• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle for the wife unit Seekins or Bergara

MachoKing

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2017
Alright. I think we've narrowed down our rifle search to two rifles. The Bergara Premier Highlander and the Seekins PH2. We've already decided on 6.5PRC for the chambering. I have been able to handle and play with some Bergara Premier offerings and I really like them. I have not been able to play with the Seekins.

UPDATE: Needs to be 7.5lbs or less bare.

Update to the update: Wife likes the Browning X Bolt Hells Canyon Speed and the X Bolt Pro.

Last edited:
Ive handled the Seekins and used the Bergara before. I lean towards Bergara for "feel". The Seekins I felt was really rough and bindy, but it was a very early model so im not sure if theyre normally that way. The Bergara action is nice, and performance should be similair between the two. Best way to tell is to find em at a shop somewhere and feel em out!

Last edited:
Yeah I handled the HMR Pro at Sportsmans and I really liked the action. I'm looking at a Highlander, though and I want to feel the stock.

I handled a couple of Bergara B-14 rifles this afternoon and have to say they ooze quality for a factory rifle compared to others I have laid hands on.
If the prices would have been a little more realistic I may have went home with one otherwise I foresee another Atlas action being built upon.
Same goes for the two Tikka T3 rifl3s I looked at, i made no effort to haggle for any of them just wasn't in the mood.

What's the lead time for the ph2 compared to the highlander? I have never handled a seekins, but my HMR pro brings a smile to my face every time I shoot it. Extremely consistent

Here's one thing I like about the Highlander over the PH2. Internal box magazine.

Is it for you or for her?
Has she at least handled both?
Shooting both would be better.
What is her thoughts?
I personally don't pick my wife's guns she's pretty opinionated on that subject.
I'm happy she shoots we need more women to get involved as possible.

Reactions: Sticks
Is it for you or for her?
Has she at least handled both?
Shooting both would be better.
What is her thoughts?
I personally don't pick my wife's guns she's pretty opinionated on that subject.
I'm happy she shoots we need more women to get involved as possible.
She's handled the Bergara and really liked it. She also handled a Browning but I said eff no.

Reactions: SonicBurlap
Ive had a Bergara and a Browning xbolt. I’d take the browning. The Bergara was underwhelming. I’d take a Tikka over either of them. They will all shoot well, just comes down to personal preference. Her getting the one she likes and wants to shoot is the important thing.

Reactions: bgavin
The seekins seem like an excellent value. I take internal mag when an option for weight, but with their carbon fiber magazine I think that's a moot point. Easier to teach someone how to quickly load or unload with the DBM too. I also prefer the seekins stock (carbon fiber vs the fiberglass grayboe). They seem pretty nice on their own. Looks like the seekins comes in a bit lighter, is imagine the stock has something to do with that.

If seekins has a factory configuration you like and you time it with a sale (they had 10% for Black Friday I believe) I think you'd have a hard time going wrong. Extensive thread on the seekins here, I'd start there and see if the accuracy and comments fit what you're after.

Another option would be to piece together a rifle yourself. In that price point you could build something of similar quality with a big Horn Origin (or similar) and a prefit. Would let her pick the stock, barrel profile, DBM vs BDL, etc she wants to get something that fits and shoots very well. Figure starting at $1700 or so depending on components.

Last edited:
Both are great options, just to throw another thing your way though, have you considered the Badrock Southfork with its Defiance action?

Reactions: Defiance Machine
I have a seekins PH1 6 creed and it’s a hammer. I also have a tikka CTR 6.5 and Barrett FieldCraft 6.5. All three are .5MOA out of the box with the correct ammo.... it depends on what the application is. For hunting from truck or blind the CTR for the price is really hard to beat. If hiking more than a mile the Barrett Fieldcraft is an easy choice. By far the best lightweight rig for hunting out of the box. The Seekins does both applications really well.

for banging steel I’d go CTR with a bravo stock and have an awesome gun that is cheap and super adjustable.

Reactions: nrspence
you still have not bought her a rifle yet , man you are just dragging your feet . lol have you looked at the newer mossbergs ? Buy her a gun soon you know you want to .

Several of the guys I shoot with have the Bergara rifle. They all seem to like them and they shoot well. I agree with above posts, it really is what feels good to your wife. If you buy what you think she should have you'll be buying another one soon. Don't ask how I know this.;)

Reactions: SonicBurlap
I have a seekins PH1 in 6 creed, flat out shoots. The PH2 is listed at $1,995 or something like that, the action alone sells for $1,200. Easy rebarrels too if you ever shoot it out. I'm most likely going to pick up another one here soon.

Reactions: Gobears16
Between those two, the Seekins is in a whole different league.
I would definitely place the Seekins ahead of any of the Bergaras.

We have seen any roughness in Seekins actions totally go away once shot and cycled.

./

Reactions: stello1001
Tikka CTR in Bravo Stock would be my choice if I didnt have to choose between those two though. Otherwise, I think the HMR or HMR Pro has my vote. By the time I look at Seekins, i'm pretty much going to just get a custom at that point.

Reactions: Gobears16
Tikka CTR in Bravo Stock would be my choice if I didnt have to choose between those two though. Otherwise, I think the HMR or HMR Pro has my vote. By the time I look at Seekins, i'm pretty much going to just get a custom at that point.
The Bergara Premier is just as "custom" as the Seekins.

Is this for hunting? PRS? Just recreational shooting?

Seekin's is still relatively small, and the customer service is great. They stand behind their stuff.

I shot a PH2 in 300PRC last weekend, it was a tad lighter than my PH1 and the bolt felt a tad smoother as well. Stock was comfortable for me. I hear ya though, its tough to make the call if you can't get hands on both.

I shot a PH2 in 300PRC last weekend, it was a tad lighter than my PH1 and the bolt felt a tad smoother as well. Stock was comfortable for me. I hear ya though, its tough to make the call if you can't get hands on both.
Yeah I wish a local gun store had one. I live in the same state but Seekins is wayyyyyyy north.

Seekins is a step up from the bergara, imho.
The fierce fury rifles are also a great choice in the same price range

Yeah I wish a local gun store had one. I live in the same state but Seekins is wayyyyyyy north.

Cabela's was stocking the seekins for a while. I don't see it on the website anymore but my local store still has a few (Colorado). If you have one semi local, might be worth the drive.

I might be getting overruled on this. The wife really likes the Browning Hells Canyon Speed and the X Bolt Pro. Is the Pro really a $799 upgrade to the HCS?