• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reputable Names for innovative BCG's, Firing pins, Buffer Springs, and Gas Systems (2022-2023)

LilGucci

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 7, 2019
I made this thread in 2019 and now as we’re nearing the end of 2022, I wanted to ask it again to see if things have changed.

Link to previous thread: https://www.snipershide.com/shootin...-pins-buffer-springs-and-gas-systems.6967422/

I was wondering if you guys could list off your top 3 manufacturers for each of the following four areas so that I can expand my parts list beyond just JP:

• 1.) Bolt Carrier Groups
  • 2.) Firing Pins
  • 3.) Buffer Springs
  • 4.) Gas Systems
I'm looking for innovative parts, maybe it's made a certain way or coated in a certain coating that you feel makes their offerings superior to much of the rest of the market.

My priorities are:

• Reliability,
  • Durability,
  • Weight,
  • Innovation,
  • Value
(In that order)

RCA and JP are tops for me.
You're prioritizing weight, does that mean light weight or heavy weight?

Reactions: BurtG
RCA and JP are tops for me.
You're prioritizing weight, does that mean light weight or heavy weight?
You're right, I hadn't thought that. Scratch weight than, since heavy or variable mass buffers and bcg's have their uses.

Surefire obc
LMT enhanced
JP

I tend to use JP full mass with my "precision" oriented builds that also have proof barrels. Beyond that I'm picking something else.

Last edited:
Reactions: LilGucci
Being that my first 2 listed options are basically impossible to get...

NP3 coated or just phosphate sionics/fcd.

Phosphate from trajectory arms or Bexar arms.

The qc on the sionics is extensive.

Trajectory and Bexar gauge every bcg they sell before it passes qc.

All the above options also have ocks gas key screws.

Seriously ?

Toolcraft because I don't care about the name brand that costs 2x just for the name or some cheesy gimmick.
I choose bolts that work, nothing more, nothing less.

Yea, I've bought the fancy shit before.....strange how I don't own any of the fancy shit now, but every one of my guns will run all day long.

Seriously ?

Toolcraft because I don't care about the name brand that costs 2x just for the name or some cheesy gimmick.
I choose bolts that work, nothing more, nothing less.

Yea, I've bought the fancy shit before.....strange how I don't own any of the fancy shit now, but every one of my guns will run all day long.
agreed

Hendersons thread on arfcom should be required reading

LMT enhanced bolt in anything.

LMT enhanced BCG
Scionics NP3
Rubber City Armory
Microbest
Toolcraft
BCM
JP

For my ARs I’ve had zero issues with the ToolCraft DLC coated BCGs and the Young Manufacturing chrome BCGs.

For gas systems it’s hard to beat the JP SCS setups. And SLR or Superlative Arms adjustable gas blocks

Toolcraft and JP bolts/BCGs have been great for me.

I’ve mostly used Seekins adjustable gas blocks, which have been great, but recently picked up some Riflespeed gas blocks that have really impressed me with their design and simplicity, easy adjustments without set screws and great for recessed gas blocks.

Toolcraft and JP bolts/BCGs have been great for me.

I’ve mostly used Seekins adjustable gas blocks, which have been great, but recently picked up some Riflespeed gas blocks that have really impressed me with their design and simplicity, easy adjustments without set screws and great for recessed gas blocks.

Compared to your jp how much gas leak are you seeing from the adjustment screw on the rifle speed?

You might want to check out school of the American rifle on YouTube. He does autopsy videos for many brands of BCGs and from my recollections, LMT, KAC, Sionics(FCG) are the best ones (maybe missing a few names)

RedX is a name worth knowing if you're going to touch 7.62x39, 6.5 Grendel, or 6mm ARC in an AR platform. The enhanced firing pin and spring set is nearly a requirement for 7.62x39, and the extractors they make are considerably more reliable/durable than the standard nitrided extractors for the above calibers which tend to fail after about the 1000rd mark because of the stress on the extractor claw and the small amount of material there.

You might want to check out school of the American rifle on YouTube. He does autopsy videos for many brands of BCGs and from my recollections, LMT, KAC, Sionics(FCG) are the best ones (maybe missing a few names)
Doesn’t matter if LMT can’t properly QC anything. There’s broken extractors on Facebook from improper heat treat, you know the proprietary lobster tail ones that they haven’t sold separately in 2-3 years.

Sionics carrier w/LMT bolt. Sprinco "blue" for buffer spring w/ H or H2.
sio02.jpg

sio01.jpg

I also like and run RCA & JP, but I replace the JP gas ring for 3 pc.

2 not yet mentioned:

Sharps XPB in both Std. & Low mass.
The Sharps are made from S7 tool steel and DLC (my top pic for coatings). I’ve got 5 of them never an issue. Sharps now offers different bolts, but sadly no Grendel type 2. They told me it’ll be available soon. They also now offer an adjustable gas key.

LWRC DI BCG’s are machined with integral gas key.
4C80A2E7-279B-48F8-8A20-D4086BDB5A49.jpeg

In my Valkyrie I’m running a Sharps Low mass carrier with the LWRC bolt (the best IMO 6.8 bolt).

Nothing wrong with tool craft, but I have had issues with 1 of the 2 I’m running. Their CS is excellent.

Below pictured is a toolcraft .422 from my 6.8 SPC next to the LWRC .422 bolt from my Valkyrie.
You can see that the LWRC extractor is wider & gets more purchase on the case head. The real trick is that they did that without undercutting the 2 lugs adjacent to the extractor. Not sure if LMT is the same, but this is a pretty big deal for lug strength.
Also look at bolt face. Full case head contact for the LWRC & reduced support for the traditional extractor cut on the Toolcraft.

A5B32E04-319F-4CD3-947D-69B1D2600998.jpeg
6E4D9F04-5810-4F17-B8A8-9D413AABEA7E.jpeg
29ACD326-B58B-45C2-9538-38DA0EB17AD4.jpeg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:
I'm sold on the black river tactical gas tubes for taming a gassy barrel.

centurion arms rated high as well

I love JP stuff, run them in several builds.

Qualifying statement out of the way, I would caution the use of an SCS in a hard use/dedicated suppressed setup. I've had the screw holding the SCS together back out slightly under high heat/round count strings. This made it ALMOST impossible to get the receiver apart to figure out why my carrier started short stroking suddenly. I still love them, but realize different tools for different missions.

YMMV

Lantac BCG's and bolts w/ cam pins.
JP BCG's and bolts.
LMT BCG's and bolts.
Sharps BCG's and bolts.
LWRC BCG's and bolts.
Anything V Seven. (I've run the piss out of a majority of their products in a duty function/setting and not had an issue yet. Keep in mind here, sample size of 1.)

This is my short list.

Another mention for the RCA Ti BCG's with POF roller cam pin purchased separately. RCA used to offer these pre-installed but cannot any longer. Been using a JP bolt but not really noticing any improvements over the RCA bolt.

Edit. Riflespeed gas blocks. Love them over Superlative Arms and JP just for their ease of adjustment. SA's tend to carbon lock despite their marketing hype. They do work and offer a very fine adjustment range however so easy to dial in. But if you switch gas settings often for subs/supers or different loads, getting to the adjustment with a long Allen wrench is a pain.

I actually haven't shot it yet but the level of adjustability with various pistons that they offer leads me to believe I won't have any issues. The click detents are very obvious and tactile and the numerals are large enough that I have no problem reading the digits. I can't see a watch face up close but no problem with the Riflespeed. Easy to get my fingers in there and adjust.

The only downside I see is if the available adjustment collar lengths don't gel with your hand guard length. I had to spend a not insignificant amount of money to run the Riflespeed and match the old setup with the same basic components, namely the Smoke carbon hand guard.