• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700 AICS stock questions

Jonlow209

Private
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2009
United States
I am looking forward to buy a reminton 700 with an AICS stock. The problem is, I dont know which remington 700 model I want. I have been looking into the remington 700 p and sps models. What is the difference between those two models besides the stock and barrel length? I know that the sps is way cheaper than the p model but would the p model be in any way better than the sps model if they were put in the AICS stock?

Re: Remington 700 AICS stock questions

Get the P and sell the stock/metal for $200, gets it down near the SPS price Within $100-$150

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get the P and sell the stock/metal for $200, gets it down near the SPS price Within $100-$150 </div></div>

Very sound advice. Shop around and find a deal on a 700P ($850 range). There is always someone looking to upgrade and you'd be killing two birds with one stone. Helping your self and a fellow shooter.

good luck!

Okay that sounds good. Also, what is the big advantage of getting an AICS 2.0 stock over 1.5 in terms of cleaning the gun? I know that in the 2.0, you dont have to remove the cheek rest to remove the bolt becuase the stock folds. Is it that big of an advantage for $200? Is it hard to remove the cheek rest or is it hard to put the cheek rest back to the way you had it before?

I've been doing this for a lot of years. It took me many to learn that it is always cheaper to get exactly what you want the first time. Make the sacrifices that you have to make to be able to buy or order exactly what you want. You may not be able to play as soon as you want to, but when you do get to play it will be with exactly what you want. I wish I would have done this when I first started. Keep in mind that opinion's are like assholes, everybody has one & everybody's is different.
Semper Fi

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jonlow209</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Okay that sounds good. Also, what is the big advantage of getting an AICS 2.0 stock over 1.5 in terms of cleaning the gun? I know that in the 2.0, you dont have to remove the cheek rest to remove the bolt becuase the stock folds. Is it that big of an advantage for $200? Is it hard to remove the cheek rest or is it hard to put the cheek rest back to the way you had it before? </div></div>

The 2.0 is worth it for me. It makes the gun alot easier to transport and clean. With the stock folded my 20" M700 is the same length as my 16" ar with the stock collapsed.

-dan

I just got a Stage 1.5 AICS for my Remmy 700 5R, and I love it. I don't have to remove my cheekpiece to remove the bolt, but removing the cheekpiece is required to facilitate cleaning. (It's not a big deal to remove it though. Takes about 10 seconds). The Stage 2.0 eliminates even that part of it. Can't go wrong with either model. Damn fine stock/chassis, IMO.

I did exactly what 95LTZ described above, and I'm glad I did. I got everything exactly as I wanted right from the beginning. Cost a bit all at once, but it was worth it.

ProfileSilk.jpg

SemiProfileSilk.jpg

gday,
this might sound like a stupid question,
but im struggling to find a good ammo carrier for my ai ae stock,
have seen a few nice ones in pictures on here ,
can anyone send me some websites or any ideas ,
thanks !

Look for Bauer Arms on this site. I think he's got the one you are referring to.

If you're going to go with the AICS, there is no need to spend the extra $$ on the 700P. Apply the extra money towards ammo for practice.

I had a Rem 700PSS .308. I was able to acquire a used but well cared for AICS for it. I modified a Versa-Pod to mount and function in the manner the Parker Hale / AICS bipod does...I call it my "Poor Man's Parker Hale." I found a used but pristine button model monopod. I am totally pleased with the setup, and I can probably sell my like new PSS stock to save even more on the AICS package. I had owned the PSS for a few years and had always wanted the AICS. Bolt and trigger work by David White. Here are before and after pictures.

RemPSSdoneLR-1.jpg

My308_2.jpg

Around $800 for a 1.5 and about $1000 for a 2.0. I got mine from Stacy at BlanksGuns, he had the best price I could find when I was looking.

are skins replaceable? I am picking one up here real soon, in FDE, and am not sure if I am oging to like the color...is it possible to get OD skins, other than from someone selling privately, and slap them on for somthing a little differant?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eltee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
My308_2.jpg
</div></div>

So who makes that AICS stock magazine pouch? Who is the retailer for those?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sumpter Steve</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> +1000000 for BLANKSGUNS(Stacey is great to work with).
</div></div>

+1000000 to that! Thanks again, Stacey!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nuttshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The skins can be changed very easily. I think you can only get Black,Green,FDE.</div></div>

Thanks bro. I am picking up a FDE next week, and will probably start looking or a set of OD skins, incase I dont like the FDE.

Nick, the FDE looks like baby poop, but getting it in that color will minimize your cleaning chores before you get permission to join us at the range.
laugh.gif

Brown is the new OD; it's just fashion. But I ordered one because, if I decide to do my own camoflage, it's easier to make a lighter stock darker than the other way around.

or, you could do this:
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1020852&gonew=1#UNREAD

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nick, the FDE looks like baby poop, but getting it in that color will minimize your cleaning chores before you get permission to join us at the range.
laugh.gif

Brown is the new OD; it's just fashion. But I ordered one because, if I decide to do my own camoflage, it's easier to make a lighter stock darker than the other way around.

or, you could do this:
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1020852&gonew=1#UNREAD </div></div>

Yeah Graham, that would look better on my arm than my rifle, just like I wouldnt get a camoflauge sleeve tat, wait....that sound cool....wonder what tat artist would do GAP camo...LOL!

Nah, after shooting your 300MAG I got an itch, then talked to Rich on the phone for a while, and convinced myseld to go for the gusto, I am waiting for the mail to come today!!, then running over to Peirces' to put in the order for the SA of my dreams. Talked to Randy at Mile High Shooting, about the FDE AICS 1.5, and I will be rockin out with my AICS out in a month or two. Have not been this excited since I got my drivers liscense.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

So who makes that AICS stock magazine pouch? Who is the retailer for those?

</div></div>

www.tacready.com

I'm looking at buying the AICS for my 700p and am wondering about the 2.0. Do those that own them notice much if any play in the stock at the hing? I've never heard anyone complain but its a significant puchase for me and am curious. Any insight into this would be appreciated.

john

Is the AICS 1.0 still available? How much cost savings is there compared to 1.5? I just thought to throw that in as an option if it'll save some money further.

I recently got a Remington 700 with ACIS 1.0, I didn't buy the stock separately, so I didn't have to make the choice between 1.0, 1.5 or 2.0. The stock feels really good to me in terms of cheek rest. I think the adjustable cheek rest is the only different between 1.0 and 1.5. So if you have a normal rail base and low height rings for a normal scope, the built in cheek rest should work just fine. You may want to get adjustable cheek rest if you want to use a scope with extra large objective, or to raise the scope for use with a suppressor.

2546.jpg

Gawd I wish I could get teh 2.0 here in Aus. Bloody 'concelment' laws.

1.5 or 2.0 is the only way to run with these! I have the 1.5 and cleaning is no real problem, 2.0 would be nice to have on my next build.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BFDshooter5</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do those that own them notice much if any play in the stock at the hing? </div></div>

Zero.

It is hands down the best folding mechanism in the industry and the one to which all others should be judged.

It is smooth, easy to lock and unlock and it is positive, no play what so ever.

IMHO, after owning both folders and non-folders, it is well worth it to get the 2.0, for the quality and engineering of the hindge, it is a bargan.

The extra cost will pay for itself quickly (if not for transprot, then for cleaning).

I am currently running a Mcree and love it, but damn, I don't like the hindge. But I was spoiled with the AI system. The Mcree folder is good, but it is no AI.

Thanks gugubica, thats exactly the feedback I was looking for. The boss AKA my wife gave me the green light to take the plunge and buy one when my retro check comes in. I've never actually put my hands on one but based on what I've read on here for the past few years they seem to be the gold standard in fit and function. The hinge was the only thing I've never heard comment on.

I was on the fence about the AICS stock. I still am partial, but for some reason, all good, I ended up with another one. The second time, I did purchase the 2.0/folder for ease of removing the bolt for cleaning. I am pleased with everything about the stock. At first, It did feel strange to me, but man, I can sure shoot with it very well.

As far as the hinge is concerned, it is snug. I've opened and closed it for months before having it built up. Still no movement and I still open and close it quite a bit just for the heck of it. It is a totally solid stock.

If you are ever in the Livermore area, PM me and you can check it out yourself. I just have some personal issues right now, but all should be good in a few months.

Mine had "play" in it! Ended up cutting a piece of inner tube and glued it on the inside of the hinge.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mine had "play" in it! Ended up cutting a piece of inner tube and glued it on the inside of the hinge. </div></div>

How is the 2.0 hinge locked? It appears similar to HK's UMP/G36 type of side folding locking mechanism, but just on the inside.

The other factor is what type of material is the locking mechanism made of? If it's aluminum it'll probably wear over time, but if it's steel, it should be good to go as long as it didn't initially have some play.

Also I heard 2.0's folding hinge adds 1/2 lb of weight to the stock. Is this true?

Thanks Armada, I'll take you up on that if I get outt to the West Coast. Hope everything gets squared away for you. Things have been a little pear shaped for me lately too, but are finally settling down now. Take care bro