• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700 Police 338 Lapua rifles

Re: Remington 700 Police 338 Lapua rifles

Hi,
last week my Rem 700P .338 MLR arrived but after 5 shots it was impossible to open the bolt. My gunsmith opened it and several bad things appeared. first the bottom of the cartridge case was deformed like having to much chamber pressure and second the extractor cracked. After replacing the extractor and using different ammunition the same problem came again. I sent my ammunition to a certified test center and everything was fine with it.
Does anyone here knows the reason for these failures? I heared about bad barrels could that the cause?
It would be great if someone here can help me?

Were going to need to know a bit more detail.

Did any of the previous 4 shots show signs of pressure?

What brass?

Where did you send ammo for testing and what method did they use?

Exactly which ammo are you using?

Handloads?

What is your receipe?

How hot out was it or was your ammo stored prior to shooting where the sun could get on it?

Had your ammo ever been tumbled after it was assembled?

Any chronograph data?

Any pictures?

I'm thinking your gunsmith should have had some clue.

If this was factory ammo the ammo manufacturer and Remington are going to want to know about it.

What ammo are you using? When you chambered the round, did the bolt close easily or did it require force to close the bolt? If you chamber a round and then extract it with out firing it, are there marks on the bullet from the bullet being jammed into the rifling? Can you take pictures of the fired brass? I take it from your email that you're in Germany. Are there any authorized Remington service centers in your area? Have you cleaned the bore yet? If so, are there any areas in the bore where patches become tight and difficult to push through? What was your gunsmiths opinion on the cause of the problem? Did he put a borescope down the barrel or slug the barrel to see if it's undersized? Did he check the headspace? My MLR was bought over two years ago and was one of the first released in my area. Mine developed a deep erosion pitt just ahead of the throat but it has never caused any pressure issues. Until you get the problem solved, I would not fire that rifle again.

Thanks for your posts. Yes I'm from Germany.
Brass is from Lapua
Bullets: Lapua 250 grs
Powder: vihtavuori N560
Primers: CCI

I started with a moderate load of 78grs. and OAL of 92mm. Strange was that the cases of the first rounds showed marks around the impact area of the primer which is a sign of a overload. the factory ammo was prvi partizan which ist cheap but absolutely ok to test the weapon. The handloaded ammo was not tumbled because it was the time the cases were shot. Before I shot the ammo I made a dummy round and the bolt closed easily and after opening the bolt the round came out well. also the cases were checked externally and internally.
I don't know what kind of method the test center used but the both types ammo isn't overloaded and pressure was okay and not too high. Unfortunately the only possibility I have is to ship the rifle to the importer but what can the importer do for me? my gunsmith had no idea the only thing was overpressure. I think the only what he can do is measure the chamber/bore and if something isn't correct take the rifle back. it's very strange is it the rifle or the ammo but with factory ammo everything should work.
I will take some pics of the cases and post them to take a closer look.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 120mmAction</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I started with a moderate load of 78grs.</div></div>

Throw several charges with your scale and double check them with two other scales.

Looking at Lapua's website, your handloads should be safe. However, every rifle is a law unto itself as to when a handload crosses the line and becomes unsafe. Just to clarify, did you experiance the overpressure problem with the Priv Partizan factory ammo or just the handloads? Have your gunsmith check headspace and the bore. Excessive pressure problems with these rifles isn't something that I've seen reported before. Heavy carbon fouling at the throat can raise pressures, but the few rounds you've shot shouldn't cause that problem yet.

I use a Lyman digital powder system an after the first shooting every remaining round was took apart and the amount of powder was checked with a dillon scale and it was correct by 0.1grs.
fouling was not seen and also the chamber was clean and good machined. yes with the Prvi Partizan ammo the same overpressure-like problems happened. A interesting fact is that the first cases are in good shape but the last ones are about 0.4mm longer an the primer came out. The Vihtavuori N560 powder burned quite cold but usually it's a slower powder which should burn hotter in my opinion. One thing I thought was that maybe the chamber is too long so that the cartridge can move forwards losing the contact to the bolt.

Headspacing definately needs to be checked. If the cartridge cases were growing as you shot, you could have an issue with bolt lug set back and increasing headspace. If your gunsmith can't check the headspace, find one that can. Hired Gun had a good question about the heat. Was it very hot and sunny when you were shooting? Some powders are more temperature sensitive than others and high air temperatures combined with ammo being exposed to hot sunlight at the range can cause a safe load to develop excessive pressure. Not sure what you mean by the N560 powder burning quite cold. Was it not giving you the velocity that you were expecting?

Yes that's true headspace must be checked. Due to this the rifle is already at the importer but I haven't heard anything from him by now. Temperatures were about 64°F and not very high. I know double-base powders are sensitive so I purchased fresh powder made only a few month ago. With the cold burning of N560 I meant that powders with a low burning rate like N560 usually heat up the rifle a lot more than powders with a high burning rate. But with my N560 the cases came out pretty cold like shooting a fast burning powder. Until friday the importer should checked the rifle and its headspace. it's to be hoped we know the failure after that.

I got mine and dropped it in an AICS stock and swapped out the stock trigger for a Timney - much better
wink.gif
The action cycles just fine with the AI 338 Lapua mag and is just a better stock. I'm REALLY impressed with the muzzle brake - it's easy to shoot! I have a 338 RUM in a Remington stock and while it's definitely a lighter rifle, the recoil, even with the added Vais Brake, is fairly punishing to the shooter - not so with this .338 Lapua Mag.

Here's a pic of it and the best group so far,... I still have a lot of load developing to do, but it seems to be on the right track.

000_0002.JPG

Here's the group with 91.7gr of RETUMBO seated 2.85" measured off the ogive,... Not bad, but not great.
338_Lapua_5-Shot_1.jpg

Well at 64°F, temperature wasn't a problem. I've never really paid attention to cartridge case temperature vs the burning rate of the powder. Most of my shooting lately has been with an AR-15, and those cases come out very hot. The .223/5.56 round takes a medium rate powder such as IMR4064, WW748, Varget and such. I use Reloader25 in the 338 Lapua which has an even slower burn rate than the N560. I'll have to check the temperature of the cases next time I shoot the MLR. When the importer gets back to you with his findings, post back with the results.

Hey I was hoping you guys could tell me what yours looked like on the inside, the chamber and bore and bolt face when you got them.
I looked at two today, pulled the bolts and shined a light into both, one has a beautiful looking chamber and through, very clean and perfect looking, but on the bolt face you can see were they fired it that its not really round around the pin hole, it looks like a egg shell.the mag seemed to fit quite sloppy in this one That one is a little more experience.
its 1600. I didn't work these guys to through anything in on this one yet.

The second one I looked at was perfect around the bolt face, just how you would expect it to look, but when I shined a light into the chamber area it was really tight looking in there, almost a little gray looking, but tight, almost like it hadn't had a round through it yet. The mag fit I fair bit better in this one. this one was 1400 with a 6-9 harris swived notch bipod.

Is there anything in there that sounded like anything to worry about to you, or normal off the rack stuff?

Were these new or used guns? I'd stay away from a bolt face with a screwed up firing pin hole. It can be bushed, but it shouldn't be that way in the first place. All guns are proof tested before they leave the factory and usually never cleaned. Not sure what you mean about tight. I never used the factory stock or magazine, put it right into a 1.5 AICS.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Badshot308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Were these new or used guns? I'd stay away from a bolt face with a screwed up firing pin hole. It can be bushed, but it shouldn't be that way in the first place. All guns are proof tested before they leave the factory and usually never cleaned. Not sure what you mean about tight. I never used the factory stock or magazine, put it right into a 1.5 AICS. </div></div>There brand new

Look at the mag. It is a short-action, thus not an MLR.

my mistake...do u know if MLR is used by Army?

Last week my Rem 700 338LM MLR rifle went back to the dealer and due to manufacturing failures of the barrel I get a new one. After shooting the new rifle I detected metallic particles on the cleaning patches. Does anyone know if it's common to have that with the MLR?

Are the particles barrel steel or copper jacket?

The particles are blank steel. I heard something like that before in this thread. somebody had also metallic abrasion on his cleaning patches. does anyone know about the reason of that?

Can you post a good, clear picture of a patch with the particles? What type of brushes and cleaning rods are you using?

I just used a standard patch with oil and without any copper solvent. I will try to take a good pic of it.

Are you using brushes of any sort? If you're using bronze brushes, you may see an occasional speck of metal that's just the brush wearing down. You shouldn't be seeing particles of barrel steel wearing off. How does the bore look and how does the new rifle shoot?

These rifles are available again now but I didn't order any. Why...... Because now Remington is gouging on the prices. Dealer cost on them went up almost $500. They are no longer a bargain so maybe they should just keep them.

same situation in Italy...January/march 2010 cost 1600 euro, now (after 6 months) coast 2000 euro...i own it ,fortunately, 6 months ago!
smile.gif

But i like it, and shoot very well!

I can't imagine a 338 Lapua. I would love one, but I would never fully use it not be able to shoot it. I could buy one, or a GAP rifle... hmmm...

I spoke with the factory in Albq. N.M. three weeks ago at the NRA LEO three gun match, the new Rem 700 in 338 Lapua which he had on display has a much better muzzel brake with three or four ports on the side and I thing one or two ports on the top of the brake only. He also said that the mags are from AI. The brake almost looks like the brake I had installed by Charlie at score high in Albq.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ljm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I spoke with the factory in Albq. N.M. three weeks ago at the NRA LEO three gun match, the new Rem 700 in 338 Lapua which he had on display has a much better muzzel brake with three or four ports on the side and I thing one or two ports on the top of the brake only. He also said that the mags are from AI. The brake almost looks like the brake I had installed by Charlie at score high in Albq. </div></div>
I believe what you saw was not the 700P in 338 but instead the 40-XS in 338LM did it have the MARS installed on it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Helder22</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just measured my COAL with 250 Scenars before I hit the rifling and all I can get is 3.641
I had even loaded all my ammo to 3.681 IIRC as stated on the Lapua website for the Scenars but the bolt was hard to close and when I pulled the cartridge out (unshot) I had rifling marks on the bullet. Lucky I didn't shoot it that way I think, pressure might have been a tad high.
Anyone else have this problem? (if it is a problem) </div></div>

I am having this problem also whats up with that, anyone???

Mine just arrived at my FFL today. I waited about 3 months but the damage was only 1100.00(no LEO discount)!!!
Stand by for update....

Wow 1 in 12 twist - definately need to use the 250gr Lapua Secenar projectiles with this wist. As for a 1 in 10 the 300gr lapua Scenar would work mint.

I wonder what the barrel life will be with this weapon - Will it be plagued with the curse of the magnum caliber - 1200 to 1400 rds and time for a new barrel?

What is the cost of a rebarrel from Remington?

They are 1 in 10 twist, not 1 in 12. I would not have Remington rebarrel the rifle either. When it comes time to rebarrel mine, I'll send it to GAP for trueing and rebarreling with a longer, stainless match grade barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SRT1112</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I wonder what the barrel life will be with this weapon - Will it be plagued with the curse of the magnum caliber - 1200 to 1400 rds and time for a new barrel?

What is the cost of a rebarrel from Remington? </div></div>
Checked my barrel throat with a video borescope and it's in like new conditions after nearly 400 shots.....

Ok.... I just watched the CNBC show Regarding the Remington "walker Trigger". This is my first Remington product so Im not at all familiar with the various product trademarks and terminology.

Im pretty sure I have a 40X trigger (not the "X mark pro" that fixes the potential problem).

IMG_0682.jpg

IMG_0683.jpg

Without getting into a big debate about whether there is a problem with the Remington triggers can anybody answer the following questions for me?

1. Do I have the type of trigger they are talking about?

2. If so, and I was inclined to fix the potential problem myself without wasting a lot of time wondering if there really is a problem or whether Remington should fix it, what would I want to replace and with what?

Thanks-

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RomanDad</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok.... I just watched the CNBC show Regarding the Remington "walker Trigger". This is my first Remington product so Im not at all familiar with the various product trademarks and terminology.

Im pretty sure I have a 40X trigger (not the "X mark pro" that fixes the potential problem).

IMG_0682.jpg

IMG_0683.jpg

Without getting into a big debate about whether there is a problem with the Remington triggers can anybody answer the following questions for me?

2. If so, and I was inclined to fix the potential problem myself without wasting a lot of time wondering if there really is a problem or whether Remington should fix it, what would I want to replace and with what?

Thanks-
</div></div>

No, you are fine. The trigger "they" are talking about is completely different than your 40X. With that said, don't point a chambered rifle at ANYTHING you don't want dead.

New to this forum and would first like to thank everyone for the good info. I am the proud owner of a new 700 PSS in .338 and am still in the lengthy and costly process of getting optics, reloading dies and components,etc together. Has anyone felt the need to have their action blueprinted, lugs "trued" because of the high pressure of this cartridge? I am not a hotrodder and don't expect to exceed published data, but prefer to remain safe. Also in regards to the above posts about the 40X trigger, I also have a LTR in .308 that I experienced 2 safe to fire discharges before I sent the trigger group back to the Remington Custom Shop.needless to say, they were quick to send me a new group and wanted the old one back for examination. I was not terribly concerned both times because I will NEVER unsafe a loaded weaponm unless pointed in a safe direction.

Heres mine.
REM 700P MLR .338LM, HS Precision stock, REM DBM, 26" Barrel, Warne +20MOA Base, Warne rings, Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14x50 MilDot
P1030055.jpg

P1030057.jpg

P1030058.jpg

I have a Mcree precision stock and AI mags inbound. Will post when mounted.
(I am patiently awaiting the ammunition for this rifle to arrive at my humble abode)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 71firebird400</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RomanDad</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok.... I just watched the CNBC show Regarding the Remington "walker Trigger". This is my first Remington product so Im not at all familiar with the various product trademarks and terminology.

IMG_0682.jpg

IMG_0683.jpg

Thanks-
</div></div>

No, you are fine. The trigger "they" are talking about is completely different than your 40X. With that said, don't point a chambered rifle at ANYTHING you don't want dead. </div></div>

I have used sniper's hide for a while now, reading people discuss different things, but I feel that I am obligated to make an account to specifically tell you that your trigger is a "Walker" trigger. It is NOT the new X-MARK.

Reasons:

1. Walker triggers are black and grooved (like yours).
2. X-MARK triggers are silver and smooth (NOT like yours).
3. X-MARK triggers have a set screw on the trigger that is used to adjust the trigger. You don't have a set screw on your trigger. You should google X-MARK trigger assembly and you will see what I am talking about.

Now, I'm not telling you this because I want to prove anybody wrong. I'm also not telling you this because I think the Walker trigger is unsafe but the reason that the Walker trigger can go off so easily is because Remington made the Walker trigger too easy to modify. Stupid people, who have no business modifying their triggers, who don't want to do it properly by giving it to a gun smith, do not adjust it correctly and cause the trigger to malfunction.

In the end, the walker trigger is a very good trigger right out of the box! Very accurate! DO NOT adjust it yourself. If you are even thinking about adjusting it, you should just go out and buy a high end trigger. If your just using it for hunting, there is no reason for a new trigger.

The military has used these rifles for decades and no problems! That's because they properly modified these rifles!

BY THE WAY... ALWAYS POINT A GUN IN A SAFE DIRECTION!!!

Ryan

Has anybody found out if AICS mags work ? is the new CIP AI mag the way to go ?

Just got myself one of these about two weeks ago for $1069.00.
grin.gif
I think that I got a good deal, but haven't shot it yet, need to save for a scope and rings. Anyone have any info on the mag situation yet?

Here is MY understanding after talking to Remington last week on the phone.

The bottom metal is a "COPY" of the Badger metal but made in house by Remington in conjunction with HS Precision. The MAGS are made by HS Precision and available through them or Remington directly.

I was also told that a AICS mag will NOT fit this setup.

HS has the mags in stock and priced VERY well.

Hope this helps.

Matt (LEO SOUTH GA.)

Also... If anyone has done some load developement and is getting GREAT accuracy out of the FACTORY barrel... POST IT UP....

There are a BUNCH of us interested in good reloading recipes.

Thanks
Matt (LEO SOUTH GA.)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Craven Morehead</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just got myself one of these about two weeks ago for $1069.00.
grin.gif
I think that I got a good deal, but haven't shot it yet, need to save for a scope and rings. Anyone have any info on the mag situation yet? </div></div>

Thats a great price! Where did you find it for that and do they have anymore in stock?

Got it at a Gun Show NIB from Keith's Sporting Goods - (503) 492-6999. Don't know if there are any more in stock though. He is the largest gun shop in the area but they only had one at the show and the guy who was helping me did not know if there were any more, but he did infer that they could get more (not sure on that one myself since the supply has seemed to dry up). I sure would not mind getting a 3 or 4 more. I figure I could put them on gunbroker for 1400 and pay for my optics but I don't have 3 grand to risk right now.
eek.gif