• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Remington 700 Issue

Billl223

Private
Minuteman
Nov 5, 2002
Worcester PA
I have an older LTR with Gen 1 H-S Precision bottom metal and stock trigger with the exception of a lighter return spring. I recently entered my first PRS match in Practical Class and was practicing yesterday and had two failures to fire. Trigger wouldn't move and it felt exactly like the safety was on but it wasn't. I was not able to duplicate the issue dry firing at my bench this morning. Any ideas?

Spend some $$$$ and get one of the many excellent aftermarket triggers.

Throwing money at a problem is my Modus operandi

Reactions: DRAGON64
Crud stuck in the trigger, dislodged as it was moved.

Take the action out and flush the trigger assembly with Zippo fluid.

A new trigger is always the nicer option if you can swing it.

Reactions: cozmacozmy
I have an older LTR with Gen 1 H-S Precision bottom metal and stock trigger with the exception of a lighter return spring. I recently entered my first PRS match in Practical Class and was practicing yesterday and had two failures to fire. Trigger wouldn't move and it felt exactly like the safety was on but it wasn't. I was not able to duplicate the issue dry firing at my bench this morning. Any ideas?
Same as the other guys said, stuff stuck in your trigger. I'd just go with a new trigger, Timney or the like. It's a very noticeable difference.

When you raised the bolt handle, was it heavy like the rifle had been fired? Insufficient spring tension could have kept the trigger from engaging and let it ride down when the bolt was cycled after the previous shot.

I did notice heavy bolt lift but did not correlate that with the problem. Perhaps it was related. I did lighten the trigger return spring and "tuned" (10 years ago) the various screws to result in a 2# trigger. I would like a new trigger but PRS Practical requires the OEM trigger.

O.K., I pulled off the stock and used Gun Scrubber on the trigger. Trigger feel seemed a little better. Went to the range today and shot 50 rounds, I had 1 occurrence where the trigger would not move, again feeling like the safety was on. I raised and lowered the bolt without racking and the gun fired. Is this still a trigger issue?

O.K., I pulled off the stock and used Gun Scrubber on the trigger. Trigger feel seemed a little better. Went to the range today and shot 50 rounds, I had 1 occurrence where the trigger would not move, again feeling like the safety was on. I raised and lowered the bolt without racking and the gun fired. Is this still a trigger issue?
Yes, increase tension on the trigger return spring.

Reactions: cornhusker86
+1 on what Red SC said. Sounds like its occasionally dropping the sear when you close the bolt.