• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rem 40X .22 US, ready to run.

GUNNER75

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jun 29, 2005
    SW KS
    Just picked up a nice little rifle. Any 40X .22 guys on here that can give me any info on these rifles? Will post pics later.
    No, I didn't run the search very hard yet, but will.

Here she is. Ready to run.

IMG_1822.jpg

Re: Rem 40X .22 US

I have been around several of them & not run across a single one that has not shoot extremely well. I generally take them out of the stock for a good cleaning. It seems that the bolts always need a good soak in kerosene to loosen & remove the grease that has firmed up over the years. I give the bbl good scrubbing the first time & then just run dry patches through it an oiled patch if I'm not going to shoot for awhile. I back off the bbl tension screws near the end of the forearm so they don't touch the bbl. However you can use them if you wish. I leave out the middle screw in the bottom metal. Mine shot better that way. If you wish you can take all the hardware off the stock & run it through the "Pot Scrubber" cycle in the dish washer then genuine tung oil or the finish of your choice. Mine seems to shoot most all ammo very well. From Wolf Match Xtra to Federal blue box from Wally world. Enjoy your new rifle.
    Semper FI

I'm not sure what you may already know:

Round bolt knob models were built around the 722 action. No suffix on S/N
    Checkered oval knob is the 700 style action. B or R suffix on S/N.
    Either will fit in any 700SA stock, but will have to modify for safety on a 722 style action. Most Rem 700 aftermarket triggers will interchange between either style.

The CMP offered 2 styles:
    Standard barrel .750 muzzle dia most were 722 style actions
    Heavy Barrel .875 muzzle most were 700 style actions

I really know nothing about these rifles. I have a 513T that shoot's great, and always wanted one of these.

Look forward to building it up.

Should have had pics of it already, but don't. Have a stock I am working over right now to dress it up with. Very soon on optics and misc other items.

Re: Rem 40X .22 US with pics.

Here is stage 1. Cleaned up and replaced factory stock with BCS1000 stock (available at Iron Brigade Armory) and factory BDL floorplate and screws.

40X22Original.jpg

40X22BC.jpg

Stage 2: Scope, rings, base. Soon I hope.

an associate allowed me to take a few shots with his. with a can and aguila sss it was shooting .75 to and inch at 100 yds! the only sound was the firing pin hitting the shell. he put an insanely large amount of money into it, not only machine work but accessories like and mcmillian a-5 (may have been a a-4), stock, leopold glass, etc. one of the finest tactical looking and operational rifles i've seen or shot. if i had the dough i would definately bake with that! he did rebarrel it.

the coolest thing is that it was a .22!

Awesome set up, I'm jealous!! Show us some groups after your next range session.

Will probably have it completed this evening. Will post pics of finial set up. Last stage will be shooting it.

Well, hopefully I can take it out this weekend and sight it in.

Will post results.

They are getting ready to release some more .22 40X rifles at CMP. I have been told that there is over 1000 of them and they are marked USN.

Any word on what they will be asking?
    Anybody close to one that could pick up some for people?
    I know they will go fast.
    To fast to place an order.

Check out the rifle sales section of the CMP web site. No 40x's yet. odcmp.org [/email]

There are some inside folks that can somehow "put aside" a certain rifle for people sometimes. I have been told that there may also be some barreled actions available.

called The CMP today and was told they are NOT receiving any 40X .22lr in. hmmm....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hrdrok</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They are getting ready to release some more .22 40X rifles at CMP. I have been told that there is over 1000 of them and they are marked USN. </div></div>

I would LOVE to know where this credible info came from. Besides the fact that the CMP is so over-loaded with other orders and will be shutting down their stores for 2 weeks this month as it is. And that the military training rifles are marked "US Property" and not USN.

not all were marked US Property. Some were not marked like the H&R M65 Reising used in WWII by the USMC, Then the MC-58 used by the USMC in the very late 50's. The USMC 40x's I believe were stamped USMC. Some Winchester 52 C's like mine just had a DOD stamp in the stock. My 52D has US on it. So never say never on US training rifles.

I have 3 cmp .22's I have purchased in the past. #1 heavy barrel 700/40x (I forget which action) is marked us property, #2 700 or 40x? (again I forget) sporter wgt barrel is marked "USMC Property". The Rem actions are factory stamped. I also have a 3rd it is a Win 52D heavy barrel from the cmp and it is engraved by hand in a really sloppy manner "us property".

If you get the oppurtunity to get one I would go for it. Get on the CMP email list and check the web site often. Also be sure you have a membership to a club that is CMP affiliated or you will not make the cut fast enough if a limited amount become available.The cmp has certain criteria for you to meet before they will sell the rifle.The most difficult to satisfy quickly is the membership to a cmp club.

Orest Micheals who is the Director at the CMP has stated that there will be no 40x rifles this year. The big push over there is the last of the Carbines and then the Garands. Both are targeted weapons by the anti-gun AW bans that are floating arround. Raum "dead fish" Emanule tried to close the CMP under Clinton and the feeling at the CMP is that rifle sales are not going to continue under the new administration. There's an Ask Orest thread over at the CMP boards so I'd ask there if you are in doubt. Donald