• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700 Police 338 Lapua rifles

Re: Please HELP! Remington 700 Police 338 Lapua

Well I settled on a SAS Vengeance titanium suppressor for my MLR, now the waiting game to get it. I guess it will be this fall before the paperwork comes back.

I estimated it to be 900yds to the target before I miled it. Actual yardage 833yds with a 6mph tailwind straight in, Cold bore shot on a clean barrel with a second follow up shot. Both rounds are touching.
IMG_1583-2JPG.jpg

Re: Remington 700 Police 338 Lapua rifles

The three smudges in the shoulder are from wacking the chain that was covering the plate when the wind changed from left to right and I did not recalculate. I know it does not count unless it is a clean hit
eek.gif

Straight Shooter did you get your build done yet, I know you were waiting for your action.

2 questions....

#1 - Can you post a pic of your Versa Pod on a AICS? Is it a direct fit?

#2 - Does the BADGER REMINGTON 700 LONG ACTION SA 20MOA SCOPE RAIL MOUNT Item #: BO30607 have the 8-40 screws?

Asking for tomorrow I will receive my MLR and will be following up with upgrades.

I am using your standard type Harris bi-pod, best to call Badger and talk to them about their product. Me, I went directly to IOR VALDADA to make sure my pic rail fit properly.

Sorry to ask this question if it has been asked before but what Dia. and thread is the 338 MLR?

SKU# BO306-38 for 3/4-28 thread and .875” minimum barrel diameter.
SKU# BO306-38B for 5/8-24 thread and fits barrels at least .800" diameter.
SKU# BO306-38C for 3/4-24 thread and .875” minimum barrel diameter.

I'm going with a Badger but need the correct specs.

There is a used one of these locally at a gun shop and if someone is interested, I will give out the phone number. I think they have around $1300-$1400 on it. The one sittin right next to it that is new has a tag for $2099? Seem like a decent deal. It also has a 2 piece base on it, not that someone would use it though? PM me if you are interested and I will give you the number.

Threads for the factory muzzle brake are 5/8 x 24.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Thank you. I assume that makes the the dia. .800?</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Who Dat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Threads for the factory muzzle brake are 5/8 x 24. </div></div>

Yes, I am getting .847 directly behind the brake, you know how it is with trying to measure a tapered barrel with a dial caliber.

Well received my suppressor and the accuracy is 1 moa on my rifle, minimum POI shift, I could not be happier on a dirty barrel. Nothing like grinning ear to ear when you squeeze the trigger. My weapon package is complete, my hat is off to SAS on their product.

Congrats Who Dat! What load did you end up with?

Nosler Accubond 225gr, HSM Case, CCI Magnum primer, 92gr H1000.

Well, I finally got my 700P fixed up where it shoots good. I changed the barrel and a couple other things and now it shoots like I needed it to. Just in time for this years elk season.

img4934tu.jpg

img4932ok.jpg

img4930ew.jpg

Cant post the test target as it was only 3 shot groups but they are very satisfactory. I will shoot some 5 and 10 shot groups next time out.

Why do you call it a 700P? It doesn't look like its a remington anymore.

They are not Remington's, we both started out with the 700P's and wanted more! So Stiller action's Pac-nor barrels ect and this is what we have now. Mine is the one one the XLR chassis.

But it isn't a 700 at all, just a custom rifle that happens to be the same caliber as what is being discussed here?

That's what I thought? Love the topic but come on, its a custom.

Had the rail come lose during a comp so i bedded the rail and at the same time the mailman delivered a suitable "can" :)
The top can is for my 308w.
The 338 is now a real pussycat to shoot and delivers more consistently than ever.
318317FC-0205-453F-80BC-3EA9A31BDF4A-832-000001E3B1668811.jpg

Straight Shooter that rig looks awesome man, but for elk makes my 7 mag have a complex problem Ha! Let me know how that PacNor barrel shakes down when you are done doing the accuracy run up. Like the looks to it, maybe a perfect match when my barrel needs replaced on my Lapua.

Hi gang. Simple couple of questions from a new rem 338 owner. Too simple to easily find clarification unfortunately lol.

1. I purchased my rifle used advertised as a Remington MLR 338. Do MLR and police refer to the same rifle? Or are Rem MLR and 700P different animals?

2. I have the later style with the BO type drop mag and it looks very much like a single stack AI magazine. Is this the case? <span style="color: #FF0000">After slowly reading through the first 10 pages of this thread im going to go with "yes"</span>

Cheers
Droopz

The PacNor was ordered fairly light for the 700P/MLR but decided the 700 action is too flimsey to support it the way I wanted so the single shot Stiller was ordered. It fits in the Sendero barrel channel with minimal mods. 1.230" for 5" 35" radius to .950" then .800" at 30" It's been running a bullet hole and a half for 3 shot groups. It's holding way under sub MOA past 1000 yards. 94 grains Retumbo Lapua Brass, Fed 215 Primer, Berger 300 grain seated at 3.900". Velocity is 2850 in 30" 5 groove 1-9.5 twist. Chamber is PTG 338 Lapua Match.

Thanks for all the great info, guys. I bought a Rem700P in 338LM about a year ago. It shot great just as I bought it, but I wanted a more custom gun. I had Lilja make a 34" fluted barrel, which Kevin Neitzel of Accurate Sports in PA blueprinted, fitted, and chambered in a tight SAMMI Spec chamber. I place a NightForce 8-32x56mm NP-R1 Zero-Stop on it for glass. I haven't had time to shoot it much, and so far have only shot at 300yd, but in sight-it, it looks to be a great shooter. I haven't shot groups yet, per se, but the last five sight-in shots at 300yds were under 2.25'. I am tickled pink with its performance, and look forward to great things with this rifle.
I enjoy and appreciate all the info that I have learned here on this forum.

This caliber is just awesome.. thats all their is to say really

Hey guys I have a Remy 700 308 5r "mil-spec" with a Night force 3.5-15/50 love the gun and scope . Very interested in upgrading my stock and adding a box feed set up . What do y'all think the best way to go would be ? Thank you all for your advice in advance. Also my gun likes 168 grain searria meds the best for some reason I don't hand load yet but am currently working on getting setup is that a good round or is there Something else better out there
for my setup ?
Thanks again
Your friend from the Boot

Droopz Remington made two different models of the 338 Lapua, the first was more of a hunting rifle with the flush mount magazine, ie the 700 and then the MLR came out with and extended magazine.

Last edited:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: *Straight Shooter*</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The new barrel is still on order. I speced out a custom profile. 5 groove 9.5 twist to finish at 30". I will be truing it up as well as fluting the bolt and tigging the handle on. Still debating sleeving it. </div></div>

It was in this thread, on page 20.
Are you talking about sleeving the action????maybe?
Just curious.
Thanks

Does anyone have any info/experience with the 700 XCR in .338? Fewer issues, or the same? Thinking the 5R 416 SS barrel, which is longer and has the AAC brake may perform better...

Same weapon but with just upgraded features, better break and a stainless steel barrel. Everything else is the same, stainless or not you will br replacing your barrel like everyone else with the same round count. Most of the guys upgrade the stock that comes on it, nothing wrong with it but everyone has their favorite operating platform. Bottom line though is you want a break that reduces the recoil but does not have bottom ports to throw dust and debries onto your optic.

I have an unfired take off barrel from one of these I thought I would post it here before the for sale section, PM if interested
Steve

Saw a couple of 700 MLR .338 Lapuas on the rack at McBrides Guns in Austin, TX 512-472-3532
early this week if anyone is looking for one. Didn't price them.

Hey guys!! QUICK QUESTION

I have the MLR as well but my bottom metal is NOT the copy of the badger looking one. I DO have a detachable mag but NOT the AICS looking one. Does ANYONE know IF the AICS type factory mag will lock up with the other factory bottom????

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Matt (LEO SOUTH GA.)

Hey guys!! QUICK QUESTION

I have the MLR as well but my bottom metal is NOT the copy of the badger looking one. I DO have a detachable mag but NOT the AICS looking one. Does ANYONE know IF the AICS type factory mag will lock up with the other factory bottom????

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Matt (LEO SOUTH GA.)
No the AICS mags will not work

Thats what I kind of figured. MY LAST MLR was the B/O looking bottom metal. Sold it a few years ago. Got this one yesterday from a buddy and just trying to figure out if I need it or should just kick it down the road.

Its sooo hard finding ANTYING for it right now. Can NOT even find ANY of the flush FACTORY detachable mags.

Matt.