• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Removing Badger Thruster Brake

Hunt

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 3, 2005
Tennessee
I just received a new build with a Badger Thruster on it. For the life of me, I cannot twist it off by hand. Badger mentions not to put anything through the ports to remove it. What is the best way to remove it without leaving pipe wrench marks or some other idiot marks?

The best way is to make a tool out of aluminum 3/8 Or 1/2 inch you can take a Piece of aluminum drill and slightly bigger than a brake then cut a slot from hole to edge and thread it with a cap head screw so it squeezes the brake and give it a good tap with a hammer and should come loose or if you have a vise with some plastic jaws may work also good luck

The few times I took mine off before I got my suppressor, I just put a 1/4" brass rod that I keep in my range bag through the ports if I need more leverage. I figured brass would be softer than the brake material. Seems to be fine but I only took it off maybe twice and it hasn't been back on since I got the can so I guess I can't say if it effected accuracy or anything else.

I just received a new build with a Badger Thruster on it. For the life of me, I cannot twist it off by hand. Badger mentions not to put anything through the ports to remove it. What is the best way to remove it without leaving pipe wrench marks or some other idiot marks?

I would wrap it in brown paper (like a bag) to prevent marring and then torque down a couple hose clamps over it. Then use a large set of channel locks or pipe wrench, etc. on the hose clamps. Unless it was installed with high temp threadlocker you should have plenty of force to unscrew it.

I made some soft jaws out of UHMW plastic for stuff like this. I clamped 2 pieces together and drilled holes through them in different diameters so I can clamp barrels and bolt bodies in my vise. I recently used them to remove the factory brake on my MPR and to hold the bolt while I removed the extractor. With something like this you could clamp onto the outside of the brake.

lDRz333.jpg