• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Remmy 700 LA Warped

mike harper

Private
Minuteman
Oct 23, 2011
oregon
HI just wanted to know if any GUNSMITHS out their have run into a WARPED Remmy 700 action. Took one to a new local smith to see what he could do and he called me back and he told me the action was warped has any body run into this?? Or is this something more like to much heat when taking off barrel?? I can understand if barrel was stuck and heat was needed, things happen, the rifle worked fine it hit what it was aimed at. Any ideas out their??
Thank you
Harps

Where and how is it warped? What method was used to determine this?

Is it bent? Is it twisted? is the front ring oval shaped?

I had the smith take 2 guns a part remove barrels on 2 Remington 700's. He was to true & blue print 1 action, he called me up and told me it was warped/twisted, if you look at the action I don't see anything wrong with it ,it could have been his action wrench and a little to much muscle. I hope the other action is not twisted as well if the other action is, that would point at the smith. So I was going to send 1 action to Dixon/LRI. Now I"m going to send 2. I'm just hoping I don't have 2 twisted actions. The smith was telling me that he called Masden or some last name like that and Masden says you might see 1 warped action out of 200 actions or so. New local smith just wanted to give him a try I might have taught myself another one of those lessons in life everyone talmks about from time to time.

Ask him if he used a rear entry wrench on the action. When removing factory tubes, the type of wrench that wraps around the front ring is the way to go.

Who the hell is this guy? That doesnt even make any sense. Unless he means the front ring is twisted in relation to the rear bridge, and in that case he effed up removing the barrel. If the bolt cycled prior to him getting it, it didnt come from Remington that way. Get it back from him, see if the bolt cycles, and if it doesnt its pretty obvious he did something. Or he did in fact use a wrap around wrench and torqued it down too tight and actually smashed the front ring.

If you want to send it to me I will look at it and see whats going on, if its not obvious looking at it Ill dial it in on the lathe and see whats going on.

I thought about that , the blot not working right but he trued /squared up the lugs and the bolt does not hit anything it seems to work just fine the bolt worked fine before

That really don't mean anything; I had an action in the shop a while ago that was twisted, a LH one, that the guy actually thought it had LH action threads!! If you put a couple of long screws or two taps, one in the front and one in the back mount holes, sight down the front or back of the receiver to see if they are aligned. Pretty easy jwjay to see if it is twisted.