• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

reminton 700 in 300 RUM questions

TheAtomSmasher

Private
Minuteman
Oct 20, 2011
illinois
Hi im new to this fourm. I need some questions answered that i could not find the answers to any where else, other fourms, ask.com, ect.
I have a remington 700 sps chambered in 300 RUM.
It has an NcStar 10-40x50 rangefinder scope on it
Its a $100 scope only because im very tight on money right now, but i don't plan on shooting more than 100 yard with it any time soon.
Here are some questions that i had:
1:Is this a good scope for that range shooting?
2:Can a fat bastard muzzle break be put on this gun?
3:What kind of stock ammo is best for getting through steel plates?

I would appreciate if sombody would answer these questions for me.

Re: reminton 700 in 300 RUM questions

Can't really answer #2 or #3, but I will tell you that NcStar scopes aren't good for shooting at any range, particularly when it's mounted in a heavy kicker like a 300 RUM. I have yet to see one NcStar product last. If you're on a budget, I'd suggest you pick up a used SWFA SS 10x. Should be all you need for 100 yard shooting.

Just out of curiosity, why do you need to go THROUGH steel plates?

If you are only shooting 100 yds buy or trade for a 308 or 5.56. The 300 Rum will eat that scope real quick.If you are not reloading $75 a box for ammo will kill your budget. Why burn that much powder for close range? And if you plan to "get thru steel plates" you will be asked to leave most ranges

Thank you
The ony reason im only shooting at 100 yards or less is becuase i have a bad scope. I hope to shoot at longer ranges with that gun some time in the future. Thats the main reason i got the 300 RUM. For now i just going to shoot at steel targets and stuff like that so i can get use to the rifle and the caliber. The reason i want to shoot at steel targets is because, the way i see it if im going to spend around $3-4 PER round, im going to shoot at something worth shooting. Im not a hunter, nor a long range shooting expert, im just a person who has been shooting for a while and was looking for something bigger.
And i go shooting on private property.
Thank tho for responding

Oh yeah, just bought that scope too so im kinda skrewd
Taking consideration into what you said i probably will not sell it.
Im very interested in whatever anyone has to say about this topic tho...

With a .300 RUM at or about 100yds...you wont even need a range finder.

Finaly i got out and shot it last week!
The NcStar scope works and held up so far, i have not shot at a target yet just randome thing (milk jugs filled with water, a 5 gallon bucket, ect...) and it works great, I was using power level 1 (lowes power ammo rem. makes for 300 RUM) soft tiped ammo and it didnt kick that bad, i very small and it was not bad at all. Very powerfull
Great gun.

300 RUM and tight budget do not go well together. You know shooting that rifle at not only 100 but anything under 800 is a real waste. You may get 1k rounds out of the barrel with the good stuff if your cautious with your heat and cleaning. I would hesitate burning it up at short range personally and have a $600 barrel swap around the corner.

I love my RUMs but they are expensive to feed and maintain. If your not using it for the perfomance at 1500y and the ease of rebarrling to EDGE I would say that's a mighty expensive plinker!

All I can say is your fucking retarded.

If your going to have a 300 rum don't waste your money on the power level 1 . Shoot the real stuff.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MN sharpshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All I can say is your fucking retarded.
</div></div>
YOU owe me a new keyboard!
Coffee all over this one
smile.gif

<span style="font-weight: bold">jacob L,</span>
I think MNSS is trying to tell you is you are much better off with something much smaller that you can afford to shoot and scope properly.

Some guys can afford to shoot a 50bmg ever weekend...Not me.
So I shoot smaller bores and shoot ofter the bring the big boomers out ever now and then.
While I understand the thrill of the cannon (I have them all) I suggest you look to smaller things or at least reloading gear.

Peace

Thanks for the advice people (MN sharpshooter you suck)
The only reason i cant use the rifle to its fullest is because i dont have a good place to shoot, i mean i live in illinois give me a brake. I also many other rifles to shoot and plink with i hope to start reloading soon and also the only reson i got power level 1 rounds is bcause i wanted to get a feeling for the rifle. The reason i am tight on money now is because i bought a few boxes of ammo shortly after buying the gun. once again i like what you guys have to tell me,thanks.
By the way about how long will the barrel last, i have well mantained it?

+1 FOR YOU Jacob L Theirs always got to be someone with sarcasm.To a now be

Jacob L.

I too agree that the 300 RUM does not sound like the proper caliber for you, with the details you have given. But, I am not one to tell another person how or what to do. I will give some insight though.

You asked,"How long will the barrel last?"--> If it is a pencil barreled SPS (or even a heavy barrel), you should plan between 800-1500 rounds. Probably 1500 if you continue to shoot the Power Level 1 ammo, but with the PL 1 you dont have whole lot of gain over a 30-06, that will have a barrel life well into the 2k+ range.

With your explanation of where you live, the distances you can shoot, and the money budget............I would highly recommend a...........308. Barrel life in the 5-6k range, excellent for 100y stuff all the way out to steel at 1000y, and extremely easy on the wallet for quality (match grade) ammo. Hell you could get 100 rounds for nearly $100, of some M118LR clone, where with the 300 RUM (you already know), for 20rds you are in the $50-$80 price range.

I had a 300 RUM and it is was spectacular at the 1000y+ ranges. I didn't even group test it at 100y. There is the proper place to deploy a 300 RUM, and 100y is not it.

If going through steel is your goal......which I have to question why?!..........I like to hear it smack, and watch as the bullet explodes. But here again, to each thier own.