• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700 Long Range

DrDeath

Colonel
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2009
I have been seeing a model coming up a lot at different on line sellers- a Remington 700 Long Range rifle ion 30/06. Are these new old stock? New mfg guns? Anyone have one with some feedback??

In a shocking bit of unusual investigative know how, I went to the Rem Arms website and they make no mention of the Long Range.
That is new, old stock.

It is made by RemArms .

I have been seeing a model coming up a lot at different on line sellers- a Remington 700 Long Range rifle ion 30/06. Are these new old stock? New mfg guns? Anyone have one with some feedback??
I cannot know for sure what you are seeing online, but I have had a Remington Long Range in 30-06 for at least 4 years now. It has shot really well with some std. power Creedmoor factory loads, but it hasn’t honestly been challenged at all with good handloads yet.
It is made by RemArms .
How can you unequivocally state that without knowing any other information? Just trolling?

As I said above, I own a Remington Long Range and it is most certainly NOT RemArms.

Reactions: TurdFerguson
Further info on mine. It has a nice B&C stock that is quite solid and fits well for a low cost rifle. I’ve shot the Creedmoor 167g loads out 1000 yards, though that is not what those are loaded for. In all, it is well made and does better than its low price at the time would make you think.

I actually have plans to load some 185 or 210g projectiles and test it out at longer ranges. It is a fun rifle to shoot.

I cannot know for sure what you are seeing online, but I have had a Remington Long Range in 30-06 for at least 4 years now. It has shot really well with some std. power Creedmoor factory loads, but it hasn’t honestly been challenged at all with good handloads yet.

How can you unequivocally state that without knowing any other information? Just trolling?

As I said above, I own a Remington Long Range and it is most certainly NOT RemArms.
Thin skin, eh ? Take a look here . I was stating RemArms makes them , take a breath .

From Cabelas website

Description​

Product Brand Logo

The Remington® Model 700® Long Range Bolt-Action Rifle is enhanced to hit targets at ranges extending to the horizon. At the heart of this specialized long-range rifle is the famous Model 700 action that has been proven for reliability and precision accuracy in combat with the U.S. Army's M24 sniper rifle. The Model 700 Long Range rifle comes with a Bell and Carlson M40 tactical stock, made of solid urethane combined with aramid, graphite, and fiberglass. The barreled receiver is bedded with an aluminum block, and the heavy-contoured barrel is free-floated, providing excellent accuracy and minimal shift in zero caused by changes in the environment. The non-reflective stock and exterior metal blend in with a wide range of environments. An externally adjustable X-Mark Pro® trigger allows shooters to find the desired weight-of-pull according to their preference. The 2-position safety at the rear of the action is quick to operate with the thumb, and can also be gripped with the forefinger and thumb and moved extra quietly to the fire position. The Remington Model 700 Long Range Bolt-Action Rifle has a hinged floorplate for safe and easy unloading of the magazine, and comes drilled and tapped for scope mounts. An extra sling swivel stud on the fore-end provides an attachment point for a bipod.
  • Enhanced for precision accuracy
  • Bell and Carlson M40 tactical stock
  • Free-floated heavy-contoured barrel
  • Aluminum bedding block
  • Adjustable X-Mark Pro trigger
  • Drilled and tapped receiver
  • 2-position safety

go-look-it.jpg

Very interesting. I had one of the Remington Long Range models that was sold through Cabelas, as stated in post #8. However, post #7 implies a new model, most notably with a HS stock instead of the Bell and Carlson M40. If it is a new model with the new barrel steel, I'll buy one in a heartbeat. My biggest problem with the old model was how bad that barrel fouled and the accuracy went. I had it sent out to get rebored to 9.3x62 just to be the weird kid at the range.

For that price I'd buy something else, probably a Tikka that has a much better trigger. And if I want to change the barrel I can just order a shouldered prefit and screw it on. Something you can't do with that Remington 700. Hell I'd buy another Savage LRP before I'd buy a remington. https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting...ng-range-precision-bolt-action-rifle/p/p42248. It was my first rifle for shooting long range. It's still one of my most accurate rifles.

If it was a 700 from 30yrs ago, maybe.

At $1k and it being a modern-ish Remington?
Pass. Tikka, Bergara and Howa offer way more for the $.

Ok. So I do I have a donor tikka 308. Can I use that for a 30/06? New 06 heavy barrel, what needs to be done to the existing bolt? And what about the mags? I would drop this 06 build in a MDT chasis

I figured that it wouldn’t take long before the naysayers came out and played.

Maybe you don’t know what you don’t know. 😉

If only someone would make barrel nut pre chambered barrels for remington
Hahaha! I was thinking the same thing. I just put a new barrel on a Remington action this week. Didn’t seem that hard to me, but then what do I know?

Ok. So I do I have a donor tikka 308. Can I use that for a 30/06? New 06 heavy barrel, what needs to be done to the existing bolt? And what about the mags? I would drop this 06 build in a MDT chasis
New bolt stop or modify the one you have

and the LA mags for .06

Reactions: lash
If only someone would make barrel nut pre chambered barrels for remington

I prefer my barrels shouldered, I've got a nut on my Savage, changeable bolt head too. It works well, but a shoulder is easier and better looking IMO. You can't order a prefit on a remington 700, the tolerances aren't good enough.

You could order a prefit barrel for the 30-06 and a barrel nut to change out the .308 barrel but you can't change the short action to long action.

Last edited:
I prefer my barrels shouldered, I've got a nut on my Savage, changeable bolt head too. It works well, but a shoulder is easier and better looking IMO. You can't order a prefit on a remington 700, the tolerances aren't good enough.

You could order a prefit barrel for the 30-06 and a barrel nut to change out the .308 barrel but you can't change the short action to long action.
According to RemArms, the new rifle tolerances are tight so the you can switch barrels.

• Haha
Reactions: LRI, FuhQ and lash
I can tell you that the Long Range 700s that I saw and have are a better grade than the Walmart and Cabelas 700 specials.

Also, a basic Timney trigger upgrade does wonders.

Reactions: Maggot and FuhQ
Do these Remington 700 long range rifles come with H&S or B&C stocks? I’ve seen both listed in ads on this thread.

I'll believe it when I see shouldered barrels being made for them.
That’s a fair statement, though I suspect that those buying these may not be shooting them as much as the normal match gun.

I bought one in .30-06 and like it very much for what it is, a fun and decent rifle for the money. For a new or casual shooter. Mine only gets out rarely, though it shoots very well and is fun. It’s one of the few I haven’t modified heavily. Just a fluted bolt done on some LRI $75 special.

It is well made and at least a cut or two above the normal rack Volume rifles.

So is there a new Remington factory producing these now?

Nah, I don’t care. You do you. 👍🏻
I didn't mean you specifically. I meant when A) they exist and are being used and 2- when people start offering prefits for them.
I am not a remington basher. I just will wait tell its proven they don't suck.
I am a savage basher. I mean, it's savage...

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: lash
I purchased a Remington 700 AAC-SD in 308 back in April I believe, it has the new serial number starting with RA . It is definatly a shooter with 168 grain hornady amax . I also ordered a bell and Carlson m40-A1 stock and a timney elite hunter trigger at the same time . I never fired a shot with the factory stock or trigger . I also thought I saw a short action 223 with a 1/8 twist .

Reactions: Hkmiller
I guess if it says long range it must be a long range rifle 😂😂😂😂
I will rise you "My 1997 model 700 in 7mm"
Still a tack driver after all these years..
Heart shot my Bull this year with it at 508yds
To be fair, it is set up like a basic long range rifle would be and does a decent job at it.

My .30-06 hammers at 1000 and in with just factory ammo. I will be loading for it eventually. Is it Too be compared with a custom rifle? No, but it’s well worth the under $700 I paid for it and more.

I have a remington 700 bdl in 8mm remington magnum. How much work would it take to convert to 338 lapua besides a barrel and bolt?