• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rem 700 5r

muleman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 8, 2010
Denton, Neb.
Whats a good price on a used 300WM or 308, with some use on it? Seems like I just as well buy new for what I've seen priced!!

Re: Rem 700 5r

As low as possible? I'd say since the 308 in 5r goes for around $1,000. I'd say anything around that price range.

They sell new for 1,022. Go for a new one unless you can find a better deal than that.

Fin Feather and Fur in Ashland OH has the Rem Mil Spec 5r 308 for less than 1k, it was like 980. check their web site or call them.

1Kish (<1050) on the 308 r5 is common new. Guns don't depreciate like other things, so buying new is generally a good option.

I thought I'd try finding a decent used one for $750-800, looks like I may have to buy new.

From looking around, and with everyone wanting top dollar, you would probably be better off to just buy new. In addition, when you buy new, you know what you are getting and that nobody has run any hot loads, etc. through it.

The one I got right now was a couple bucks over $1000.

I went to another gun store and I guess I made a big enough fuss about it. Sales guy motions for me to come over and pulls one off the rack with a 20 inch threaded barrel.

Curious as I was the price tag of $1100+change was their undoing in a future business deal.

No thank you, sir!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArmaHeavy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The one I got right now was a couple bucks over $1000.

I went to another gun store and I guess I made a big enough fuss about it. Sales guy motions for me to come over and pulls one off the rack with a 20 inch threaded barrel.

Curious as I was the price tag of $1100+change was their undoing in a future business deal.

No thank you, sir! </div></div>

I didn't know civilian factory Remington 5Rs came in anything other than stainless steel receivers with plain stainless steel 24" barrels in HS pillar stocks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YAOG</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArmaHeavy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The one I got right now was a couple bucks over $1000.

I didn't know civilian factory Remington 5Rs came in anything other than stainless steel receivers with plain stainless steel 24" barrels in HS pillar stocks.

</div></div>
They now offer a 20" model prethreaded. My only complaint is the thread protector is kinda chinzy. Everything else was identical.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Daps!</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YAOG</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArmaHeavy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The one I got right now was a couple bucks over $1000.

</div></div>
They now offer a 20" model prethreaded. My only complaint is the thread protector is kinda chinzy. Everything else was identical. </div></div>

Do you have a link that shows the 20" 5r, I'm unable to find it.

I've only seen the 20" threaded 5r on Gunbroker and if I remember correctly it was a hair over 1k so I don't think the gun dealer was being unfair asking $1,100.

If you have your heart set on a Remy 5r rifle, I'd say buy new. From what I've seen, guys are asking premium prices for these rifles on the used market.

Personally, I really don't get what is so great about these rifles, except that they have the 5r rifling that everyone seems to be going nuts over as though you have to have it to shoot well.

Assuming a price of $1100, you're still getting a mass manufactured rifle with a mass manufactured barrel. For about the same money, you can get a 700 action from Brownell's ($400) that includes the bolt and an X-Mark Pro trigger. Get an HSP pull off stock for about $200 and get yourself a good barrel from Rock, Krieger, etc. for about $300 and give it to your smith. Mine charged me about $300 to put it all together. I'll venture a guess and say that my rifle is better than an off the shelf Remington.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TonyAngel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you have your heart set on a Remy 5r rifle, I'd say buy new. From what I've seen, guys are asking premium prices for these rifles on the used market.

Personally, I really don't get what is so great about these rifles, except that they have the 5r rifling that everyone seems to be going nuts over as though you have to have it to shoot well.

Assuming a price of $1100, you're still getting a mass manufactured rifle with a mass manufactured barrel. For about the same money, you can get a 700 action from Brownell's ($400) that includes the bolt and an X-Mark Pro trigger. Get an HSP pull off stock for about $200 and get yourself a good barrel from Rock, Krieger, etc. for about $300 and give it to your smith. Mine charged me about $300 to put it all together. I'll venture a guess and say that my rifle is better than an off the shelf Remington. </div></div>

TonyAngel,

The line item pricing is a bit low but the idea is a solid one and the OP will more than likely have a slightly better shooting rifle if the gunsmith has even only mediocre skill. Of course I've seen some crappy shooting rifles put together by gunsmiths out there so the OP would be wise to have personal knowledge of the gunsmith he chooses to employ.

If you look long and hard enough you can find a 5R for a decent price, but it is basically a supply and demand thing.

Limited supply + high demand = higher prices

This is one of those things that unless you really look around some, you are probably just better off buying new.

Was going to add as an edit but got too long.

Using Brownell's current sale pricing, Remington 700 SA in S.S. $550, Shilen S.S. 26" .308 Varmint contoured barrel $360, I'll give you the HSP stock for $200 but many people dislike them even though IMO they are a decent stock (if having a fat grip). The OP will still need bottom metal, internal magazine, spring, follower etc. and misc. screws and what not adding another $50-$75 is you can find them in good shape used. So if you keep the Rem trigger and have a good gunsmith blueprint the complete action, headspace and finish polish the chamber and tune the stock Remington trigger in SoCal at least the gunsmith's bill will come to about $450 for a grand total of about $1,625 or so.

For the modest improvement I think I'd buy a used 5R and drop the action and say a Rifle Basic or Timney trigger into a better stock and call it a day for the same kind of money. IMO a good trigger and better fitting stock will more than make up the difference in group size unless the HSP stock fits the OP perfectly out of the box.

HTH!

As I've said before the big green is so hit and miss these days you are taking a gamble with $1k of hard earned money.

I like the other posters ideas of building a rifle from scratch much better. I hardly believe a custom with a good cut rifled barrel will be beat by any off the shelf gun. Instantly you are getting a better cut chamber than what the lawyers at Remington will dictate that you enjoy. You will get to choose a better stock. As the PSV096 leaves much to be desired. I had to put over 500 rounds through my 5r before it quit holding copper like it was the end of times. With over 1000 rounds through it now it it just beginning to shoot more consistently with less magical flyers. I suppose it took a while to smooth out the broken glass like throat.

I recently had it rebedded after a well known smith here on he hide took a crack at it awhile back. He shall remain nameless but let's say it had a ton of stress in it. In the beginning it was a .7 to .8moa rifle for the first 500 or so rounds with flyers that would blow the groups often over an 1". This was before and after it was bedded. The rifle will now shoot .6s usually with the occasional low .5s using handloads since I've put more rounds through it. Haven't shot it yet, I got it back with the bedding redone (done correctly) but it's reportedly a 1 hole shooter with fgmm now.

Point that it took a lot of time and ammo for me to "break it in" and it should have been shooting like that out of the box. It's all about your expectations. If you want a no BS .5 moa gun with good ammo then you may not get what you expect with the big green.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bjordan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Daps!</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YAOG</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArmaHeavy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The one I got right now was a couple bucks over $1000.

</div></div>
They now offer a 20" model prethreaded. My only complaint is the thread protector is kinda chinzy. Everything else was identical. </div></div>

Do you have a link that shows the 20" 5r, I'm unable to find it. </div></div>

The 20" threaded 5R's are a Acusport special, not a Remington cataloged item.

I just got done putting together my Rem 5r 300WM. With shipping and fees I was under $1100 shipped into kalifornia. I have 0 complaints about the rifle in fact I am very happy with it, guess I lucked out??

I dropped the numbers that I did in my last post, because it's how my last rifle was built (give or take $100), although I did forget the cost of the bottom metal.

DSCF0900.jpg

A couple of extras were added, like the Holland bolt handle/knob, Wyatt's DBM and Shilen trigger that I didn't include in the cost because they weren't necessary to get the rifle up and running.

The Krieger barrel took five rounds to break it in. With the first round, I got a very slight indication of copper. By the time I got to the fifth, I got no indication of copper. An average range trip consists of 150 rounds down the pipe and I have yet to see any copper come out of it. Cleaning it usually takes five patches. I really don't miss the days of having to scrub a Remington barrel to get the copper out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TonyAngel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I dropped the numbers that I did in my last post, because it's how my last rifle was built (give or take $100), although I did forget the cost of the bottom metal.

DSCF0900.jpg

A couple of extras were added, like the Holland bolt handle/knob, Wyatt's DBM and Shilen trigger that I didn't include in the cost because they weren't necessary to get the rifle up and running.

The Krieger barrel took five rounds to break it in. With the first round, I got a very slight indication of copper. By the time I got to the fifth, I got no indication of copper. An average range trip consists of 150 rounds down the pipe and I have yet to see any copper come out of it. Cleaning it usually takes five patches. I really don't miss the days of having to scrub a Remington barrel to get the copper out. </div></div>

I only run a patch with bore cleaner through it every couple of hundred rounds or so. I have never scrubbed my Rem 700 heavy barrel and have never had to. The barrel always shot very well and after a couple of patches comes up clean. My theory is that if it's shooting well don't clean it.

All of our 700P work guns hold an insane amount of copper just after 10 rounds. And none of them are remotely close to being a 1 hole wonder. They shoot more like the $800 (.gov price) they cost. Once again hit and miss. Some folks get "lucky."

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tango__Down</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All of our 700P work guns hold an insane amount of copper just after 10 rounds. And none of them are remotely close to being a 1 hole wonder. They shoot more like the $800 (.gov price) they cost. Once again hit and miss. Some folks get "lucky." </div></div>

I bought my Remington 700 BDL new almost 40 years ago. Being a hand loader it has seen a few rounds through it, a little over 9,000 rounds or so down the pipe. That old 700 still shoots very well though I think the throat is getting a bit long. But my old Rem 700 has always been a very good shooting gun and very easy to clean which is maybe why it is one of the weapons I have kept while others have come and gone.

I got mine for $1050 or so. If I cant get it to shoot with FGMM 175'S to less than an inch, off it goes to the smith for skim bedding, crown job and a jewell HVR trigger set at 2 lbs. he's gonna charge me about $500 for both parts and labor. I will still have less invested in gun alone than buying an action, barrel, stock etc. I will worry about bottom metal, and magazine later.

I love my 5r in 308. I picked mine up for $1040 out the door. My bud bought the one in 300 wm as well both shoot really good i was very pleased and mine has been very easy to clean so far. Like anything in production you get good and bad.