• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Removing Paint from Return Stocks

Re: Removing Paint from Return Stocks

I don't. I leave it alone so it looks more authentic.

ACETONE! But I would leave the paint on and keep it the way it came back. Like I am doing..

DO NOT use MEK!!!
eek.gif

Especially on the old smear pattern stocks. It will dry out that stock and ruin the old gel-coat making it brittle. Acetone with some elbow grease and time will probably be the safest route but I have used laquer thinner with decent results. I rubbed wax on it to help seal it.

P9210036.JPG

Anybody know if acetone works on dipped fibreglass stocks?

Does acetone affect the original gel coat?

Thanks in advance

I don't know, but it does dissolve the resin in its uncured state, so I'm guessing it will have at least some effect afterward.

Acetone will dissolve the gel coat if you leave it on there, in liquid form for a while. If you're trying to scrub the paint off and it doesn't sit for a while you'll be OK with it.

Personally I like the way those "return" stocks look as is. Much more character to it. I don't care if my rifle looks "used" I care if it shoots "used". The miltary dings and bumps on the furniture make it that much better to me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Personally I like the way those "return" stocks look as is. Much more character to it. I don't care if my rifle looks "used" I care if it shoots "used". The miltary dings and bumps on the furniture make it that much better to me. </div></div>

+1 I wanted the "used" look on my build. It took me forever to find a "correct" beat up old sling to put on it. I could'nt bring myself to remove the paint and the history that goes with it. Now what happens in the future in one of my drunken stoopers is another story...
laugh.gif

I used good old paint thinner on mine. Just didn't leave it on the fiberglass long....

Thanks guys...this is for a stock I've ordered. MAde a quick call for it to be multicam dipped.....just trying to cover my bases in case it doesn't look as good as the forest cam underneath!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sgcop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How are you guy removing paint from the Mcmilian return stocks? </div></div>

Ask Mcmillan. They know the most about their stocks.