• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Removing barrel Nut

_Shay_

thing 2
Minuteman
Jun 5, 2009
USA
I need to remove the barrel nut on my AR, but I don't have the money to buy the tools or send it to a smith. Are there any other ways to take it off besides using an action block and the barrel nut wrench? My dad and I have tried just about everything and we've had no luck.

Thanks
Shay

Re: Removing barrel Nut

If you dont have the money for the tools or a smith why do you own the AR15. Pony up the cash and buy the tools they can be had in the $40 range for a Panther block and old type nut wrench.

on the up side maybe there is a hider near you that can help you out. you might also ask around on the HTF for ARFCOM

There is no other way without creating a nice, worthless paperweight. The wrench runs about $25 and the block is around $39. How much to replace your upper rcvr and fubar'd barrel nut?

Ahh, I guess the tools are a lot less than I thought, I can afford those.

Sorry for the waste of time .

see if there is anyone else in your area that might have them. see if you can borrow. i own an AR and have no tools to do this either. i never plan on needing them during the life of the weapon. its still unfired. but with the stuff that you want to do, you need the tools. borrow what you can. there was a used block in the for sale too, just a few days ago

This wrench works great for the original style barrel nut.
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=468/Product/AR_15_M16_COMBINATION_WRENCH
The DPMS model is also nice I own both
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=5557/Product/AR_15_MULTI_TOOL

And the PRI unit is a little nicer than the DPMS unit as in its aluminum where the DPMS is Delrin i think
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=27411/Product/AR_15_M16_UPPER_RECEIVER_VISE_BLOCK

I missed my quote on the price though.

Wrench is like $37 ($23) dealer

Vice block is $55 ($45) dealer

A new upper is anywhere from $75-$100 and then you would need the tools to reinstall the barrel on said upper so you would be down the price of an upper.

shay, if you get stuck on your project.... let me know. I have a good buddy who can do anything you want to an AR15. Ill have him do it for you for free.

I decided that I'm just going to save my money and get a free float rail system that doesn't need the removal of the barrel nut.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYshooter338$</div><div class="ubbcode-body">shay, if you get stuck on your project.... let me know. I have a good buddy who can do anything you want to an AR15. Ill have him do it for you for free.

</div></div>

Thanks KY, I'll think about what I want to do, if I want a rail system that uses the barrel nut or one that needs it removed, and I'll get back to you on that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you dont have the money for the tools or a smith why do you own the AR15. Pony up the cash and buy the tools they can be had in the $40 range for a Panther block and old type nut wrench.

on the up side maybe there is a hider near you that can help you out. you might also ask around on the HTF for ARFCOM </div></div>

So you bash on him for not having the tools, then your price quote is way off? Big difference from $40 to $68 plus shipping to him.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _Shay_ ©</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I decided that I'm just going to save my money and get a free float rail system that doesn't need the removal of the barrel nut.

</div></div>

Let me know length. Our shop down here has some gently used ones and I bet I can get you one from another source for next to nothing.

PM me and tell me what your looking for. I'll help you out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYshooter338$</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _Shay_ ©</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I decided that I'm just going to save my money and get a free float rail system that doesn't need the removal of the barrel nut.

</div></div>

<span style="color: #006600">Let me know length. Our shop down here has some gently used ones and I bet I can get you one from another source for next to nothing.

PM me and tell me what your looking for. I'll help you out.</span> </div></div>

And that's the way shit works around here!! Good job!

Shay,

Send it to me and I will do whatever work your looking to get done free of charge and I will try to get it back in the mail same day.

I have most barrel nut wrenches from standard, DPMS, Superior Weapon Systems, Daniel Defense and others plus barrel bushings made for AR barrels.

Let me know if your interested.

Mark

And Ill stand over Mark and make sure he does it!!! I went to visit him Shay, he takes his work VERY seriously. Hell of a smith might I add.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYshooter338$</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And Ill stand over Mark and make sure he does it!!! I went to visit him Shay, he takes his work VERY seriously. Hell of a smith might I add. </div></div>

If I didn't do a good job I know KYshooter338$ has just about any weapon combination to take me out at any distance.......so I will do a good job
eek.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYshooter338$</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you dont have the money for the tools or a smith why do you own the AR15. Pony up the cash and buy the tools they can be had in the $40 range for a Panther block and old type nut wrench.

<span style="color: #000099">on the up side maybe there is a hider near you that can help you out</span>. you might also ask around on the HTF for ARFCOM </div></div>

So you bash on him for not having the tools, then your price quote is way off? Big difference from $40 to $68 plus shipping to him. </div></div>

LOL bash? it looks like I was pointing him in the right direction. The only thing to be accomplished by trying to remove a barrel without the tools is ending up with a new upper or dicking up some parts. Hell if $28 is not that big of a difference in the AR market. Most decent grips cost that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poke</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYshooter338$</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you dont have the money for the tools or a smith why do you own the AR15. Pony up the cash and buy the tools they can be had in the $40 range for a Panther block and old type nut wrench.

<span style="color: #000099">on the up side maybe there is a hider near you that can help you out</span>. you might also ask around on the HTF for ARFCOM </div></div>

So you bash on him for not having the tools, then your price quote is way off? Big difference from $40 to $68 plus shipping to him. </div></div>

LOL bash? it looks like I was pointing him in the right direction. The only thing to be accomplished by trying to remove a barrel without the tools is ending up with a new upper or dicking up some parts. Hell if $28 is not that big of a difference in the AR market. Most decent grips cost that. </div></div>

He is working on a budget. I am helping him get his issue resolved.

i think he got some guards that dont require the removal of the barrel nut