• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rem 700P Group at 100 yards after Bed Job ?

Jezzro2004

Private
Minuteman
Aug 19, 2011
www.savageftrreview.webs.com
Hey I just got threw getting my rifle bedded and got a chance to load some round, what I would like some info on 1.)do these groups look good? 2.) if you changed anything on vertical stringing would you? How? Thanks for the Input Heres the load/Data Info.
Remington Fire-formed Cases (primer pocket uniformed/flash hole deburred
Lapua Scenar 155Gr Bullets weighed out to 154.4 gr
Winchester Magnum Primer
46.9 Gr Varget
C.O.A.L. 2.888
OGive 2.253
Remington 700P 26 in HB
Bed Job
Light Trigger
Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x50mm Scope
Burris 30mm Rings
Tps Steel Base
Wind was perfect,did not move grass, leaves
8:00 pm
temp 80.4F

Shot 1.) Cold Bore is in the top left corner (red) fps unknown
Shot 2.) Top left Hand Corner (red) 2896 fps
Shot 3.) Top leftHand Corner (red) 2878 fps
Shot 4.) Top left Hand Corner (red) 2897 fps
I felt that these shots were shooter error

Shot 5.) Bottom Right Hand Corner (blue) 2899 fps
Shot 6.) Bottom Right Hand Corner (blue) 2891 fps
Shot 7.) Bottom Right Hand Corner (blue) 2861 fps

Shots 5-7 Measured .888 in length x .698

Shot 8.) red bottom left hand corner 2891 fps
Shot 9.) blue bottom left hand corner 2872 fps
shot 10.) Black bottom left hand corner 2879 fps

Shots 8-10 measured .793x .303

Do you think shots 5-8 are Human Error, everything is tight on the rifle. Action screws are just snugged, Would you consider room for improvement? Any input is appreciated Also I shot groups on bi-pod, would something more soft help? Thanks
Groupafterbedjob.jpg

Re: Rem 700P Group at 100 yards after Bed Job ?

Q1. Do these groups look good?

A: Are they better than you usually shoot? Some guys here would slash their own throats if they had groups like the first one. Some guys would be jumping for joy.

Q2. How would you change something about vertical stringing?

A: Could be anything. We don't know anything about your rifle. We don't know if you are shooting prone. We don't know if you are leaning on the gun when you let it go. We don't know how you are loading the bi-pod. We don't know what your trigger break, sight picture, follow-through, etc. look like.

Q3. Are shots 5-8 human error?

A: Yes. Is it possible that you would have a group that size if you put your stick in a sled? Sure. Some guys here make sure their loads have SD in the single digits - you've got rounds that are 50 fps off of each other. Not huge at 100, but not stellar ammo? Plus it looks like you're not getting the same picture/follow through for each shot. But I'm guessing from a photo, not from watching you shoot, so I could be off by a mile. But if you bagged the front and back of the rifle, and shot like the pros here (there are quite a few), you'd probably see a better group. And their groups would have human error in them as well - just less than yours.

Q4. Is there room for improvement?

A: Yes.

Best advice I ever got came from Clint Smith: "It ain't the gun." Go shoot lots more.

Just my opinion, I think that maybe you are pushing them too fast. I have the same rifle and it prefers 43 grains of varget. I will usually have all shots touching on a good day. I noticed with my rifle, the faster I pushed the bullet, the more open they became. That being said, I know every gun is different. I also noticed that my rifle likes 175 grain bullets compared to the lighter ones.

good shooting,
coach

I shoot 155's with 47 gr of varget all the time. I wouldn't consider these pushed to hard.

Not saying anything is wrong with pushing one that hard. Pressures may be fine, but I have found out that the fastest bullet is not always the most accurate. The only reason that I mentioned it is my rem setup is similar to his.

Like I posted on 700rifle Jezzaro2004 try messing with the powder amount + and - and see if it gets better. Also try some match primers. Also according to Hodgdon 47.0 of Varget for a 155 is the max they are showing. Another thing is trigger control do you use the tip of the finger or the inside crease ? LL here posted a video how finger placement on the trigger can effect the groups. As for to hot I will run some QL numbers to see what it says.

Aron-

I forgot to add that my rifle has that really long throat in it aswell. However I have not neckturned these brass I shot this group with, but on the first run of my ingredients I have above I did get sub moa group at 900 yards with the remington brass but I believe that was consistent luck,lol. Something I have considered that may hav or it may not but I am going try it and that's a concentricity gauge, probably the hornady. While I do want decent hits at long range I still like to see 100 yard accuracy. I have shot clover type groups with this gun at 100 yards with hornady match 168, so I know its got potential, I feel its a concentric problem all my powder charges are dead on, another thing I think that has hurt me is that I just got a bunch of this remington brass from my buddy number of shots vary from 1 to the other I feel that this could be the problem because as I stated earlier I got a killer group with 12 remington cases using the same load at 900 yards. I just feel its a concentricity problem though, most of it anyway. I have had some good hits at 600 + yards but I still have 1/3 or 1/4 of what I load to be fliers, I used a lee neck sizer and full length, and rcbs comp die.

I also believe ill outside neck turn lightly on the next batch cause I believe I neck turned on the 12 remington cases I mentioned earlier. On this next batch I'm gonna full length, uniform the primer pocket/flash hole neck turn lightly sort the weight and hopefully use a concentricity gauge too. Another thing that would be a good opinion to have is do any of you guys find a llighter neck tension to be more consistent, I'm thinking that might have been what made those first 12 remingtons I loaded better?

I;ll bet your 700 would have shot those groups with the factory bedding... did you shoot it a lot before the new bedding.

In any case, I think these are excellent groups and presumably this was at 100 yards.... On my end, I call a group nowadays five shots instead of three. I believe getting three shot groups to look good happens a lot easier than 5 shot groups.

Also, for me I definitely shoot tighter groups prone on a shooting mat, with pressure forward on the Harris bipod, stock snug to my collarbone, light cheek weld, than I do on the concrete shooting table at my range. Groups are much less vertically strung out, and tighter on horizontal.