• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Riddle me this on two shooters one rifle instruction

mepilot4food

Private
Minuteman
May 7, 2011
everywhere
Hello all,
On a proven Rem700 16" BB with a Leupold Mark 4 Illum TMR M3 pushing 175 gr. SMK. With this rifle a 1 MOA is achievable in short order and it has been doped. The problem here though is I have been teaching someone on it and they consistently shoot 4 mils low. When I get back on the rifle it shoots where I put the sight. I tried to have him adjust his eye to see if it was an issue with parallax but after trying a few other times he still had the same issue.I have not had this issue with other students. Is there something I am not seeing or been exposed to with this one student? How can I fix it so I can talk him onto steel at further ranges. I stopped him at 300 yds as I didn't want to just lob ammo downrange on a whim.
Any help will be used.
thanks

Wow, 4 mils is crazy variance. Does he understand the reticle? Maybe using a different hold or intersection on the reticle? I wonder if the ocular focus is so far off for his eye that its out of focus, could be a combination of that and paralax. I just can't wrap my head around that much of a variance.

The reason I submitted for an outside thought, I tried all the tricks and prepped him on the proper and ethical use of the reticle. As you have said as well, cant seem to wrap my head around it.
Thanks for the reply.

Does he wear glasses? My eyesight blows chunks and when I shot a few of my setups, I'm somewhat staring thru the edge of my lens which I know gives minor distortion. I've found while the scope tracks perfectly out to distance, the POI is different for other folk who shoot my rifle without glasses.

4 mils is a lot of difference, but here goes .....

Are both you and he shooting from the same position?

How does his body shape/weight/musculature compare to yours?

Could he be pulling the stock into his shoulder more firmly than you?

You do mean 4 mils and .4 or 4 tenths right ? A decimal point could be the first problem.

Make sure they are seeing a full clear edge to edge sight picture. Shadowing will cause the bullet to impact in the opposite direction of the shadowing.

Is he shooting a good group but 4 mils low or throwing shots all over?

I'm puzzled like the rest of you, seems like a big difference in poi. You would see if he were jerking the trigger or flinching that much. Every once in a while you'll run across that one person who is not able to crasp or perform what is needed to shoot well. I've done several woman on target events and have had only one lady I couldn't get on target. Pretty sure she had an issue with seeing sights clearly. Called over the lead instructor and had him work with her, he didn't have any success either. Told me after not to worry about it, some people are just not ment to shoot.
What were his groups like?

While this sounds elementary, dumb, whatever--ask him to draw on a plain piece of paper what his reticle looks like on target when he shoots. You would be surprised some times what people actually "see" even after you explain things to them.

Having seen some seriously odd variations of iron sight or scoped sight pictures that some have developed, I actually drew to scale what a proper sight picture looks like when my kids first started. That way they knew what they were supposed to "see".

Since I don't know what reticle you have, my guess is he's using the top dot or line if equipped. Which means he's doing what he knows and that's reading left to right, top to bottom.