• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reloading .308/ 30 CAL with Mag LRG Rifle Primers?

ryznstr15

Private
Minuteman
Jun 2, 2009
Nevada
Hows it going all. If someone could please tell me if it is possible to reload my 308 with large magnum rifle primers and what to expect that would be great. I was told that I would have to drop my powder charge due to it burning hotter because of the magnum primer??? Any info would be great. Thanks all and be safe.

Re: Reloading .308/ 30 CAL with Mag LRG Rifle Primers?

That is the same info that I have heard also but not sure how far to drop. I would think about .5g would work. Don't start with your max load and do a normal work up. HTH

Re: Reloading .308/ 30 CAL with Mag LRG Rifle Primers?

please use caution with magnum primers.
My experience on a Sako TRG-22 was not so enthusiastic...

I use a monolithic gs-custom bullet ( 135 grains ) with Vihtavuori N-130 ( suggested by the productor ) and lapua brass.
the primers were federal gold medal large magnum rifle.
You know what?
my brass were not so happy with the magnum primers, and the primer's hole were opened up at a way that the normal primers felt down during the new reloading phase ...
Now I'm returned to the old CCI BR2 and I think that i will never use magnum primers anymore.
But, as I told you , it' is only my personal experience, and a lots depends on how you will reload your bullets.

...sorry for my english guys, I'm Italian.

Re: Reloading .308/ 30 CAL with Mag LRG Rifle Prim

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: g-1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">please use caution with magnum primers.
My experience on a Sako TRG-22 was not so enthusiastic...

I use a monolithic gs-custom bullet ( 135 grains ) with Vihtavuori N-130 ( suggested by the bullets' creator via mail ) and lapua brass.
the primers were federal gold medal large magnum rifle.
You know what?
my brass were not so happy with the magnum primers, and the primer's hole were opened up at a way that the normal primers felt down during the new reloading phase ...
Now I'm returned to the old CCI BR2 and I think that i will never use magnum primers anymore.
But, as I told you , it' is only my personal experience, and a lots depends on how you will reload your bullets.

...sorry for my english guys, I'm Italian. </div></div>

Re: Reloading .308/ 30 CAL with Mag LRG Rifle Prim

I use CCI250's in everything from 22-250 on up. Never had a problem with them. I would reduce your load 1.5-2 grains and work back up.