• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Remington firing pin issue (Pic update)...

Frostbite Slim

Gravity Tester
Minuteman
Aug 29, 2010
I hope you can assist me here... I have put 255 rounds through this Remington 700 SPS Tactical, when it was new, the firing pin was about 1/16" proud, now it is about 1/32" inside the shroud when cocked... Is there any need to worry?

Cocked and on "Fire"
d5fa0f03.jpg

Cocked and on "Safe"
8eb49a6e.jpg

Fired
8ee17837.jpg

Cocked and removed
6799e837.jpg

Re: Remington firing pin issue...

In dry fire mode, yes. I don't know if I should run live loads through it... I am kinda fond of the 7 holes God put in my face, I don't want to add any unnecessary ones. Plus the leakage of red life juice from my head might not be too pleasant...

can't tell what is happening from those pictures. I would think it should be holding back the same now as before, but maybe the cocking ramp was holding it up and has now broken in? Does the firing pin protrude at all when you take it out of the action? When you take it out of the action does the rear of it look the same as the pictures?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GasLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does the firing pin protrude at all when you take it out of the action? </div></div>

No. It is just a bit inside the shroud

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GasLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When you take it out of the action does the rear of it look the same as the pictures?</div></div>

Yes, it is not square with the end of the shroud. Like I said earlier, it dry fires with no issue, the pin prorudes from the bolt face when fired. It just doesn't look like I think it should. Nor does it look like my other 700.

Sorry, does the firing pin protrude at all from the bolt face when you take the bolt out of the action. If it is recessed inside the bolt face when you take it out (it should be cocked at this point) then it is likely ok. Would need to check it with the firing pin relaxed to make sure it is protruding enough and cocked to make sure it isn't protruding at all.

Dave

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GasLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry, does the firing pin protrude at all from the bolt face when you take the bolt out of the action. If it is recessed inside the bolt face when you take it out (it should be cocked at this point) then it is likely ok. </div></div>

Yes, when it is cocked, the pin is recessed inside the bolt face like it should be, I guess it isn't set as deep as it once was. I was assuming that it was OK, just wanted a little professional confirmation before live fire.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GasLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Would need to check it with the firing pin relaxed to make sure it is protruding enough and cocked to make sure it isn't protruding at all.

Dave </div></div>

I pressed a spent primer into a dummy round, and it dented the primer like it should upon trigger actuation, so I guess it will be OK for the load tests this weekend. If not, this just might be one of my last posts...
grin.gif

if the rifle is dry firing correctly it will work dont worry some times things like the sears just settle in the firing pin can not come out of the back of the bolt if you had a massive case failure then you would have to have all the gas come backwards and it cant do that then it would have to shear the cross pin holding the cocking piece to the back of the firing pin and then send it into you and that is not likly. the part you are seeing is not the firing pin it is the cocking piece and it is cross pinned to the firing pin and the two can not be disasembled without the bolt being taken apart then the spring compressed allowing the cocking piece to come backwards out of the schroud then you have to punch the cross pin out before you can then attempt to remove it from the firing pin.

Just shoot your rifle and dont get all caught up in the remington is unsafe crap going around. if it is a new SPS that no one has screwed with it will be GTG

Thanks Wild Bill, I am never gonna jump on the "Remington isn't safe" bandwagon, I was just figuring that I did something unsafe. I've shot 700's for years, just never noticed the cocking piece (don't have any idea why I couldn't remember the nomenclature) being recessed on any of my other 700's (which are all about 5k miles away from me now).

Do you dry fire alot? You may want to see if the crosspin holding your firing pin to the cocking piece is bend or broken.

The cocking piece protrudes from the shroud when cocked for a reason....fired "in", cocked "out", visual confirmation of the fire control's status. I'd be finding out why it doesn't do that, but that's just me.

It's almost like that bolt's been taken apart and the shroud installed again less one turn....but the gap in the pics looks appropriate.

I wouldn't be afraid to shoot that by anything I see on the pictures. I might double check that where the sear engages the striker is in good shape, then I would just rock on...

Thanks again, I am going to clean it up and get some load testing done. I will update this if there are any issues.