• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes removing paint from NF

acts238

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 2, 2011
N W Montana
whats best way to remove paint from a scope thats been on it a while , just bought a painted NF & I really would like to remove it if I can do so w-out damage to optics, thanks in advance for any responces -I dont know what kind of paint - 3 color camo

Re: removing paint from NF

I have no idea, but I will say this... any answer I get from "Internet forum" guys, I would double-check that solvent with Nightforce themselves before actually using.

There is "Krud remover" or something along those lines sold at walmart, thats what I used. It's near the spray paint, they have many other opinions too

I would try Rubbing Alcohol first on the lower end of the tube or saddle for a test spot. If its Krylon or like most of the time it will come off with simple rubbing alcohol. After that it can get ugly.

I used mineral spirits to remove Krylon from a matte finish Leupold a while back.

There was a thread on here a while back about someone having theres sand blasted....

......it certainly removed the paint.

But seriously dont do it.

Lacquer thinner on a rag will work fine (assuming it's not an epoxy paint--if it is, you will have trouble), and will not harm the finish. Depending on the thickness of the paint, you might have to scrub a while and use several rags, but it will come off. Wear some gloves.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: magnum_99</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lacquer thinner on a rag will work fine (assuming it's not an epoxy paint--if it is, you will have trouble), and will not harm the finish. Depending on the thickness of the paint, you might have to scrub a while and use several rags, but it will come off. Wear some gloves. </div></div>
+1
I refinished a stock that had a few coats of Krylon. It works best to saturate the rag and wrap it around it for a few minutes, it lifts the paint right off.
SScott

I've read dawn power dissolver removes paint very well and can be bought at walmart. I've used it on everything but scopes.

Does anyone know, will all the easy paint removers remove the black finish on scopes? Why will it remove the paint we put on but not the paint the factory puts on?

first thanks for all the responces , I contacted NF & after a logical disclaimer - they said laquer thinner - it worked great - cant even tell it was ever painted - just rubbed right off, guy said soak a rag & leave it on a while to soften, but I didnt have to , I did drop the rings in a cup of LT while I did the scope & it did soften paint quite a bit, any way thanks to all for your help & exsperience

+1 for citrastrip gel. I used it on a scope I had. It had about 45 layers of krylofneeds on on it. Put a thin layer on and let it set for about 30 minutes then took a rag and wiped it. Worked great.

Acetone is what I use.

Apparently it's what USO recommends to clean their lenses, so if by chance a little got on there it doesn't appear to be likely to do any damage.

Acetone is not going to hurt anodizing, but I would not make the blanket statement that it's OK for all glass coatings. Definitely check with the manufacturer before you go wiping it on your lenses.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Acetone is what I use.

Apparently it's what USO recommends to clean their lenses, so if by chance a little got on there it doesn't appear to be likely to do any damage.

Acetone is not going to hurt anodizing, but I would not make the blanket statement that it's OK for all glass coatings. <span style="font-weight: bold">Definitely check with the manufacturer before you go wiping it on your lenses</span>. </div></div>

+1 to what he said! I have used acetone to remove paint off of a number of scopes. I use a rag with acetone and wrap it around the scope and scrub it off. Mind you, the rag ain't sopping wet, but good-n-damp. Works like a charm and with today's anodized finishes, you can't tell they were ever painted.