• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rem. nickel plated .223 brass

usmcsniperone

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 6, 2009
upstate ny..boonies
I heard Rem. discontinued making it. I like it because I can find my brass in the hay while woodchuckin. I started using it for highpower comp. because the "Brass Rats" used to scarf up all the brass and I could pick mine out of their stash!
Mine are getting old and I need to find some.

Re: Rem. nickel plated .223 brass

Midway Sells it, hell seems while I am looking for 223 and 308 brass nickel is always avail when brass isnt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: usmcsniperone</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I heard Rem. discontinued making it. I like it because I can find my brass in the hay while woodchuckin. I started using it for highpower comp. because the "Brass Rats" used to scarf up all the brass and I could pick mine out of their stash!
Mine are getting old and I need to find some. </div></div>

This is OT, but people really snag your brass from the grond in front of you during a match? I think I'd go off... some guy at a crap-ass range in NE Delaware tried to tell me that I couldn't keep my 30-30 brass if it hit the ground, it belonged to the state then.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: usmcsniperone</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I heard Rem. discontinued making it. I like it because I can find my brass in the hay while woodchuckin. I started using it for highpower comp. because the "Brass Rats" used to scarf up all the brass and I could pick mine out of their stash!

This is OT, but people really snag your brass from the grond in front of you during a match? I think I'd go off... some guy at a crap-ass range in NE Delaware tried to tell me that I couldn't keep my 30-30 brass if it hit the ground, it belonged to the state then. </div></div>I hate those rules. You should have asked the guy if you drop your trash on the ground, does it become the state's trash then, or is it only things they want that become theirs when they hit the ground.

What I mean by a "Brass Rat" is anyone that picks up other shooters brass. In Highpower comp. everyone is shooting AR's and unless you snip off about 3 coils of your ejector spring, your brass flys right in front of the next shooter down the line.
When you snip the spring the brass will land in a neat little pile at about your 2 o'clock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Market Garden</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: usmcsniperone</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I heard Rem. discontinued making it. I like it because I can find my brass in the hay while woodchuckin. I started using it for highpower comp. because the "Brass Rats" used to scarf up all the brass and I could pick mine out of their stash!

This is OT, but people really snag your brass from the grond in front of you during a match? I think I'd go off... some guy at a crap-ass range in NE Delaware tried to tell me that I couldn't keep my 30-30 brass if it hit the ground, it belonged to the state then. </div></div>I hate those rules. You should have asked the guy if you drop your trash on the ground, does it become the state's trash then, or is it only things they want that become theirs when they hit the ground. </div></div>

I told him that the state wants to pay me $.50 a case because of my time involved in it they could have it, otherwise, he had to do something more than talk to stop me from picking it up.

I picked up my brass... he chose wisely.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: usmcsniperone</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> What I mean by a "Brass Rat" is anyone that picks up other shooters brass. In Highpower comp. everyone is shooting AR's and unless you snip off about 3 coils of your ejector spring, your brass flys right in front of the next shooter down the line.
When you snip the spring the brass will land in a neat little pile at about your 2 o'clock.

</div></div>

I'm going to have to try that trick, thanks.

There's a turd at my LR club that pulls stuff like that, I'm careful to shoot only 5 rounds, get up, walk around and make the range stay cold while I police the brass for ALL 5 cases. He only did it twice, then realized 15min later that I was damned if I was going to lose one... miraculously he "found" the 2 I couldn't find. Only happened once.

I figured match shooters would have more class than that... I guess I was wrong

[/quote]

I'm going to have to try that trick, thanks.

I figured match shooters would have more class than that... I guess I was wrong[/quote]

Make sure you take it one step at a time. Cut off one coil then test it for reliability and fuction. If it wasn't enough then try two and so on. My rifle has 3 cut off and works great.

As for "class", Most shooters I have met over the years are some of the best people around, but there are a few bad apples be it out of laziness or for economic reasons think that your brass is better and just have to have it.
I shoot service pistol also and have yet to come home with as many brass as I took!

I learned in matches that I use the old stuff that I use the older cases and I leave them to the Brass kleptoparisites. It saves time and stress. The brass kleptos think they got once fired lake city match ammo since I load all my stuff in white boxes. Cut the springs I have been doing for a long time also.

Off topic but I use a red magic marker on the headstamp of my match brass. Pretty obvious when folks are policing brass around my firing point.

AG

Hey that is color I use!! and also blue

wink.gif

You guys are doing it all wrong, the easiest way to tell your brass from thiers is this method,
Photo0022.jpg

BTW this is why I keep my brass stamp/primer up in the tray before putting powder in them, no weirder feeling than pulling the trigger and having smoke pour out of the action.

Nickle is a good start, I police up all my 223 brass cause maybe someday I will be poor and need to reload it, I used to reload for the 223 but hell this point in my life my time is better spent with the Fam, Usually out of a 30 round mag I can find 28+ seems if you shoot a quality rifle it puts them into nice piles, except the last round usually goes a little further off for some reason.

Several people used to use that stuff at Camp Pendelton in the 70s & 80s when I shot there. The plating used to come off on our Garands so I never used that kind of brass. But it was easy to spot your stuff.

I use hot pink nail polish from the dollar rack at CVS to mark the head stamps on my brass. It makes it pretty obvious that it's mine, and I've yet to find someone with a similar color.

Nothing worse than buying brass and having someone claim it as their own after you use it once.

Just a small dab, just enough to put some color on the head stamp does it for me.