• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Regarding Smokeless Powder Choices

wIg SpLiTtEr

Private
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2012
Texas
Kind of new to the reloading scene and just wondering how people go about choosing smokeless powders. It seems that there is so many choices out there while the imformation found and provided is extremely vague. I understand powder characteristics, firearm, application, and bullet weight all affect a users powder choice. I also understand that I will have to run my own trials to tailor the round, just wondering where to start. Im looking for reliability, repeatablility, and accuracy. Below are all the firearms I will be reloading for, any powder and projectile choices would be much appreciated.

( )= most common application per firearm

S&W Bodygaurd .38spl(plinking and self defense)
Glock 17L 9mm (accurate plinking)
Glock 23 .40 cal (plinking)
Springield 1911 .45ACP (plinking)
Remington 700 .222 (precision shooting)
Remington 700 .243 (precision shooting)
Armalite AR30 300WM (300-1000 yard precision shooting)

Re: Regarding Smokeless Powder Choices

You might look at accurate #2 as it will fill all the handgun requirements. I have had good luck with IMR 4198 for .223 and it should work for .222 and .243 but double check. I don't reload 300 WM but if you happen to be in Ohio PM me because I have some IMR 4831 that would be good for the WM. I inherited about 5 lbs and would like to get in the hands of someone that could use it but I don't want to ship. Hope this is of some help. By the way look at Berrys bullets for handgun projectiles. They are Pretty inexpensive and I have had good luck with them. They are plated so you have to watch the speed.
JH

the .222 will like VV133 and probably 4895 and the .243 will like IMR 4350. Just saying. Agree with the 4831 for the 300WM

I'd say Titegroup for the pistols, and H4350 for the 243 and 300WM.

You'll notice there is IMR4350, H4350, and AA4350...

All are designed to be used in the same cartridges, meaning their applications are the same, but their charge weights are DIFFERENT. They are NOT interchangeable.

That said, my experience is the Hodgdon offering is always the best.

4189 is on the marginaly fast side for .223.

H332 & 4895 are about as low as I'd go with it, up to anything quicker than H-380. See the attached burn rate chart:

Hogdon powder burn chart

In the old days, before the Internet where all information resides, (so they tell me) ....when seeking a load for any rifle, I would consult the manuals, of which I owned several. What I was looking for was the highest velocity using a powder I could get locally, since I had never ordered powder by mail order.

So, selecting a suitable powder was relatively simple, and almost always resulted in a good load or two, or three and the weeding process began in the search for best accuracy. Later, seating depth, at least for me, but standard was ten thousandths, and still is, but it's the last thing I dink around with.

I (just about) never asked anybody, face to face or by land line, since cell phones were far beyond the horizon.

The beginning handloader has it very easy today, but I think they are missing something by just logging on and reading advice; "use A or B." But, I guess that's progress? BB

4895 is a great all around powder that can be used in all of your rifles. Will it give you top performance? This depends on bullet weight. It will probably do best in your .243 and will probably push you light for caliber 300wm bullets pretty well also.

Try a slower powder for bullets heavier than 150 in your 300 like imr4831.

My ar-15 likes rl-15 but i don't have experience with 222.

Bullseye is a good pistol powder for plinking. If you are trying to duplicate carry loads or shooting magnums blue dot works well.

Ok thanks for your time and suggestions everybody!

I handload 50 cartridges and have 47 powders.

I can get by with Power Pistol in semi auto pistols, H110 in revolvers, and H4350 in rifles.

From experience, the 243 Win can be picky. If its a 1 in 9.125 twist, 100 gr flat base bullets shoot very well. My Rem 700 hates boattail bullets just like a lot of factory rifles. It has to do with the throat tolerances. Learn what an overbore is because 243 Win is an overbore! SLOW powders.