirements? what sort of weight is a dealbreaker? Are you going to be shooting suppressed or unsuppressed or both?

Accuracy and weight will always trade off, for multiple reasons done to death elsewhere on the hide.

For me, while I know the DT MDRX doesn't have a particularly stellar forum reptuation, mine fits the criteria you describe pretty well, as I've never had any real issues with it, and depending on ammunition choices will always shoot at least 1 MoA minimum, better with the SI flash can or a suppressor to dampen the barrel harmonics and ammo that it likes. (125-130gr 6.5CM loads) There's a pic in the other semi autos thread of both rifle and grouping. my best accuracy groupings have been ~0.3

Downside is it IS a heavy rifle (~10-11 lbs depending on optics weight w/ bipod), but the weight isn't somthing I notice as much as I would with other rifles, as it is concentrated to the rear.

Reactions: harry_x1
Daniel Defense DD5 V5 in 6.5 love it

Attachments

• IMG_3454.jpg
    IMG_3454.jpg
    932.7 KB · Views: 447
How much is you budget? Flexible could mean 1k or 10k.

Do you mind being patient? Some of the top semi-autos have a big backlog. Just depends what you want.

Are you going to run a suppressor on it?

You looking for more of a battle type semi auto or precision?

You mentioned the SCAR. I know they have one in 6.5 but I don’t have hands on time with one. Regardless of the caliber, you will need to make those gas jets smaller if you don’t want it to be super overly gassed. D WILSON has some that fits the bill. @theLBC has SCAR experience.

How much is you budget? Flexible could mean 1k or 10k.

Do you mind being patient? Some of the top semi-autos have a big backlog. Just depends what you want.

Are you going to run a suppressor on it?

You looking for more of a battle type semi auto or precision?

You mentioned the SCAR. I know they have one in 6.5 but I don’t have hands on time with one. Regardless of the caliber, you will need to make those gas jets smaller if you don’t want it to be super overly gassed. D WILSON has some that fits the bill. @theLBC has SCAR experience.
don't have one in 6.5cm, but many examples are popping primers so i would hold off until they figure that out.

Reactions: FALex and Hksigfn
I wouldn’t suggest the Scar20 in 6.5 either for that same reason (popped primers). I believe they also use the same bolt for both 6.5 and 308 versions as opposed to a high pressure bolt for the 6.5.

In

thanks.. can you share your pros/cons with this rifle? How reliable and how accurate it is with match ammo? Thanks
Pros fit feel build the way it shoots and being a Daniel Defense very reliable life time warranty and full disclosure all i have done with it so far is run 2 boxes of S&B through it to sight it in tight sub moa at 100 cons its not a ray gun so i have to buy ammo

I have had a couple of AR10s in 6.5CM. I only have a Seekins SP10 currently so that tells my story. The LaRue I had shot well but just wasn’t as refined in my opinion as the Seekins. The Seekins SP10 just flat out hammers and runs fine when dirty. Their (Seekins) customer service is next level as well. I’m leaning towards trying one of their 6arc DMR rifles next.

I had Craddock Precision assemble my upper with a Bartlein 18" barrel. Put a Rubber City Armory high pressure bolt in. Rubber City also offers a adjustable gas key if you don't have a adjustable gas block. I shoot 130 ELD-M's at 2730 fps. Shoots from .60 to 1 moa.

I love my scar 20s in 6.5. I never heard about the popped primers but I had the same experience a couple months ago. I was freaking out about it as the previous sessions never experienced the issue. So I checked the lot numbers on my ammo and it seemed to be a single box of one lot that was hot. Hornady 140 eldm's. Next box of my regular lot number was fine. Only other thing that pisses me off is how loud it is suppressed. My scar 17 is nice and quiet, both 20s' are loud. I have a tbac 338sr on the 6.5.

My Seekins SP10 has been an awesomely accurate rifle. Had an MDRX in 6.5 but really didn’t shoot it enough to get a good feel for it. Have a Knight’s SR25 in 6.5 for work that hammers and feeds the 140 hybrid targets that jam in my Seekins. Just got a GAP-10 in 6.5 but haven’t shot it yet. Budget will really determine what you can get.

I got a scar, KAC m110 clones with KAC barrels and bcg, got lmt and a JP. You can’t go wrong with JP. They are stupid accurate. If you want a little bit of everything build it yourself and just get a smith to chamber a bartlein or any other top barrel and itle shoot just as good as any other brands I mentioned

I would say don’t build your own read the threads even the current ones talk about self built AR 10s in 6.5 that have problems. Actually I would say don’t self build an AR 10 period.

That said JP all the way you can build it light Short long anything in between close to 1/2 MOA With off-the-shelf Match ammo. I own three in 6.5 and many others in 308 and 556. Something positive to be said for a company owned by an individual that shoots three gun competitively you can thank me later

Seekins , JP, KAC, LMT. Lots of good stuff out there.

I have a Seekins sp10 308 that I had a proof carbon fiber prefit installed on and it is insanely accurate.

I’ve heard good things about Sargent of Arms also. Great arca set up on those if you like tripods and or comp stuff

View attachment 7705618
They have other options also

sub half MOA guarantee

I've been following these guys for a while now, not sure what to make of the T-box barrels. The SOA webpage seems to be a bit misleading, The SOA product description states they are using "hand cut barrels" but under their parts list it's Button Cut barrels? But regardless they do seem to be performing well.

Well, son of a bitch! My 20s 6.5 pierced primers and blew one out and left metal in the firing pin hole causing a misfire today. I just read a thread on the fn forum and wasn't aware that this is a problem with the 6.5. I'm not sure fn is even fixing it correctly. As much as I love the 20s, I would recommend that you go another route in 6.5 at this time. My Savage msr10lr has been flawless and exceptionally accurate. If I were to get one right now I would look at lmt, but it is unobtanium. Another candidate would be a 6.5 from sword international. Mile high has some and I thought they were very nice.

I have had a SCAR 17s in 6.5 CM since 2016. I had an extra 16" 308 barrel assembly that I sent to Dead Shot Barrels and they used the OEM bolt, gas block , receiver extension , and bottom metal and made me a 20" 1in8.5 barrel. It shoots better than I can and I haven't experienced any problems with it even running it suppressed with my SF 762K suppressor. Below is a 100 yd group . I shot the first 7 rounds then shifted my grip and position and the last 3 went lower and right I apologize for the large pictures.
SCAR 6.5 Group.jpg

A Pair Of SCAR 17s.jpg

Late to this thread, but I'm popping primers in my Adams Arms P2 with certain Hornady 140 ELD match. I like the gun, and it seems to be shooting sub moa at 1000. Spoke to Hornady a while back. When they can't get 4350 they load RL16, which is hotter, faster, and less temp stable. Note that it's suppressed with an Omega 300. I've been running the adjustable gas at 33% and I've put a 5.5 oz Spikes buffer in. Those changes stopped the primer puncturing and any of the usual primer pressure signs, but I find normal looking primers falling out. One did get stuck in the action and prevented bolt closure and live round extraction.

I love the gun, and only seem to have problems with the Hornady 140 ELD-M match that's loaded with RL 16. My solution will be to start reloading again. Maybe switch to a small primer brass. Hornady brass is said to have loose primer pockets on reloading forums.
😎
Resizer_15836229826220.jpg

Late to this thread, but I'm popping primers in my Adams Arms P2 with certain Hornady 140 ELD match. I like the gun, and it seems to be shooting sub moa at 1000. Spoke to Hornady a while back. When they can't get 4350 they load RL16, which is hotter, faster, and less temp stable. Note that it's suppressed with an Omega 300. I've been running the adjustable gas at 33% and I've put a 5.5 oz Spikes buffer in. Those changes stopped the primer puncturing and any of the usual primer pressure signs, but I find normal looking primers falling out. One did get stuck in the action and prevented bolt closure and live round extraction.

I love the gun, and only seem to have problems with the Hornady 140 ELD-M match that's loaded with RL 16. My solution will be to start reloading again. Maybe switch to a small primer brass. Hornady brass is said to have loose primer pockets on reloading forums
I solved the primer popping issue on my 6.5 reloads by using primer sealant, put a little inside the rim of the primer pocket, and it provides just enough additional adhesion to keep it there.

you can buy commercial or make your own, right now I’m using OPI nail polish and 100% acetone mixed 1:2 to make it dilute enough to flow nicely

Reactions: Mocadon
I solved the primer popping issue on my 6.5 reloads by using primer sealant, put a little inside the rim of the primer pocket, and it provides just enough additional adhesion to keep it there.

you can buy commercial or make your own, right now I’m using OPI nail polish and 100% acetone mixed 1:2 to make it dilute enough to flow nicely
I was starting to think that might work, thanks. With a tax refund coming I'm shopping for a press and components now. Looks like H4350 is still impossible to find but I saw some Staball 6.5, I think. 👍

I was starting to think that might work, thanks. With a tax refund coming I'm shopping for a press and components now. Looks like H4350 is still impossible to find but I saw some Staball 6.5, I think. 👍
I’ve been using CFE223 in mine to pretty decent success, with Ramshot TAC as my backup. both good generalist powders that work for a decent variety of common cartridges

If I was doing this today, either GAP or JP. There are other options, and lots of other customer makers, but those two, to me seem like the "easy button" that it's going to run really well. Also a lot of other high $ large frame semi's we keep hearing issues with and they seem to be hit and miss on accuracy. If budget is a concern I'd add Seekins in as well.

The SCAR 20s could be a contender, but only after FN fixes the primer issue for a 6.5. Evidently FN is working on it, but for now their answer is to only run Hornady Match 140gr ammo. Even then, for the same price....or less I'd lean to a GAP/JP.

don't have one in 6.5cm, but many examples are popping primers so i would hold off until they figure that out.
It was this same advice you gave to me regarding my desire for a SCAR 20 in 6.5 that sent me on a trip to do enough research that concluded in me not following through with that purchase...MAC's videos regarding this issue were very concerning, to say the least. I never said "thank you" for saving me a 4200.00 headache, so consider this my "thank you" for saving me from a 4200.00 headache. LOL...

I don't have any idea why a company as large as FNH would not shrink that damn FP hole. It seems their response to most who are having the problem is to shoot Hornady 140gr Match ammo, only. What an awesome way to support your customers who are spending 4k+ on your hardware, tell them they can only shoot one specific type of ammo.

OP - as far as semi's in 6.5CM go, you need to figure out what "optimal weight" means. You can have a rifle built like @bigjake83 is doing in this thread. I can personally attest to Jake's rifles being lasers. I have shot a .308 and a 5.56 that he built himself, absolute lasers.

If budget permits, I am always going to recommend a JP Enterprises LRP-07 (or the LRI-20 now). However, if you don't want to spend JP money, but want a quality, accurate rifle out of the box, I would also suggest Seekins Precision. I know lots of folks who love LMT's hardware, I just have no experience with them.

Now, let me say this: I spent four hunting seasons lugging a near-14lb LRP-07 up and down some of the mountains in Idaho. I now "lug" a 5.5lb Ruger American up and down those same mountains. Unless you're hunting in Texas, I'd suggest building a lighter rig.