• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Report: Army Staff ‘Baffled’ by Sharp Decline in White Recruits in Last Five Years

PatMiles

Private
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2017

..." it said the drop in white recruitment has “baffled Army staff and isn’t easily explained by any one particular factor.”

Aside for the obvious reasons given in the comments section of the article, a potential recruit will read the above statement and have to wonder why they would want to enlist in an organization who's upper echelon leaders are either that stoopid or just bald faced liars!

It is in the article: “There’s a level of prestige in parts of conservative America with service that has degraded,” one Army official told Military.com. “Now, you can say you don’t want to join, for whatever reason, or bad-mouth the service without any cultural guilt associated for the first time in those areas.”

Army recruits often come from "flyover country", "red states", whatever. Who did the military say they did not want?

Article misses the biggest point - white males dominate the demographics of combat arms. What does that say about the US ability to staff its combat units?

No wonder the Army National Guard is now on Active Duty every few years.

There's no "patriotic" reason to join anymore.

We left Iraq and ISIS promptly took over
We left Afghanistan and gave all our shit to the Taliban.

I joined because it's family tradition.
2010-2016 Army @ Ft. Hood. Here's my list :

Cons:
Why join an organization that treats you like a child until you make the top 10% of rank?
Shitty pay
10-12hr days
Working weekend/s with no day off replaced
Dining facility food is crap with weird hours
Non-existent base transportation
Barracks 2 miles from place of duty so you gotta buy a car instantly
Unloading connexes just so the LT can see stuff for a second, and then put everything back
Sitting in the parking lot for 3 hours just to get released at 7pm with no further instructions put out

Pros:
Lots of 3-4 day weekends on federal holidays
30 days of leave(is a bitch to schedule outside of holidays tho)
Great life experience/friends
Deployments
Free ammo at the ranges :)
Get to shoot machine guns
Makes kids grow up quick
"Camping trips" (field exercises/JRTC/NTC)

Reactions: gigamortis
They are baffled but I'm not. Saw similar circumstances in the 70's. Half of my Army BCT platoon were white country boys and half were intercity minorities. Carter was President. Dems were in charge. It was miserable. Things got better when Reagan came along and made the military a priority again.