• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700 Police 338 Lapua rifles

Re: Remington 700 Police 338 Lapua rifles

Im sorry if this has come up or maybe it hasnt come up.

The remington 338 lapua rifles, if you take off the stock and put the AICS stock in its place...does the 338 rifle accept AICS mags or AW mags?

i remember talking to someone and they mentioned the action was modified so the AW mags would need to be used. Any info is appreciated

Went and shot mine for the first time yesterday. Recoil was moderate with the PWS brake. Felt like a 12 gauge. I could not get any of my loads to group until I got close to max load. (94Gr Retumbo and 300 SMK). A little bit of an ejector mark on that load but not too bad.

What loads are you guys getting good groups out of?

I also got some 225 Hornady's because they were half the price. Any suggestions with those?

The long action AICS and the AIAW in 338 Lapua Magnum both use the same 5 shot magazine, part number 2468. That magazine is not CIP length. The new AX338 is a different animal that takes a new 10 round CIP length mag. If you drop your MLR into a AICS, the supplied mags work fine, but your overall cartridge length is limited to 3.64". This has apparently caused problems for people purchasing longer CIP length ammo. There is going to be a new chassis system put on the market based on the new rifles using the CIP length mags.

Ordered me one of these babies today.
8-10 months of waiting has begun....

Please post more pics of your remmy 338:s
smile.gif

Did anybody elses stock fit like crap. I think it was built 3-10 at least that's what the box and is written on the barrel channel of the stock. The barrel was touching the left side and the bottom of the action had a mark from the bedding block. Skim bedding took care of the problem. But did not expect a factory HS stock to fit so poorly.

Hi there

Since a few days I'm a "proud" owner of a Remington 700 MLR .338LM with the 5 round magazine and the damned muzzle break. I read a few older posts wich say's that the muzzlebreak is fixed with some kind of loctite or soldered. I heated the muzzle first with a heatgun but it doesen't get off. After that I tried it with a soldering blowpipe but it still holds like crap. Anyone got an idea what to do? Go to a gunsmith and mill it off?

Thanks for your answers...

Come on the soldering blowpipe brings 750 Degrees or more. You don't think it's not that good for the barrel?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: danny.k</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...

Please post more pics of your remmy 338:s
smile.gif
</div></div>

Here's a pic of mine, So far I've put 200rnds of Hornady 250gr threw it and added a Karsten cheek comb since this pic...next will be a new brake and some other gunsmithing work...should have her back in a month or so...

IMG_1500.jpg

I have removed a couple. It is not soldered! Do not have it milled off. Using a propane torch and using a Raytek temp gun to watch the temperature, heat the brake up to 470 degrees. Stick two phillips screws drivers through the holes opposing each other and twist off counter clock wise. It is torqued on to about 75 foot pounds or no more than a lug nut. Someone must hold the rifle down or you could pad up a vise to hold the barrel. It will not even bend the little #1 phillips screw drivers. No pounding. No bs. Once it breaks loose it will spin off freely.

If you still have trouble email me and I will walk you through this.

I tried it already with the propane torch. But I'll try it again tomorrow. Maybe just to less heat, haven't got a temp gun...

Wow thinking ones of these sitting in a Manners T2 with a can on it would be the shit. Not often I read a 12 pages thread but I am interested big time.

Hired gun is correct. I heated it up with a propane torch and it took about 1 1/2 minutes of flame before it finally let go. I kept the flame on the muzzle break only. I helped it with a rubber mallet on the screwdriver. Bent the screwdriver a little.

Over all and considering the rem 338LM is an assembly line rifle is it really worth the $ spent? I am not against it in fact i would like to own one. Do you thing a custom action is that much better then the rem. Thanks. MM

Picked mine up Saturday and was wanting to know if these would fit in any stock made for the Remington long action. Specifically I was looking at the Bell & Carlson Tactical Medalist A2 Style stock for Remington 700 DBM long action.

Thanks Kevin.

I just got a 700p 338lapua and it has a vortex viper 6.5-20x44 on it. I have 300gr bergers and 250gr accubonds, RL22, RL25, and H1000. Any ideas on load development. I have been reading this thread and the guns are getting good results. I shot mine for the first time yesterday with 86gr of H1000 and 300gr bergers and the bullet seated to 3.686. Also the 250 accubonds with 84gr of RL22 and on both the bolt got stuck and the groups were horrible. This shouldn't be max loads I dont think? I am using hornady brass and cci primers, RCBS dies. Just for a little background I shoot .25 groups @100yds with my 308, and .5 groups with my 300 H&H and also with my cousins 300 RUM. I don't think its me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: phil_h</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi there

I heated the muzzle first with a heatgun but it doesen't get off.
Thanks for your answers... </div></div>
I've taken off two brake ,loctite is hard but if you don't apply enough torque they don't get away.....
You don't need to get the brake too hot,only 10sec with a blowtorch was enough for me,put the barrel on a vice with protector(hold the barrel near the muzzlebrake) and insert 2 screwdriver in the brake holes to twist it off,best made with an help from another person to hold it firm while torquing.

Farewell
It is time for me to say goodbye to my 700 Police MLR 338 Lapua Mag. The sad thing is that I did not even get a chance to shoot it. We purchased a Barrett 95 (50 cal) this weekend for a great price and now I must sell the 338 to fund the Barrett (can’t afford to have both and feed them). I have enjoyed following this long posting, the information that everyone has shared has been very helpful. Thanks.

I just bought one from ProForce in Brea Ca for $925.00. They only had one in stock so I figured I should jump on it. This stick will force me into reloading which is something I have always wanted to do. Thanks to all for the info in this thread. It was very helpful.

Has anybody bed theirs? I have never bedded or skim bedded a rifle but this one seems like it might be a candidate.

Any tips?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SAS_Sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">how about lock base 250g in this rig??? </div></div>

Have a 100 count box ready to run thru the press!
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: robpiat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has anybody bed theirs? I have never bedded or skim bedded a rifle but this one seems like it might be a candidate.

Any tips? </div></div>

Yep, bedded mine and gave it a make-over. Check my thread under "700 MLR Project up and running".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Da-Law-Dawg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SAS_Sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">how about lock base 250g in this rig??? </div></div>

Have a 100 count box ready to run thru the press!
wink.gif
</div></div>

I'm wait your opinion about it
laugh.gif

PS. what powder do you use?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Beckahm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Farewell
It is time for me to say goodbye to my 700 Police MLR 338 Lapua Mag. The sad thing is that I did not even get a chance to shoot it. We purchased a Barrett 95 (50 cal) this weekend for a great price and now I must sell the 338 to fund the Barrett (can’t afford to have both and feed them). I have enjoyed following this long posting, the information that everyone has shared has been very helpful. Thanks.
</div></div>

Yea , and I just bought it . You can run Bob , but you cant hide !!

anybody use imr7828 or h4831....i need info about these 2 powders....what's the best?

I think I may have had some bedding / free float issues so I did some work on the barrel channel tonight. It was free floated for the most part but the slightest pressure would cause the stock to deflect. It was also really tight in the chamber area. I removed a bunch of material and have it where I am more comfortable with it. I think I could even take off another 1/16" and bee better but I got sick of the dust.

I can still push on the forearm and get it to touch the barrel but it requires some force. I wish the stock was stiffer and the barrel was a bit fatter on these guns!

My 700 Police is at my gunsmith having the brake changed. Spoke with him yesterday and said they were having difficulty getting the old brake off. Said they heated the barrel and only succeeded in destroying a couple of screwdrivers. He said they are thinking about milling the brake down to the threads. Anyone have any ideas that I can pass along to them.

Reread my posts on this thread and it is as easy as 1-2-3. The joint MUST REACH at least 470 degrees to release the loctite. Ask him what he is using to read the tempurature. Once you reach temp it can still be as tight as a lug nut so cheap screw drivers may not work. Use a big Cresent wrench with a bolt dropped into one of the holes and put the wrench over it. At much over 150 foot pounds of torque the threads will shear off. No way is it this tight. The barrel is already painfully short on this rifle. You have nothing to lose.

img2261.jpg

Hollands ? How do you like it ?? Did Darrel do the work ??

Where can I get extra mags for my rifle ??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mrtoyz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I believe 1 (800) 243-9700

-T </div></div>

Noted .

Likewise, a thanks for the number!

For anyone considering one of these rifles, by all means, go for it! Mine made its maiden trip to the range today and I am beyond happy with it. She is a solid sub-moa rifle, an absolute hammer!

Don't want to violate the group shot policy, but I do have a photo available of the following group for those interested via PM. Fellow hide member here (deh223) witnessed me log a .461" 5 shot string with Lapua factory 250 Scenar ammo!

Needless to say, I am more than pleased! Thought it would be hard to beat the AR30 for a factory rig but I am happily mistaken!

For those of you who are interested in the magazine issue. I spoke with Remington this morning. They say the magazines are 144 + 12 shipping + local tax. However, they are out of stock at this time. They expect more mags in about 6 weeks. They take backorders.

Moreover, I asked about availability from other vendors. They are still claiming that these mags are made by HS precision and subsequently available from them. Even though the HS mags are only 3 rounds, and the ones that I asked Remington about are 5 rounders. I asked her if the HS mags were designed to fit the pre-11/09 rifles and the current mags are made from someone else. She said it was a possibility.

On a side note. I also asked about the MSR(the fancy rifle with the folding stock and all the rails). She said they are available now through their LE distributors, and to contact them for pricing. On a related note. Has anyone seen one of these rifles in the wild? Do one of you guys have one? This last issue about the MSR might deserve a new thread.

I just spoke with a Remington LE distributor (Craig's Firearms). The person who answered the phone claims that Remington has no plans to release the MSR to the civilian market. He said he heard it straight from a Remington Rep. I think Remington needs to get their stories straight.

One way to avoid confusion is to avoid calling Remington headquarters. No one that talks to the public has much of a clue of the product line. The only scoop you can trust is the factory rep who supplies the distributors. So unless you own Sports South or are a major WD you will never get them on the phone unless they know you. Everything else is pure wishfull speculation.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: [email protected]</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can anybody tell me if the magazine system will fit a standard Remington BDL inlet or does the stock have to be modified to take the Remington detachable bottom metal? </div></div>
I would like to know to. Does anybody know? I do not have a LA bottom metal to try out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrb572</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: [email protected]</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can anybody tell me if the magazine system will fit a standard Remington BDL inlet or does the stock have to be modified to take the Remington detachable bottom metal? </div></div>
I would like to know to. Does anybody know? I do not have a LA bottom metal to try out. </div></div>

I ordered a standard long action inlet B&C Tactical Medalist A2 stock for mine and it had to be slightly modified. It took me about twenty minutes with a dremel to get the bottom metal to fit just right.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KIDGLOCK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
img2261.jpg

Hollands ? How do you like it ?? Did Darrel do the work ??

Where can I get extra mags for my rifle ?? </div></div>

Not this time. I bought the brake from RWS here on the Hide and my son fitted it and Cerakoted it. He is a smith in training. Not bad for 19. When he turns out look to see much more and better work.

It cut the recoil down to 243 sporter level.

Thank you. Just was thinking about a different stock and did not know if it would need to be re-inleted for it.

Just got my new 700P. The stock needs to be changed. I'm most interessted in a modular stock. So far I have looked at;:
Tac Mod
Sabre Forsst
Remington RACS
PDC Customs
JP ??

Does anybody know which of the above that are available now and fits the 700P ? So far it looks to me that the PDC is. The RACS I havent found a dealer for.