• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700 Police 338 Lapua rifles

Re: Remington 700 Police 338 Lapua rifles

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SAS_Sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guys, can you tell me OAL ??? </div></div>

46"

Could somebody point me in the right direction fra a tactical, light weight stock with picatinny mount for bipod that fits the 700p ? I'm also LH so I need a ambidextrous stock.

Found a nice stock now. Would a stock made for the rem 700 LA fit the 700p 338 ?

Hi , I have buy the rem700 MLR 338 , have test load Sierra 250 grs hpbp , N 165 90 grs V0= 2750fps test 400 meters 5 shoot in 8 cm , the best load for rifle is for 300grs???????????
Have your load ??
Best Regards

what are some other loads people are doing with these rifles anywho? havent had a chance to shoot mine yet still waiting on some other things for it lol

I have tried two powders so far.
Ramshot magnum. Accuracy was great but no speed.
Retumbo, Speed is good and I working on the accuracy thing now.
I have fired 75 rounds so far.

The current load is:
CCI-250 primer
Lapua Brass
95 grains of Retumbo.
300 grain SMK seated to 3.695" OAL
2710 FPS with a ES of less than 10 fps.

I have loaded as high as 2800 fps but it was running too much extractor mark. If the primer pockets remain tight I might sneek back up there. For now I'm dying to see how the Bergers run at a mile.

I now have 50 Berger 300 grain bullets loaded and am waiting on coating my new brake before I go shoot them. I lightly bumped the shoulder on these loads and seated them to feed from the mag. 3.695" feeds fine. This has me jumping about .180" to the lands.

I have a buddy with a twin rifle to mine that is working with RL-25 so we await his results.

If i wanted to build a 338 lapua based off the remington 700 action...i would have to get a donor action left hand long action magnum....my question is this. Ive been told that the 700 action with the 338 lapua has been problematic and shouldnt be trusted? Any truth to this? Since im a lefty its either i build the gun or nothing since i dont like shooting right hand too well.

Build an Edge, then.

Hmm i had not considered that. I looked the 338 edge up...not too bad of a alternative to the lapua. However even looking into the 338 edge...id probably be better off i think with a 338 RUM since seems to be more popular and so forth. The 338 edge seems to be somewhat similar to the 338 RUM. Im still researching but not in any rush.

I have never shot one but its the king out there for long range. Yes there other rounds out there but ive read the history about the 338 lapua and really looking forward to firing/owning one down the road.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hired Gun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is that new RWS brake installed. Still not coated yet.

Here are some fire forming loads beside one all improved and ready to go.

Just kidding. That is a 338 Allan Magnum </div></div>

How is that brake working out?

ordered mine last week now the wait begins dealer price $1119.00

I saw at used one a local gunshop for $900 .Thought it was a decent deal.If i didnt have my trg 42.I might have picked it up

Can one of you owners confirm that the OAL of the rifle itself in its original HS stock is 46"?
Ive stumbled over a good deal on a Galati dragbag, but it will only fit rifles up to 48" and I don't wanna buy it and have it not fit the rifle I have on order.

MrSwede, OAL is 46" in HS stock.

7.62willdo, bottom metal is not Badger, but a Remington version.

Got mine today and having trouble removing the brake. I have been using a 600 degree heat gun and a hex wrench that is about the size of the hole to rotate. Not getting it to budge. Any tips?

Propane and a couple philips screw driver. Heat it right at the junction. An infra red heat temp gun to measure the temp. At 470 have someone hold it down while you bust it loose and spin it off. A 600 degree blow dryer will be so slow the stock will catch fire befoe you get the joint up to 470 degrees. It's toooo slooowwww.

I ended up getting it

Its not just torqued on there. My guess is that its a thermo fit part. They heat up an undersized brake and it'll screw right on a cool barrel. When they temps equalize, its rock solid.

I burned through several levarage devices and had to literally beat the shit oout of it with a hammer.

The crown on these things looks horrible.

ETA pic:

crown.jpg

So what exactly did you do? Just got my muzzle brake and plan on trying to take mine off in a couple days when I get home.

It was ugly. I wish I had a video. IF I had to do it over again, I would use more heat and not worry about the finish like the guy said above.

I basically but a t handle hex wrench through the brake and beat the shit out of it with a hammer and saw that it rotated a bit. I am SURE that i didn't use enough heat in retrospect. Anyways, I was confident that one I got it started it would spin off at some point. Not true. It put up a fight until the last turn.

Did you see my pictures above? Did you think I was playing around?

That was brutal dude. The brake is not shrink fit. The loctite will not melt or become liquid again until at least 450 degrees. A propane torch on the threaded joint absolutely will not harm the parkerize that is on that rifle. I have done several of these and they all just come right of with a #1 philips screw driver handle stuck through the brake. No marks, no trace........

Does anyone know if Remington are shipping these at the moment or are they on backorder?
Placed an order through the UK importer for one a few weeks ago and haven't heard a bean on availability!!

Cheers

I have a friend who just ordered one from Gilberts guns. He said they were new models that just arrived. Do not know if they had them on back order or not.

I just bought one of these and it should be arriving soon.
I was just wondering how you guys know its a 40x action if it says Remington 700 on the side? Or does it say 40x?

Would this be an entry level .338? I would like to have a large caliber for the power factor. Still wouldn't shoot it as much or any further (1200yds) than my .260. Couldn't afford to. But would like to have something capable of shooting game at longer distances and incase I get to do some ELR shooting. Who else makes a decent .338 for around this money? Probably no one.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Range Report</span>
I took mine out for the first time today. Runs like a champ, I likee!
laugh.gif
It was windy today and blowing my target right and left like crazy, so my groups were inconsistent. But in terms of vertical spread, they were all 0.5-1.0 MOA, with most under 0.75. This with various handloads. A couple quick observations:

- The rifle doesn't kick hard at all. I was expecting something big, but it was quite mild. I'll probably leave alone the factory muzzle brake on for now. Other than the dust signature, I see no reason to replace it.

- Ejection of fired brass was weak. Even when I cycled the bolt vigorously, the spent case barely dribbled out. It doesn't do this with A-Zoom snap caps which eject well.

I used two chronographs back-to-back to capture velocities. One was a Shooting Chrony F1, the other was a Competition Electronics ProChrono. The F1 always read about 20-30 fps higher than the ProChrono, except the last group which was only 9 fps higher. Which is right? I believe the ProChrono's numbers more since it's a newer unit and appears better made. Just a guess of course. In the velocities I list below, I give the averages of both chronies.

Here's my velocity results. Conditions: Temp 80 degF, Altitude 1300'. Handload data: New Lapua brass, SMK 300g bullets, CCI 250 primer, Retumbo powder, OAL 3.695". All rounds were checked on a Hornady concentricity gauge (and corrected if necessary) for bullet runout < .0003". Velocities are adjusted from point of chrony (10 yards away) to muzzle velocity.

93.0g Retumbo:
F1 chrony - 2719 avg, 13 SD, 35 ES
ProChrono - 2687 avg, 11 SD, 27 ES

93.5g Retumbo:
F1 chrony - 2738 avg, 30 SD, 67 ES
ProChrono - 2710 avg, 26 SD, 54 ES

94.0g Retumbo:
F1 chrony - 2744 avg, 17 SD, 38 ES
ProChrono - 2722 avg, 14 SD, 33 ES

94.5g Retumbo:
F1 chrony - 2775 avg, 6 SD, 13 ES
ProChrono - 2752 avg, 6 SD, 17 ES

95.0g Retumbo:
F1 chrony - 2760 avg, 8 SD, 19 ES
ProChrono - 2751 avg, 8 SD, 23 ES

I have no idea why the 95.0g load averaged lower than the 94.5g load. In terms of good velocity and consistency, that 94.5g load looks promising. And it produced a nice tight group too.

So far I'm quite happy with this gun (obviously). Now I need to load some more ammo.

I read earlier in the post where AI was making a CIP mag that would fit the DBM. Does anyone know if they ever came out with them?

As I understood it, AI's new CIP magazine and Remingtons current magazine will not be the same specs/fit?

Ok I guess I misunderstood. I thought they would work.

I just measured my COAL with 250 Scenars before I hit the rifling and all I can get is 3.641
I had even loaded all my ammo to 3.681 IIRC as stated on the Lapua website for the Scenars but the bolt was hard to close and when I pulled the cartridge out (unshot) I had rifling marks on the bullet. Lucky I didn't shoot it that way I think, pressure might have been a tad high.
Anyone else have this problem? (if it is a problem)

Both the badger brakes suggest gunsmith install. On both, I presume, the rear of the brake has to be machined to make it time correctly or you could use shims. The PWS comes with a set of shims of various thicknesses so you can time it without machining. The PWS is designed for the shims as it has a flange to cover them up when installed.

Finally i've mounted the Roedale brake,it is very effective,more than the original and don't blow debris everywhere if used prone on ground....
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: robpiat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Both the badger brakes suggest gunsmith install. On both, I presume, the rear of the brake has to be machined to make it time correctly or you could use shims.</div></div>

Badger FTE brakes do not need to be timed. http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1248488

Does anybody know if a Badger DBM or other DBM that uses AICS mags will drop into the stock without the stock being modified?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrb572</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anybody know if a Badger DBM or other DBM that uses AICS mags will drop into the stock without the stock being modified? </div></div>

can anyone answer this?? Or has anyone tried Badger or Aics mags in the rifle?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: titus7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Or has anyone tried Badger or Aics mags in the rifle? </div></div>
Aics mags doesen't fit because are 2mm smaller than the original.

You have to order them from Remington. I think accurate mag to if I read correctly earlier in the post. That is why I was asking if anyone knew if another DBM that did would fit.

Can anybody tell me if the magazine system will fit a standard Remington BDL inlet or does the stock have to be modified to take the Remington detachable bottom metal?