• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reloading books and bullets Questions

Tactical30

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 5, 2009
Eastern Ohio
I have got a couple reloading books and not all of them have the specific bullet I want to load in it. Im waiting on the Sierra load book in the mail cuz that mostly what I shoot and im sure they have all the bullet types in it. My question is if you have a bullet like a Barnes .223 62gr. M/LE bullet or a bulllet like not alot of those books cover how are you suppose to know were to start with each powder manufacturer? How far to seat the bullet? Im shooting mostly magazine fed so it would have to be under 2.260 for length. I also see alot of those books go from 50gr to 52gr to 55gr to 63gr. (what about the 62grs.?) to 69grs (68grs.?) to 70grs and stops. (what about the 75 and 77gr bullets?). Im new to reloading and just loaded 70rds of Sierra 52gr. BTHP bullets in Black Hills casings with 22.5grs.(speer book starting point for that load) of Hodgdon 322 with Magtech 7 1/2 primers (thats all the primers I could find in stock) with a COAL of 2.200. I cant wait to see what it does cuz my AR shoots Sub-MOA with the Black Hills 52gr. match ammo.
Question 3.): If I am getting good but not great accuracy with that load should I go up in powder like to maybe 23grs of the same stuff? Or if it just shoots like shit, change powder and powder load? Im thinking if you hand load a bullet that your rifle likes, its going to shoot well somewhat, I would think but I could be wrong. I have asked alot of questions on Snipers Hide about reloading cuz I just got into it and you guys helped me out well. I just dont want to start throwing rounds together not knowing much. I just have alot of bullets and none of the books I have have anything on them. What powders are good and were is the starting point for powder?
I see the Hodgdon website has the 53gr bullets but no 52gr. If you use a 52gr bullet going by the 53gr starting point powder and loads will it be close or the same? I could be way wrong with that question tho.

Re: Reloading books and bullets Questions

Sometimes all you can do is use data for a similar bullet, or contact the bullet manufacturer and they will give you some data. I generally wouldn't sweat it if the bullet weight is a few grains different, just start at the bottom of the range and work up, watching for pressure signs. Look at a few different similar bullets, and choose your starting point as an average.

Normally, you'll find 'nodes' of accuracy with a given bullet and powder, with varied charge weights. You might see excellent accuracy at a couple points in the published range. There may also be charge weights that makes the powder/bullet combo seem hopeless, but with adjusting the charge weight it turns out to work well. I definately wouldn't give up on a powder just because the first charge weight doesn't work out.

I wouldn't load 70 rounds of one load that I had not tried before. Odds are pretty good that the load will not be fantastic, then you've spent a lot of time on rounds that you're going to have to pull. The first thing you want to shoot is a ladder test or two, find your best charge weight, then seating depth, then go nuts building that load.

Load development is both simple and complex.

Take the time to actually read the chapters in the Sierra manual. They were the basis of a lot of my own path.

There is often more than one approach to the process, and reading additional manuals will help fill those in.

While practically every question that pertains can be answered here, other sites like Benchrest Central and the like can provide a similarly alternative approach.

Don't rush, get educated so when the time comes for guesses, they can be educated ones.

Expect a learning curve, and be conservative with your initial efforts. Get your assembly technique established before you venture into tricky territory. An impact puller, to disassemble your less successful efforts, will be invaluable.

Be advised that plastic tipped bullets do not stand up well to an impact puller, so save experimentation with them until you've got some experience and judgement under your belt.

Greg

"I have got a couple reloading books and not all of them have the specific bullet I want to load in it.... how are you suppose to know were to start with each powder manufacturer?"

Easy. Follow the common admonition to "Start low and work up only if you see no excess pressure signs." THAT rule is the ONE RULE we cannot safely avoid.

There is no magic in book data provided by the maker of or for a specific bullet or powder. ALL loads have to be worked up and tested as we go.

Amen. Bullet weight is ony one of several pertinent factors, like bearing length, seating depth, and others, which all cooperate to dictate the pressure curve. Stick to Sierra recommended accuracy loads for your initial efforts, they should be safe, and could be accurate for your rifle as well as for the one in which they were developed and tested. However well they shoot, experiment by increasing/decreasing charges in increments (I suggest 1% increments, i.e for a 45gr load, 44.5, - 44.45 rounded -, and 45.5 -, ditto) to see what the alteration accomplishes on the target. If the increments venture into max load territory, I'd omit them for the duration of the inital learning curve.

You may find the idea of hotloading to be facinating. We all did. We all also learned that there's a good reason why it's discouraged. Learn from our msitakes, and save yourself all that needless wasted time and aggravation.

Substituting bullets is rather more of an advanced technique. Stick to specific loads in manual-defined load ranges with specified bullets until you learn to interpret the multiple realtionships between load alterations and results.

<span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">Learn how to recognize and interpret excess pressure signs.</span></span>

Find a local mentor, ask around where you buy your components.

There need not be anything scary about handloading. What scares you will be of your own making, so learn caution and you'll be fine.

Greg