• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Removing a live round from chamber when extractor

jpretle

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 24, 2005
Big Sky Country
Got a live round stuck in my 40-x chamber and the rim is partially torn off. Any ideas on getting it out. The brass rod method forced the bullet into the case. Any help out there?????

Re: Removing a live round from chamber when extractor

compressed air through a blow gun with the rubber tip.

You could try a little Kroil around the base of the cartridge & more down the barrel. I have had brass stuck in a sizing die & after ripping the rim off put Kroil on & let it sit overnight was able to get the case out of the die with a small hammer & brass rod.

It was a tight fit to begin with and I thought the handle would go all the way. Well, it didn't. Pounding it up with the heel of my hand tore a part of the rim away.
Bottom line, it actually was the 'loose nut' behind the trigger.

You can use a paint can opener (looks like a wire T with a claw at the bottom) as a manual extractor. Slip it into the bolt raceway and engage the rim, then yank sharply. If that doesn't work, saturate the base of the cartridge with CRC Blaster, soak, and try again.

One method that you may try is pour oil down the barrel so you have about 6"+ oil in front of the cartridge and then put a close fitting brass rod down the muzzle. You then tap on the rod and the hydraulic effect will force the case out. Yes it is messy but safer than tapping on the case directly.

Good Luck,
Ken

Life Endowment Member NRA

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: krlemas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One method that you may try is pour oil down the barrel so you have about 6"+ oil in front of the cartridge and then put a close fitting brass rod down the muzzle. You then tap on the rod and the hydraulic effect will force the case out. Yes it is messy but safer than tapping on the case directly.

Good Luck,
Ken

Life Endowment Member NRA </div></div>

Make sure you remove it from the stock and cover the glass on the thing really well before trying this.

A little oil down the muzzle and the rubber tipped air line is probably a better bet, but it depends on where you're doing this.

You can also try getting some "Canned Air" or "Duster" and hold it upside down and freeze the cartridge. Brass has a larger CTE value than steel, it may just pop right out after that. No mess whatsoever.

You guys are omitting an important step with the blower. You need to put a big wad of cloth in the ejection opening so that thing doesn't blow out of there and strike the primer on what ever it stops against. And don't have any flesh in the path either. And for freezing it go get a can of freon or borrow a vortex tube from a
mechanic.

might also try a little R12 freon down the tube. First put it into a Styrofoam cup then down the barrel the freezing action should destroy powder or at the least bring it down to 20 or so degrees below zero so you wont have an ignition problem and should shrink the case and allow a rod down the barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">might also try a little R12 freon down the tube. </div></div>

Yea right, just run down to the auto parts store and pick up a can.

Last I checked, a small can of R12 was going for about $20 and you had the be licensed to buy it.

must be nice

Can't find it around here except at shops.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
You can also try getting some "Canned Air" or "Duster" and hold it upside down and freeze the cartridge. Brass has a larger CTE value than steel, it may just pop right out after that. No mess whatsoever. </div></div>

+1 on this, unless you have access to some LN2....
wink.gif

Thanks for all the suggestions. The task was accomplished using a variation of the paint can opener suggestion and a slap hammer affair. I am a bit wiser now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jpretle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for all the suggestions. The task was accomplished using a variation of the paint can opener suggestion and a slap hammer affair. I am a bit wiser now. </div></div>

Glad it you got it out!
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">might also try a little R12 freon down the tube. First put it into a Styrofoam cup then down the barrel the freezing action should destroy powder or at the least bring it down to 20 or so degrees below zero so you wont have an ignition problem and should shrink the case and allow a rod down the barrel. </div></div>

That is a federal offense.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can use a paint can opener (looks like a wire T with a claw at the bottom) as a manual extractor. Slip it into the bolt raceway and engage the rim, then yank sharply. If that doesn't work, saturate the base of the cartridge with CRC Blaster, soak, and try again. </div></div>

this has worked for me with a blown primer and a demolished casing before

I think a can 134a refrigerant is easily available at an auto parts store, should still come out freezing when turning the can upside down, and should probably shrink it enough to get out. This would be my first thing to try. Don't freeze your fingers. Good luck.

Just remember the old adage: "if it don't fit, don't force it in...back it up and try again". JMHO

If you release it into a Styrofoam cup it will stay liquid for a while and is fun to play with (freeze stuff fast) like a flower and then toss it on the ground and it will shatter and you can actually drip it onto skin as long as you let it run off quickly. The boiling point of R12 is -21.8 degrees and R134a is -15. So pretty much the same.

I wouldn't dump anything like that down my barrel. I'd take off the scope, take it out of the stock and dump Kroil down the barrel and let it sit for a while and let it works it's way between the brass and barrel. Then it should pop out.

It is actually pretty safe stuff. It can stay in contact with just about every metal, plastic, etc. for YEARS with no damage, corrosion, pitting, or discoloration of any kind and does not carry moisture other than condensation from temp differences. As temps go -20 degrees is pretty tame considering cryo'ing barrels go all the way to -300 degrees

Remove scope, remove bolt, remove from stock, remove trigger, etc etc.

Spray a boatload of WD-40 or Kroil in there, let it soak into the case, barrel, powder, primer for a good day or two.

Wear glasses, gloves and ear protection. Put the brass rod down there and smack it harder, keep your face out of the way....I can't imagine it wouldn't come out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jpretle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for all the suggestions. The task was accomplished using a variation of the paint can opener suggestion and a slap hammer affair. I am a bit wiser now. </div></div>

He already got it out.

yup almost forgot about that whole global warming, space shuttle plate breaking R12 earthquake causing phenomenon. I will make sure I will not ever and have not at any time since its banning ever release any Dichlorodifluoromethane - CF2Cl2 into the atmosphere under any circumstance so help me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Furner</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">might also try a little R12 freon down the tube. First put it into a Styrofoam cup then down the barrel the freezing action should destroy powder or at the least bring it down to 20 or so degrees below zero so you wont have an ignition problem and should shrink the case and allow a rod down the barrel. </div></div>

That is a federal offense.</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yup almost forgot about that whole global warming, space shuttle plate breaking R12 earthquake causing phenomenon. I will make sure I will not ever and have not at any time since its banning ever release any Dichlorodifluoromethane - CF2Cl2 into the atmosphere under any circumstance so help me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Furner</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">might also try a little R12 freon down the tube. First put it into a Styrofoam cup then down the barrel the freezing action should destroy powder or at the least bring it down to 20 or so degrees below zero so you wont have an ignition problem and should shrink the case and allow a rod down the barrel. </div></div>

That is a federal offense.</div></div> </div></div>

I fell better already
laugh.gif