• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700 barrel code question

niwot

Private
Minuteman
Jun 15, 2006
Colorado
So I have this Remington 700 in 30-06 that I brought to the smith to be re-barreled. When he saw the rifle he said, woooah, this is an old one - a "flat top"

I have looked up the date code. It's a G series, which could be 1938, 1960 or 1984 IIRC. His guess was 1960, I'm not sure.

Can anybody point me to a place were I can learn more about older Remington actions? Seems like I have an m40A1-ish[Edit: Long action "franken" build] build ahead of me if this is a 1960 receiver.

Re: Remington 700 barrel code question

what is the serial? a 6 digit is a good action regardless if it is perfect fit for an M40A1. The model 700 was introduced in 1962, however, I believe toward the end of the 722 and 721 they did make some of them with barrels that had the same contour as a 700, these are fairly rare. The barrel you have was likely made in 1960, and then put on a 700 when they were introduced in 1962. I am not 100% sure but there might be some 5-digit actions rolling around too? At any rate, I would check the M40A1 build thread to see if your serial range falls into the specs.

Dave

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DebosDave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LOL, great point, I didn't even catch that...

</div></div>

Ha!, neither did I.

I guess I just have an old rifle that needs a funky scope mount then.

I looked at the serial # now that I'm home.
B6815xxx

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DebosDave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what is the serial? a 6 digit is a good action regardless if it is perfect fit for an M40A1. The model 700 was introduced in 1962, however, I believe toward the end of the 722 and 721 they did make some of them with barrels that had the same contour as a 700, these are fairly rare. The barrel you have was likely made in 1960, and then put on a 700 when they were introduced in 1962. I am not 100% sure but there might be some 5-digit actions rolling around too? At any rate, I would check the M40A1 build thread to see if your serial range falls into the specs.

Dave</div></div>

That is likely much later, maybe the 1984 that someone put an old trigger on...

If you call Remington they will tell you the year that serial number was made.

Dave

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SDWhirlwind</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Early 80's is about right for the B prefix! If your smith is "in awww" over " a flat top" Remington 700 I think I would check how much experience he 'really has' before he touched anything of mine.</div></div>

Yes, I hear that. I already took the rifle back from him and he gave me back my deposit.

Kreiger is sending the barrel directly to me, so I can pick another smith.