• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes remmy 700 rings and mounts please help

JWGILLAM

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 6, 2009
asheville nc
I have a new 700 sps varmint .308 on the way. going to put a 6-24x44 scope on it. what are the best rings to put on it with a TIGHT BUDGET($100-$150 max). looked at leupold bases but 1 piece? or 2 piece? rings? high, medium, or low? would also like the idea of having a base with 10 or 15 moa built in. What economical suggestions can be made for this? gimmie ideas here in need of help and direction.....

Re: remmy 700 rings and mounts please help

I'm just going through something similar and all I can say is that you need to decide on a setup and find people with similar setups to inquire about ring height.

With a rifle practically identical to yours, an SPS Tactical .308 and a Tasco SS 10X42, I ended up with Leupold Mark 4 2-piece 20moa bases and High, steel, Mark 4 rings; all bought used either here or on ar15.com. The Medium height rings placed the scope lower but didn't give me the bolt to scope clearance I wanted. With so many different brands and no real standardization of specs, once you start mixing things up, it makes it tough. Word of caution, Leupold Mark 4 bases are not Picatinny standard; I learned that one the hard way. Btw., you'll probably want to replace the stock with something a little more stable.

Good luck

I would go with a 1 piece EGW 20moa base topped with Burris XTR medium rings all for around $100.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MarioM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would go with a 1 piece EGW 20moa base topped with Burris XTR medium rings all for around $100. </div></div>

Is a 20moa base too much to keep a 100 yard zero???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jgillam</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MarioM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would go with a 1 piece EGW 20moa base topped with Burris XTR medium rings all for around $100. </div></div>

Is a 20moa base too much to keep a 100 yard zero???</div></div>

Depends on how much adjustment you have in the scope, but most people have no issues getting a 100 yard zero with a 20moa base...

I have the same set up and got a BO Base with Burris XTR Low rings. I also have a 50mm obj. The first set of rings that i bought were too high. You could also get a Karsten cheek piece. So many options and set ups.Scrap the sps stock. My .02.

+1 on the Burris and EGW set up 20 MOA will be fine for 100 yrd zero scrap that stock look at B&C they are inexpensive and great quality.

bshaw
GEDC0445.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MG-70</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Word of caution, Leupold Mark 4 bases are not Picatinny standard; I learned that one the hard way. </div></div>

Wow, I would recommend the Leupold combo but would opt for the single pc base over the 2 pc bases. I've never run into problems with MK4 bases being out of 1913 spec.

I've mixed and matched rings and bases with good luck. Could it have been a set of QRW bases, but that shouldn't have made a difference either.

good luck