• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reloading newbie, need advice on equipment

LawnMM

Harbinger of Sarcasm
Minuteman
  • Jul 5, 2009
    Colorado
    I was contemplating a case or two of the Federal Match Ammo on sale at Midway but I've been swayed by the knowledgeable folks here to look into reloading supplies instead. It may net me less ammo initially but I'll be set up for more cost effective and custom loaded ammo from here on.

My budget is 450.00, I can fudge a bit more for shipping costs and the like but I can't go much more than 50-75 over that. I've compiled the list below based on price and ratings at Midway. Have a look, feel free to suggest different stuff or shoot down anything I've listed. I have no knowledge of this, but I'm a quick learner and am interested in getting started.

Here's the list thus far, lands right about 500 even after hazmat and shipping fees...

-Hodgdon Varget Smokeless Powder 1 lb
    Product #: 963843
    $23.49 x2 = $46.98
    -Lyman AccuTrimmer Kit with 9 Pilots
    Product #: 755364
    $49.99
    -Lee "Modern Reloading 2nd Edition" Reloading Manual
    Product #: 484416
    $13.99
    -MTM Mini Digital Reloading Scale 750 Grain Capacity
    Product #: 713049
    $39.99
    -Frankford Arsenal Quick-N-EZ Case Tumbler 110 Volt
    Product #: 587176
    $52.99
    -CCI Large Rifle Primers #200 Box of 1000 (10 Trays of 100)
    Product #: 151578
    $32.99
    -Winchester Reloading Brass 308 Winchester Bag of 50
    Product #: 176376
    $20.99 x2 = $41.98
    -Sierra MatchKing Bullets 30 Caliber (308 Diameter) 175 Grain Hollow Point Boat Tail Box of 100
    Product #: 335572
    $32.99
    -RCBS Seater Die 307, 308 Winchester
    Product #: 242330
    $24.99
    -RCBS Partner Single Stage Press
    Product #: 403729
    $79.99
    -RCBS Ram Priming Unit
    Product #: 416519
    $23.99

Any and all suggestions welcome. I have some brass saved up, about a case worth (200 pieces) of Federal brass from a case of FGMM and I'm working my way through a case of Southwest Ammo 175s. Some of that brass is a bit dinged up right out of the box before firing though and I don't know the history of how many reloads its already been through.

Thanks in advance!

Rich

Re: Reloading newbie, need advice on equipment

Your location says Denver. If that is true, there are a number of places that sell powder there. Heck, you can buy Varget at Walmart here. No need to pay retail and then some + hazmat for powder. Unless you have a credit with Midway or something, I would skip that and buy local. Same advice on primers. For what you save on your hazmat fees, you can add some sort of case lubing system (RCBS tray + case lube, spray lube and baggies, etc.) and a couple of small hand tools - a hand primer pocket cleaner, and some neck chamferring tools. You have just a seater die. Unless you have some kind of sizing die around, you would be better off buying a set. Another must have item in my opinion is some sort of a powder thrower. I think you are going to get sick of doing it by hand. If you want precise reloads, especially with stick powder like Varget, you are probably going to need a powder thrower and trickler.

Awesome tip on the powder and primers. Never would have thought to look at wally world for it. I will look into all of that!

Why not just buy a Rock Chucker kit and be done with it?? +1 on buying powder & primers local especially if your only buying it buy the pound. I personally am not a fan of electronic scales and would recommend sticking with a balance beam style.

Otherwise good luck!

Walmart in my neck of the woods has everything one would need to start, including RCBS Rock chucker starter kit. Check with other guys in your area and see where they are buying. I would suggest a manufacturer specific load manual instead of the LEE, Like Sierra if that is what you are shooting.
    I have a friend who has turned out some pretty good ammo on a Lee Anniversary kit which he bought when he started for under a 100 bucks.It had just about everything he needed to start.
    I didn't see calipers on your list, GOTTA HAVE EM'!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 10Truck</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why not just buy a Rock Chucker kit and be done with it?? +1 on buying powder & primers local especially if your only buying it buy the pound. I personally am not a fan of electronic scales and would recommend sticking with a balance beam style.

Otherwise good luck! </div></div>Funny you should say that. I was looking at those and it seems like a good starting point. Seems lime it comes with everything but dies.

I may pick one up and save myself the trouble of putting a kit together from scratch. Found a sportsmans warehouse nearby. That will save me shipping and hazmat fees.

Rock chucker kit is a good starting point then? Anybody had issues with it? Any weaknesses in the kit i should augment with a nicer unit?

Rock Chucker is a household name in the reloading world. It will more than likely outlive you and is probably the most used press in existence.
    Don't forget those calipers!!!
    Good Shooting
    reeljob

RCBS stuff is fine. My father has been using a RCBS press for 30+ years!! If you have the extra cash i would recommend buying Redding dies, if not, RCBS or even Lee will be fine to get you started.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: reeljob</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rock Chucker is a household name in the reloading world. It will more than likely outlive you and is probably the most used press in existence.
    Don't forget those calipers!!!
    Good Shooting
    reeljob </div></div>

I have a set of Lyman digital calipers that measure down to 0.001"...also does millimeters. Pretty nice, got it on sale, I think that will be adequate, gonna need some batteries though!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 10Truck</div><div class="ubbcode-body">RCBS stuff is fine. My father has been using a RCBS press for 30+ years!! If you have the extra cash i would recommend buying Redding dies, if not, RCBS or even Lee will be fine to get you started. </div></div>

I will look into those. Kinda excited, might go this weekend and pick the stuff up, can't wait

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 10Truck</div><div class="ubbcode-body">RCBS stuff is fine. My father has been using a RCBS press for 30+ years!! If you have the extra cash i would recommend buying Redding dies, if not, RCBS or even Lee will be fine to get you started. </div></div>
    And incase you are wondering LawnMM the RCBS, Lee, Hornady and Redding dies will all thread into the Rock Chucker.
    +1 on the Redding dies!
    Reloading Bullets is not rocket science but I warn you you will become addicted and your past views on "good enough" related to group size is about end and a new way of thinking is about to begin. Most of us are hard to satisfy because of the I can make it even better attitude that comes with handloading!
    Good luck

I'm already a bit of a perfectionist so this whole concept sounds like a load of fun to me! =)

+1 on the reloading kit. I purchased a Lyman kit with a single stage press. The only reason i got it over the RCBS was the fact it came with a poder measure and the RCBS kit i looked at did not. $320 for the kit left me enough cash for a tumbler, media, digital caliper, and a few other essetials, dies and so on. Good luck, you will probably never go back.

Well looking at your starting list and what the others recommended I would look into the RCBS RockChucker Kit. If possible get the Rock Chucker Supreme Master Single Stage Press Kit. It shows it in the new Midway catalog having the press, balance scale, hand priming tool and the Uni-Flo powder measure, lube pad, loading tray and a good inside/outside neck mouth chamfer deburring tool and a Speer Reloading manual for $339.99 Midway price.
    Get you the caliper you like, I use both but batteries don't die on a manual dial caliper.
    The Ram priming unit I wouldn't get. The hand one with the kit is good enough and less hassle I would think but I have the RCBS bench mounted priming tool that is easy too use too and less hand cramps.
    The Frankford Arsenal Quick-N-EZ Case Tumbler Master Kit with Quick-N-EZ Rotary Media Separator 110 Volt Product #: 414369 comes with the tumbler and the media separator, media, polish for $73.99 from Midway will get you going for a starting out.
    Case trimmer you selected is good too, I use Forester sort of like it and I'm partial to the Lee Case Length Gages with the cutter tool and power adapter for a drill or cordless screwdriver. Lee Tools are cheaper and no brainer to use but take a little longer.
    Lee Universal Shellholders Package of 11 Product #: 786187 $24.99. They will work on the RCBS Rock Chucker just fine. Not sure about the hand priming tool in the kit but I think it should work with it too.
    Get a set of dies, sizer and a seater. I like Full Length (FL)sizer over a neck sizer for most of my reloading needs because I shoot a lot of my reloads through my AR15's and the chambers can vary in diameter some. Neck Sizing is for benchrest and those whose reloaded ammo is going to be shot just out of one rifle, one chamber and reloaded again just for that one rifle. If I was starting out I would go with Full Length sizer and work up from there.
    Another thing I would get is a Wilson Case gage. It is good to check your brass with after resizing to see if it will fit your chamber, kind of quality control, tells you if your head space is off, case length is to long. Also good for setting up your sizing die on your press too by running your brass in the die while your adjusting it then popping it into the case gauge to see if it fully goes in the gage or it stops short of going in all the way then you turn the die down some more, run the case through the die and back into the case guage till it seats fully in the case guage. Way quicker than dail caliper checking it to see if the case is sized right.
    A later purchase down the road would be a powder measure stand for the powder measure in the RC Kit.
    As recommended by the others just support your local reloading component shops and buy your bullets, powder, primers, cases. Also get you a Seirra and Hornady Reloading manuals too. Lee Manual is good but it can be a little limiting on thier loadings. Good reference for lead bullets loads though. Good Luck!

Been pricing stuff at sportsmans warehouse which is local and will save on hazmat and shipping as suggested.

Revised list...

RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Kit
    Item #: 317975
    Type: Single Stage
    $299.99 $299.99

RCBS Trim Pro Manual Case Trimmer
    Item #: 306600
    $94.99 $94.99

Redding Rifle Die Set
    Item #: 316128
    Model: Full Length Die Set
    Caliber: 308 Winchester/307 Winchester
    Shell Holder Nbr: 1
    $34.99 $34.99

Frankford Arsenal Quick-N-Easy Master Tumbler Kit
    Item #: 1213603
    $89.99 $89.99

Sierra Bullets 308 Dia. 175 Grain HPBT MatchKing
    Item #: 305610
    Caliber: 30 Caliber
    Grains: 175.0
    Diameter: 0.308
    $33.99 $33.99

Hodgdon Powder Varget
    Item #: 303906
    Container: 1 lb
    Powder Model: VARGET
    $24.99 $24.99

CCI Primers
    Item #: 304199
    Pack Qty: 1000
    Primer Model: 200
    Primer Use: Large Rifle
    $29.99 $29.99

Hornady Lock-N-Load® OAL Gauge Straight
    Item #: 300218
    $34.99 $34.99

Hornady Lock-N-Load® Modified Case
    Item #: 300237
    Case: 308 Winchester
    $5.99 $5.99

The redding dies are full length. I'm a little lost on a gauge for measuring the overall length, will the Hornady work for that? Is there something better?

A lot of great suggestions above. One thing I'd suggest would be Lee Deluxe Die sets, which come with both FL and neck sizing dies, are inexpensive an are very easy to use for beginners. I would also consider a Lyman reloading guide, which is quite thorough and detailed.

I've only done limited reading on this but it seems like a lot of folks are leaning towards full length sizing rather than neck sizing for a variety of reasons.

Is one better than the other? Is it possible to do both?

The Rock Chucker kit is a great kit.

Skip the Lee book. It sucks. Get the Lyman book for introductory material, and a couple of manuals from the bullet manufacturers you plan on using.

You can also get free load data from Hodgdons, Accurate, VV and probably others.

The OAL gauge is nice, but you can skip on it initially to save some cash or put it towards other components. I'd get the hang of reloading first, then in a few months get the gauge once you figure somethings out.

RE: FL v Neck sizing

FL sizing absolutely necessary for gas guns.

In bolt guns, you might be able to get away with neck sizing for quite some time before having to FL size some brass. Some reloaders will throw brass away once they have to FL size it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eleaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Rock Chucker kit is a great kit.

Skip the Lee book. It sucks. Get the Lyman book for introductory material, and a couple of manuals from the bullet manufacturers you plan on using.

You can also get free load data from Hodgdons, Accurate, VV and probably others.

The OAL gauge is nice, but you can skip on it initially to save some cash or put it towards other components. I'd get the hang of reloading first, then in a few months get the gauge once you figure somethings out.

RE: FL v Neck sizing

FL sizing absolutely necessary for gas guns.

In bolt guns, you might be able to get away with neck sizing for quite some time before having to FL size some brass. Some reloaders will throw brass away once they have to FL size it. </div></div>

Where better to spend the funds? Is an OAL gauge like that the same idea as a comparitor? Or different tools that do different/same thing?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BayouSlide</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I were to start over again with just one reloading book it would be Sierra's...tons of great info on reloading. </div></div>

I'm going to cut my teeth on Sierra 175s but may eventually get into some Amax or Berger rounds too. The kit comes with a Speer manual...I think I'll pick up the sierra manual also.

Experiment with all types of bullets and weights if you can, your rifle may like one brand over the other.

And if your shooting a bolt gun get a 3 piece die set, neck sizing can usually be done 3-4 times before a full body sizing is necessary. And don't forget a good caliper!!