• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700 Recall on X-Mark Pro Triggers

Why can't remington just get together with a good trigger company like timney and start putting them in all there rifles?

For the same reason they don't offer better stocks from the factory:

The added price due to superior OE parts will reduce sales.

For the typical gun owner that would be lucky to shoot 100 "shells" through their bolt action rifle in a year, the X Mark Pro is probably fine, and adding even $100 to the price of the rifle might steer them toward a Tikka or Savage.

I have a Model 7 that is in the recall list. Is the "bonding agent" the glue that was applied in the factory to secure the adjustment screws - or is it something else ?

So... if one sends their rifle back, do they need to remove the optics, the base, and their chassis? Do you just send a barreled action back?

I want to adjust mine down. And dont have the budget right now for a new trigger. can i just re glue it after I am done? I guess what exactly are they going to fix?

Bender, the trigger adjust similar to the old style triggers, although the trigger is slightly different. The xmark is designed to block the trigger and the sear, this was a safety improvement over the older style triggers. The newest change was the external weight adjustment that supposedly allowed a 2 lb adjustment (down to 3.5 or somewhere around that). Even if you removed the small screw you could not reduce it lower than Remington's set "safe" weight.

xmarktriggerinternaladj-1.jpg

The issue with removing the screw(weight screw at base of trigger shoe), is there is a tiny spring that will be left inside with no pressure, that spring floating around will give inconsistent pull weights.

As for the other adjustments (sear engagement, weight, over travel) they were caked with glue to prevent the screws from moving, but appears also as a deterrent to user adjustment. The older triggers just has a slight amount of compound that could be scraped off with a fingernail or small scribe.

Now there are aftermarket spring kits available for the xmark to reduce weight past Remingtons default

Trigger Springs|Aluminum Pillar|Pillar Bedding|Gunsmithing

Issue is this kit in not recommended for the average user, it really should be installed by a qualified gunsmith.

In the end, it is up to the user to take responsibility for any maintenance and changes to their firearm. Just know that the consequence of failure could be a negligent discharge, the thought of accidentally hurting anyone has drawn a clear line for my qualifications and home smithing limits.

I have no issue with installing a factory tuned trigger(Jewel, Timney), as I will not mess with it after that. The fact that Remington shipped out faulty triggers sickens me.

The short answer to your question is Yes, you can remove the glue and then reseal with whatever you desire, just know after this recall, if you choose to work on the xmark, you own every bullet that leaves your rifle (intentional or negligent).

Disclaimer: All trigger work should be performed by a qualified and competent gunsmith.

Last edited:
I like lighter fluid for triggers. It has a lubricating property to it and displaces moisture well. Therefore, the trigger stays clean and working well...no rust.

You will. We'd to remove the trigger. If you don't fell comfortable doing this, get someone who does and learn. I feel it is important to know how to maintain the trigger group oneself. Then break the trigger group down, inspect for excess 'bonding agent', remove with a Bic lighter and a pick. After all is said and done, flush all parts with lighter fluid, reassemble and THOROUGHLY function test. It's simple and easy to do once someone show you how. Oh...and be careful to not send the bolt release spring across the garage...BTDT.. ?

I am a moron. nevermind.....

Bender, the trigger adjust similar to the old style triggers, although the trigger is slightly different. The xmark is designed to block the trigger and the sear, this was a safety improvement over the older style triggers. The newest change was the external weight adjustment that supposedly allowed a 2 lb adjustment (down to 3.5 or somewhere around that). Even if you removed the small screw you could not reduce it lower than Remington's set "safe" weight.

xmarktriggerinternaladj-1.jpg

The issue with removing the screw(weight screw at base of trigger shoe), is there is a tiny spring that will be left inside with no pressure, that spring floating around will give inconsistent pull weights.

As for the other adjustments (sear engagement, weight, over travel) they were caked with glue to prevent the screws from moving, but appears also as a deterrent to user adjustment. The older triggers just has a slight amount of compound that could be scraped off with a fingernail or small scribe.

Now there are aftermarket spring kits available for the xmark to reduce weight past Remingtons default

Trigger Springs|Aluminum Pillar|Pillar Bedding|Gunsmithing

Issue is this kit in not recommended for the average user, it really should be installed by a qualified gunsmith.

In the end, it is up to the user to take responsibility for any maintenance and changes to their firearm. Just know that the consequence of failure could be a negligent discharge, the thought of accidentally hurting anyone has drawn a clear line for my qualifications and home smithing limits.

I have no issue with installing a factory tuned trigger(Jewel, Timney), as I will not mess with it after that. The fact that Remington shipped out faulty triggers sickens me.

The short answer to your question is Yes, you can remove the glue and then reseal with whatever you desire, just know after this recall, if you choose to work on the xmark, you own every bullet that leaves your rifle (intentional or negligent).

Disclaimer: All trigger work should be performed by a qualified and competent gunsmith.

I GUESS i will just send it in.....cheap insurance and a heavy trigger. Time to save for an after market.

My 700 tactical (.223) is one of the affected trigger......
I already cleaned and adjusted my trigger and got it tweaked to a crisp 4 lb pull. My trigger did have a lot of that sealer crap on the adjustment screws.
The sealer on my trigger was a clear / translucent material that needed solvent to loosen it up and the help of a dental pick.

I am guessing Remington put a ton of it on the trigger screws to keep people from adjusting them and created another problem by doing so.
Instead of sending my re-stocked, bedded, added bolt knob , threaded barrel and QD can mount rifle with 20 MOA base to Remington I will take my chances.

And you can live with a 4lb trigger, really? Everytime I'd shoot your rifle I'd swear the safety was on.

Remington Model 700™ and Model Seven™ rifles which were manufactured from May 1, 2006 through April 9, 2014 and which have an X-Mark Pro® (“XMP®”) trigger.

That is a boatload of rifles...

Metaphorically, that's like recalling all F-Series Fords during the same period.

Remington Model 700™ and Model Seven™ rifles which were manufactured from May 1, 2006 through April 9, 2014 and which have an X-Mark Pro® (“XMP®”) trigger.

That is a boatload of rifles...

Metaphorically, that's like recalling all F-Series Fords during the same period.

My great uncle and I pulled out the Xmark in my 700 and backed out the adjustment screw a bit. I haven't had any issues with it but I've been tossing ideas around about a timney for a while

That sucks. Just as the weather here in the midwest is warming up and it's beginning to be rifle shooting weather, I need to send my stick back. Plus, it sits in a B&C stock so I assume I'll have to put it back into the Hogue stock? Big question is how long will they take to get it back to me... Will I be out of a rifle for months?

Maybe it's easier to just buy a Timney and be done with it.
I have all the same thoughts, I don't want to take off my scope, I like my ptg bottom metal and aics mags. Soooo where is the best place to buy a timney?

I have all the same thoughts, I don't want to take off my scope, I like my ptg bottom metal and aics mags. Soooo where is the best place to buy a timney?

They are back ordered but Midway has the Timney 510 on sale for $109 plus shipping.

And you can live with a 4lb trigger, really? Everytime I'd shoot your rifle I'd swear the safety was on.

After years of shooting service rifle where the legal trigger weight is actually higher, yea I can.
If the trigger breaks clean that is more important to me than the exact weight within reason and 4lbs is fine for me.

They are back ordered but Midway has the Timney 510 on sale for $109 plus shipping.

Thanks Just backordered the 517-16 for $118 after shipping that's the Nickel plated flat trigger version. I love flat triggers, have one on an Ed Brown 1911 and am fighting the urge to switch everything to flat.

I called the 800 number and sat on hold for 30 minutes. No biggie,I turned on the speaker phone and left the phone on while working at my desk. Talked to a lady on the phone and got some answers.
Mine is also effected by the recall.

Question-What will need to be shipped with the rifle.
Response-just the rifle in a stock. Doesnt need optics or mounts.

Question-My rifle no longer has the original bottom metal.
Response-Thats fine,we dont need it anyway.

Question-Would you happen to know turnaround time?
Response-Negative,I have no idea what the turnaround time is because this is a fairly new recall to us.

More later,I have not had time to open my email from them about the shipping yet.

I did the "on-line" thing... msg back said prepaid box would be sent for return.... think I'll just drop the $$ for a Timney and not risk not gettin it back!

Does anyone know if a timney 517 straight trigger will have to have the longer seer for a rem sps tactical with the 20 inch barrel cause I was looking after I ordered on one site looked on another and it said if it was going on a rem 700 sps Varmint with the 26 in barrel that I'd have to prob get the longer seer its a Timney 517 but apparently they offer a long seer version and i dont know but mine is not the varmint it is just regular sps tac in 20 in barrel not threaded like the aac any idea? Thanks

[MENTION=102621]hotforge78[/MENTION], I can't answer your question from a technical knowledge point of view, but I can tell you that I have a regular 517 on my R700 Varmint and it works great, every time. However, mine is not an SPS varmint, so there you go...

I was trying to replace this shitty X-mark anyways but now I guess I'm not shooting until I find a Jewell or just break down from depression and buy a Timney. Also just want to point this out I have never seen Midway sold out of Timney right hand without safety, until yesterday.

If the XMP trigger adjustment actually worked then Remington wouldn't have had to overload the screw holes with goop to deter people from trying to get decent trigger pull. I'd rather be shooting my gun instead of waiting for who knows how long for it to sit at Remington's factory waiting on a 10 min cleaning. It looks like an aftermarket trigger for me.

All that the recall is for is potential sealant leaking into the trigger housing casing issues. If one can not remove, disassemble, inspect, clean, reassemble, and reinstall their own, they should look for a new hobby. Trigger maintenance is just as important as bore cleaning, bolt cleaning an maintenance. Just yank the trigger out and look yourself!

^^^
I must be the only person here that understands that a properly tuned and maintained old school flat back trigger is everything any goochi trigger is without all of the bragging rights.

Flame away.

^^^
I must be the only person here that understands that a properly tuned and maintained old school flat back trigger is everything any goochi trigger is without all of the bragging rights.

Flame away.

I love my flat safety trigger. 24 oz with ease, and very reliable.

Just got off with Remington CS and when I asked if i could just send back the trigger group,since i'm replacing it with a Timney, women replied that "they are being very strict about sending back the whole rifle so they can do a safety check...and to wait a little while because they are swamped and maybe later they can just swap out the trigger".

I was told that they needed the whole rifle as well. Not sure how I feel about them shipping my rifle back to me in Commienecticut, so I ordered a Timney. :mad:

Remington had better find a way to make this right by people or they are going to lose serious future business.

I'll just wait until Remington opens there new facility in Huntsville in a few years, and walk in.
Should about match the time it would take to get my rifle back if I sent it to them this week.

Two 510's on backorder. Not going to send them my rifles but will hold onto the triggers in case they will do a swap/replacement down the road. At least it sounds like the people who bought takeoffs should be able to clean them themselves.

I was told that they needed the whole rifle as well. Not sure how I feel about them shipping my rifle back to me in Commienecticut, so I ordered a Timney. :mad:

Remington had better find a way to make this right by people or they are going to lose serious future business.

Why would it be a problem to have the rifle shipped back to you in CT. The only place i know for sure where Remington will not ship or return a Firearm is here in NYC.

I cringe at the thought of sending Remington my modified 700 tactical. Actually there is no way I am sending it to them.
One of my shooting buds gave me a killer deal on a new straight trigger Timney for a 700 so I will swap my trigger and see if Remington wants to trade their "defective" trigger for a replacement one.

Was planning on doing the same thing. Rep's comment only cemented that

Sent using Taptalk

I want to adjust mine down. And dont have the budget right now for a new trigger. can i just re glue it after I am done? I guess what exactly are they going to fix?

Don't even bother, turning the screw all the way out does nothing to the weight of the trigger, at least that's what I found in my SPSS. Of course many of you know I put a Jewell on before I shot the rifle.

Why would it be a problem to have the rifle shipped back to you in CT. The only place i know for sure where Remington will not ship or return a Firearm is here in NYC.

Let's just call it paranoia and leave it at that...

I wonder how much Timney and Jewell are going to thank Remington for all the business......I bet they are doing cartwheels of joy.

Anyone have a good DIY on disassembly and inspection of the trigger group?
Even a good adjustment video/post would be great too.

Anyone have a good DIY on disassembly and inspection of the trigger group?
Even a good adjustment video/post would be great too.
I found this clear instruction on adjustment of X-Mark Pro trigger that shows clearly what it looks like as an assembly. I didn't see anything on dis-assembly of that trigger. You should do a video when you take yours apart and re-assemble it...just sayin'. :)

However, I bet that if you ordered one of these Jard http://www.jardinc.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=47:700-trigger-xpro&catid=1:700&Itemid=4X-Mark Pro Trigger Kits, you would get complete disassembly and assembly instructions.

Shit titties this pisses me off. I have never kept an xmark pro trigger on a 700 for longer than it took to get a timney in the mail and most of my 700's came with a 40x anyway. I went into my lgs today to order a 700 long range in 25-06 and they tell me about this crap. Fuck balls.

Does anyone know if a timney 517 straight trigger will have to have the longer seer

A 517 has the same sear as the 510. If you want a long sear 517 you can call Timney and request a 517 built with a long sear. The standard sear Triggers will reduce firing pin fall of a Remington 700 ~.045-.050". The U sear (long sear) will have/retain approximately the same pin fall as the factory trigger. The choice is yours.

I wouldn`t trust Remington just to clean off this bonding agent to make it safe. They say they have confidence in their x-mark pro triggers, but it could also be a faulty design on the whole thing. Get a Jewell.

It's inevitable, 700s will have Accutrigger aka Crossfire they use on 783 aka Pro-Fire on Marlin XL7.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery....

Next thing you know, they will start using a barrel nut system too. Oh wait, I guess they are doing that too...........

I don't know what everyone is gripping about. After all, Remington is going to give us a 40% off coupon to use in their store to buy Remington badged crap... Don't you all want a Remington baseball cap????

Seriously, the article I read on Army Times today said the total number of rifles effected by the recall may be closer to 1.2-1.5 million, once the Model 7 rifles are included.

Same article said no military contract rifles were included in the recall because those don't use the X-Mark Pro trigger. I say we all just switch to Timney, Jewell, etc and send Remington the bill for the triggers.

Two 510's on backorder. Not going to send them my rifles but will hold onto the triggers in case they will do a swap/replacement down the road. At least it sounds like the people who bought takeoffs should be able to clean them themselves.

Same here, ordered two on Monday and I just got notice they shipped yesterday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't know what everyone is gripping about. After all, Remington is going to give us a 40% off coupon to use in their store to buy Remington badged crap... Don't you all want a Remington baseball cap????

Seriously, the article I read on Army Times today said the total number of rifles effected by the recall may be closer to 1.2-1.5 million, once the Model 7 rifles are included.

Same article said no military contract rifles were included in the recall because those don't use the X-Mark Pro trigger. I say we all just switch to Timney, Jewell, etc and send Remington the bill for the triggers.

I'm actually doing that. Attention accounts payable.