• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Rifle Painting Tutorial

Re: Rifle Painting Tutorial

My Rem700 I used Rustoleum rattle cans on.

IMG_20121224_103052_zps1ef17b57.jpg

1st paint job I have done on any of my rifles, also 1st post here on the hide. Thought it came out pretty well. The rifle is a FNH SPR A1a .308 with the Bushnell HDMR H59 in Badger rings. I used Rustoleum camo spray paint, natural veg and some store-bought stencils

IMG_0731_zps28e8696e.jpg

IMG_0743_zps78c5dbf3.jpg

IMG_0745_zps35aaa8cc.jpg

IMG_0747_zpsa2d6219e.jpg

IMG_0749_zpsacdca7c8.jpg

IMG_0758_zps7774e302.jpg

IMG_0767_zpsc02cd490.jpg

IMG_0768_zps3d4ab0c8.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ARay14</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1st paint job I have done on any of my rifles, also 1st post here on the hide. Thought it came out pretty well. The rifle is a FNH SPR A1a .308 with the Bushnell HDMR H59 in Badger rings. I used Rustoleum camo spray paint, natural veg and some store-bought stencils

IMG_0731_zps28e8696e.jpg

IMG_0743_zps78c5dbf3.jpg

IMG_0745_zps35aaa8cc.jpg

IMG_0747_zpsa2d6219e.jpg

IMG_0749_zpsacdca7c8.jpg

IMG_0758_zps7774e302.jpg

IMG_0767_zpsc02cd490.jpg

IMG_0768_zps3d4ab0c8.jpg
</div></div>

Thats one hell of a camo. It looks so good.

Here in Australia we arent allowed AR15's so we've taken to pimping remington 7600 pumps (pretty much same as rem 870 shotgun but in either 308 or 30-06). Here's my recent camo job in Krylon

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Good lookin' paint jobs. For the guys who are worried about paint their high dollar equipment, don't sweat it. You can use Kleen Strip, it'll take the spray paint off and won't harm your equipment. I've also used Goof Off.

Here in Australia we arent allowed AR15's so we've taken to pimping remington 7600 pumps (pretty much same as rem 870 shotgun but in either 308 or 30-06). Here's my recent camo job in Krylon

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Very cool.

Last edited:
I notice a lot of patterns that look like paint was applied through a net of some sort. I've used spider net before,what are some of you guys using?

Painted 3.jpgPainted 4.jpg

Duracoat coyote brown tactical as the basecoat. Rustoleum OD and black over that. And scotch...definitely dripped a little scotch on it.

Attachments

• FR8 1.jpg
    FR8 1.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 31
  • FR8stock1.jpg
    FR8stock1.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 35
  • FR8stock2.jpg
    FR8stock2.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
I notice a lot of patterns that look like paint was applied through a net of some sort. I've used spider net before,what are some of you guys using?

I used this - Pro Force Sniper Face Veil Scarf. Ebay for about $20

Just got the burris pepr and vortex pst 1-4 mounted. I highly recommend this glass.

Been a member for a while, my first post. Krylon/Sponge painted 700spsTact 223
DSCF0188_zps03bc11de.jpg

DSCF0192_zps4c18a085.jpg

Wanted a neutral pattern, Ended up looking alot like ACU Digital. Has held up great for last couple of years and no more worrying about rusting like the factory finish was prone to.
I'm thinking I may go back and add some darker blotches at some point

Paint is all Duracoat. I started with a basecoat (I think it's flectern brown) after glass beading the parts. Edit: each part was painted individually in the base coat then assembled before netting. This ensures that the paint layers don't get too thick for the mating parts to function.

GHGpaint001.jpg

Then I picked up some rubberized rug backing at the fabric store. The stuff is just netting with a foam covering. I cut the netting to a rough shape then spray one side of it with some spray glue used for paper mountings. The stuff makes it stick like a post-it note. Press the netting around the contours then use some string to stitch it together where it won't be seen well. Stretching the netting will give you variations in the patterns.

GHGpaint002.jpg

Start over spraying with the desired colors.

GHGpaint003.jpg

As you vary the paint thickness by misting/flood and angle of spray to the netting the paint takes on a life of it's own. As I handle the parts the netting moves in some areas between coats and the paint takes on a life of it's own. After all, it's about breaking up the lines.

Some of my other builds:
Duracoat two color, blue painters tape masking:
GHGpaint006.jpg

Multi layers of paint with pinstriping tape added between layers:

x39paint014.jpg

More rug backing:

camping025.jpg

Last edited: