• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing removing paint from a scope

xxjbj

Private
Minuteman
Jan 5, 2008
starkville ms USA
I recently acquired a very nice swarovski 4-12x50 habicht. unfortunately the previous owner had rattle canned it. any suggestion as to how to remove the paint without damaging the scope's original finish or the lenses? any input will be greatly apreciated.

Re: removing paint from a scope

I used acetone on a rag to take all the krylon off of a nightforce that I picked up cheap because it had been painted.
No ill effects whatsoever.

I talked to Leupold and they recommended acetone. They said that is what they use at the factory to clean the lenses and it will not damage any of the finish or coatings on the lenses.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: huntersedge89</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I talked to Leupold and they recommended acetone. They said that is what they use at the factory to clean the lenses and it will not damage any of the finish or coatings on the lenses. </div></div>

Good to know. Thanks for sharing

My wife used to work for Leupold, and I can confirm they use Acetone for cleaning pretty much everything, her job was assembly on VxII and VxIII and Mk4. She had to clean the lenses before they went together.

BTW keep simple green away from rifle scopes.. Stuff is wicked bad for the anodizing, coating, etc...

Dave

I used Jasco(?) brush cleaner and a rag.

I had a SWFA SS that had been sprayed flat black. Stuffed paper towels in the ends, covered them with tape and sprayed it down with CLP Powder Blast. Few wipes with a paper towel and she looked like new.

+1 on Acetone, it works great on any stuff that has been Krylon'd.

I find Mineral Spirits are far safer, and less agressive, than Acetone, and takes off a Krylon job in a heartbeat.

I used fine steel wool with no chemicals on my Leupold. Worked like a charm!

acetone on blue shop towels is taking forever, hard to get in the nooks and crannies around turrets.