• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle fell over, what to do next?

AgentP

Private
Minuteman
Aug 15, 2013
CT... Not cool.
So, I set my rifle against the wall, stock on the floor barrel on the wall. I turned away, and heard the sliding and then the crash. I know it wasn't a big long fall, but what would be the best thing to do if....

Let's say I when I get out to the range, zero hasn't changed or it's off a little or it's off a ton? Hopefully zero hasn't changed and I can go on shooting. If it's off a little, would you just re-zero and adjust your turrets to read zero again? If it's way off do the same as a little off or take everything off the rifle and start over.
Rifle is Rem 700, Bushnell DMR, seekins rings, all torqued and locktighted when mounted. Gonna try and get to the range tomorrow. Thanks guys

You've gotta be kidding right? Use a little common sense man. Either it shifted zero or it didn't. If I didn't don't rezero, if it did rezero. Simple as that, not sure what this thread was supposed to accomplish but it makes you look like somebody who can't think on your own.

Edit, just realized this is under the stupid marksmanship section... Here's your sign.

Last edited:
Ummm just go shoot it. Most rifles and optics are built like tanks for a reason. As long as you are not running a tasco or barska optic with paper thin mounts there should be no issues.

You've gotta be kidding right? Use a little common sense man. Either it shifted zero or it didn't. If I didn't don't rezero, if it did rezero. Simple as that, not sure what this thread was supposed to accomplish but it makes you look like somebody who can't think on your own.

Edit, just realized this is under the stupid marksmanship section... Here's your sign.

Yup, that's why I put it in here.

I just wanted to see what some others with more experience would suggest. I'm sure it's fine, but what the hell I'd rather ask even if it makes me look like an ass.

I have used my HDMR like an AR carry handle on my 12lb bolt gun many times and banged it off of crap getting into firing positions.... Pretty sure if i ran out of ammo, i could beat someone to death with it and it would hold zero. And according to Marcus Luttrell, you can throw your rifle off a mountain 2-3 times and still kill bad guys...so you should be good to go.

I always use my USO's as carry handles. Then throw them in the back of the mini truck and haul ass down the bumpy dirt strip that goes back to the range. I'm sure it gets bounced around pretty good back there. If it shifted zero that easy I wouldn't want it.

Do yourself a favor and drop that rifle on the ground, slam it into a few plywood barricades, and wear the finish off the bolt handle. That's what these things are for.

So, I set my rifle against the wall, stock on the floor barrel on the wall. I turned away, and heard the sliding and then the crash. I know it wasn't a big long fall, but what would be the best thing to do if....

Human beings learn in only 2 ways: experience and instruction. And some don't learn from instruction.

Don't lean your gun against a wall.

And don't buy shit gear that breaks easily.

I had my new rifle at the range and was following the instructions and while I had it pointed down range, I pulled on the curved part on the bottom AND A PROJECTILE launched itself down the barrel! I don't know what to do now...I wanted to keep this in pristine condition...I never should have taken it out of the box and plastic packaging, but I was just so excited. I was seeing how the magazine and loading mechanism worked...I never meant to shoot the thing! What do I do now? How to do I remove the evidence of this being fired? Damn it... :p

I saw a video of lowlight blowing up a 308 with a Bushnell on it with tannerite. And beat a fence pole with it like a baseball bat. It held zero.

I had my new rifle at the range and was following the instructions and while I had it pointed down range, I pulled on the curved part on the bottom AND A PROJECTILE launched itself down the barrel! I don't know what to do now...I wanted to keep this in pristine condition...I never should have taken it out of the box and plastic packaging, but I was just so excited. I was seeing how the magazine and loading mechanism worked...I never meant to shoot the thing! What do I do now? How to do I remove the evidence of this being fired? Damn it... :p

Lol

I would retorque everything and then shoot it as is, without any sight adjustments.

Assuming the zero hasn't shifted by more than a MOA or so, I would do nothing further.

If otherwise, it could pay to seriously assess where that POI shift originates.

Odds are is originates with a bent scope tube. Bad juju.

Some will shudder, and I right along with them; but my next step (and I have done it) would be to try and restraighten that scope tube.

Yeah, I know that's drastic, but so was the cause, and it's unlikely (IMHO) that it's going to be covered under warrantee. In my case, this resolved the problem well enough to restore full functionality. IMHO it beats having a scope that's nothing but a useless piece of junk.

If I'm wrong abut this, then I'm wrong; but I have been there, and this "worked".

Greg

Last edited:
I can't even begin to tell you how many times my dog has bumped into my rifles and knocked them over. I have had zero issues with zero.

Disregard the criticism. Its no big deal, weapons fall over all the time.

Its not near the shock to the scope or mounts, that the recoil of firing subjects it to.

I'd like to see that! (Unless your sarcasm right over my head!)

Google Lowlight Bushnell 3-12x review.

After the rifle it was on got semi-blowed up with tannerite the zero was off IIRC, but after a few rounds it "settled in".

The rifle and scope are ruined. Sorry man. I am however in the position to help you get some money back. Since the rifle and scope are basically scrap I will pay today's scrap iron price per pound plus $10 dollars for shipping. I'll send a certified check monday . haha

Beat me to it!

You be postin' from Nigeria, Mon? I see dat an' up de ante by $5.

I'll bid 20 more, cause I'm "such a nice guy". Got a NICE new fishing reel, a while ago. My son picked it up to look it over, and dropped it on the concrete floor, Seems to happen to "new stuff" all the time. At least it's got it's first scratch out of the way.

I would confirm zero and a quick tracking check (dial up a bit and see if the bullet impacts the right amount above the point of aim).

I was screwing around with off hand practice and the dang 18 lb rifle slipped from my hands and hit the concrete - came down right on the edge of the USO Erek.

Went to shoot and the zero was off about 1.5 inches at 100 yards. Pretty bad ass if you ask me.

Rifle fell over, what to do next?

Drop to the deck......give me 40.......now, DON'T DROP IT AGAIN!.....Get out of my sight!..NOW!!

I would send the rifle and 500 rounds of ammo to me for thorough testing. At that point you may or may not get it back, depends on if I can confirm it is safe for you to shoot.

Honestly, its been hashed out here, if you are afraid that it fell over you might want to reassess your equipment choices.

Step 1: pick the rifle back up.

I'm glad I was able to help. That was a tough one...lol. Just kidding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HaHaHaHA!! my scope has bent turrets, and my muzzle brake and barrel are scraped up from being dragged through rocks... still sub minute rifle....#safesqueensareforpussies

You guys are awesome. The ball busting is well deserved. Confirmed at my range this past Friday, it was fine. Went to VT this weekend with some buddies. Had a freakin blast. Took my farthest shots ever, 800 yds. Scope, rifle, ammo did great. I'm still learning the wind. I'm getting it....slowly. Thanks for the bashing and the tips and the videos!

Reactions: bobby1954
You are welcome, come back anytime you need a swift kick to the buddies. We will be waiting.

Don't think there is anything wrong with your post. I just put a brand new Nightforce F1 on my rifle. The first time it falls over and gets all dinged up, I'm not going to be happy about it. I guarantee you most of the guys that told you what a wuss you were for posting this, would cuss up a storm when their GAP rifle with the Schmidt & Bender hits the deck. Don't believe them.