• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Removing tarnish on bullets

ShtrRdy

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Sep 17, 2011
    High Plains
    I have a bunch of bullets I haven't used for a long while and they have a tarnished look to them. What's a good way to remove the tarnish from them?

I've never tried it but I assume using a dry tumbler would polish it off. Is there any reason to just not shoot em tarnished?

I bought about 2K 178gr Amax about 5yrs ago. And to make a long story short, when I started loading for the 308's again, low and behold, the bullets were tarnished just as yours. I simply take a hundred when I'm ready to load and throw in the ol trusty Tumbles Tumbler (Corn Cob & a little Dillion Polish) for a couple of hrs and they come out looking bran new. Doesn't affect the poly tip or anything.

Just a guess? Are these Hornady's? I have never seen bullets from any other manufacturer when a sealed or taped box is opened, to have tarnish, but sometimes Hornady's will. And, (happily) it don't hurt a damned thing, I wouldn't worry about it. BB