• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Required MOA for 1000 yds

Sixty2

Private
Minuteman
Aug 26, 2014
White Plains, NY
First post, first stupid question.
What is the required MOA to be effective at 1000 yards for a 308/18in. I'm assuming <1MOA would be within a 10 inch radius @ 1000 yards in ideal conditions..?
Can I assume that anything less than 0.8MOA is considered good, or would that be excellent..? And should I be driving for 0.5MOA or am I dreaming?

Are you playing around or competing? If you are just playing around and banging steel it depends on how big your target is and how well you can read the elements. Keep in mind your velocity is going to suffer due to your shorty rig; ie; If you are shooting the heavier bullets in 185gr. +,- don't expect anything in the 2500fps unless you are in max. pressures. Down to 155gr. you may get in the 2600's if you'r lucky. This means subsonic before arriving @ 1k. on either kind of bullet. Elapse time in flight allows for more wind influence, added with slower velocities and, well, you get the picture! Good luck! I know there are a lot of shorty shooters on the hide and they like their rigs, I do too, but facts are facts and 1000yds is along way.

I apologize for maybe not directly answering you question RE: required moa for 1k shooting. Only matters if competing, so, if your rig wont hold .5 moa at 100yds. you will have a hard time with today's batch of shooters because theirs do!! Holding a 1/2 inch at a hundred means squat at 1k, it's a whole nuther ballgame out yonder!

Unfortunately, you're dreaming. The top F-TR shooters on the planet aren't holding 1 MOA at 1000 yd with their .308s using heavy high BC bullets, super finely tuned loads, and 30" (or longer) barrels for high velocity. The 10-ring on the LR F-Class target is 10", which translates to just a tick under 1 MOA. Holding 1 MOA would mean consistent "cleans" for 15 or 20 shot strings, and it simply isn't happening. To date, there have only been a couple cleans recorded in F-TR at 1000 yd. For a custom .308 bolt gun with an 18" barrel and a finely tuned load, I'd say you'd be lucky to consistently see 2.0-2.5 MOA at that distance for 15-20 shot strings, particularly if there is much wind. You might get lucky and shoot a 5-shot group here and there under nearly ideal conditions that was close to 1 MOA, but it would likely not be the norm. With that type of setup, I'd probably be pretty happy if I could consistently ring a 2' steel plate.

I apologize for maybe not directly answering you question RE: required moa for 1k shooting. Only matters if competing, so, if your rig wont hold .5 moa at 100yds. you will have a hard time with today's batch of shooters because theirs do!! Holding a 1/2 inch at a hundred means squat at 1k, it's a whole nuther ballgame out yonder!

Thanks, your answers were very helpful..! I'm not shooting comp. I understand now that 1/2 @ 100 means nothing at 1k, but i'm assuming that if i'm <0.5MOA@100 I'd be in a much better position at 1k than if I was 1MOA@100. This video clearly shows 1k with 18# https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15qj032UJ1I&

In another question, can you recommend a good quality pre-load 308?

Unfortunately, you're dreaming. The top F-TR shooters on the planet aren't holding 1 MOA at 1000 yd with their .308s using heavy high BC bullets, super finely tuned loads, and 30" (or longer) barrels for high velocity. The 10-ring on the LR F-Class target is 10", which translates to just a tick under 1 MOA. Holding 1 MOA would mean consistent "cleans" for 15 or 20 shot strings, and it simply isn't happening. To date, there have only been a couple cleans recorded in F-TR at 1000 yd. For a custom .308 bolt gun with an 18" barrel and a finely tuned load, I'd say you'd be lucky to consistently see 2.0-2.5 MOA at that distance for 15-20 shot strings, particularly if there is much wind. You might get lucky and shoot a 5-shot group here and there under nearly ideal conditions that was close to 1 MOA, but it would likely not be the norm. With that type of setup, I'd probably be pretty happy if I could consistently ring a 2' steel plate.

Thanks. what are "cleans"..? At this point of my career, 2 MOA @ 1k would be fantastic. I would think that hitting a 20# steel at 1k with an 18in would be pretty darn good for a novice.

As I stated in my first reply; playing around, or competing. "hitting steel" and keeping rounds within tight scoring rings are two totally separate things. When I first started shooting F/class I only had a 20" bbl. I used it and learned a lot. Most of what I learned was; If I was going to do anything more than donate to the prize table I had better get me a longer stick. Sure, I stayed on paper and lucked out a ten every now and then, but nines and eights just aren't very impressive. Most any center fire cartridge will get you to 1000yds.