• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Rifle Painting Tutorial

Re: Rifle Painting Tutorial

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: black6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">just beet the person with your scope cbowles lol </div></div>
haha, yep its a pretty nice scope... but only because it was $70 DOLLARS! Bawlinn... and for a .22LR it works pretty damn good!

Reticle Intensified 4-16x50 5th Generati...des Lens Covers

I don't know why people seem to bash cheaper scopes. this one is pretty awesome and clear even at pitch black night looking at a street light from 500 yards away. It may not be a Leupold or USO, but for the all purpose shooter it should work pretty well in my opinion...

Question for the guys without bipods, how are you getting 360* coverage for your paint? The bipod guys look like they just have it easy, set up and go, but how are you guys without them doing it?

nice painting folks but why no leaf patterns? i been specializing in maple and oak leaf motifs as of late,however i have yet to find a flat paint that matches the nearly orange brown color that would match the dead leaves that completely cover the forest floors here in mo. im using tans browns and greens with some limited black, but im thinking about venturing into less conventional colors to mimic autumn leaf palette. any advice?

Echo5 Sierra: Sorry for the delay, I hadn't checked this thread in a while. Its a Mc Cann MIRS mount that we installed to mount the PVS-22's. My outfit bought them and had them installed, but if you google McCann scope mounts you will find their website with all kinds of stuff.

I also just painted my AR, will post pics here soon.

marduk185: originally I was going to use leaves etc. and if you look closely near the buttstock of my .308 above I had a fern pattern using the ferns shown on the table, but grass was easiest and most applicable for me so I quit the leaves and ferns. Leaves would be tough imho, but they would look good mixed in if done right.

Here is the AR, just did it the other day with kyrlon this time.

AR%20camo%201.jpg

AR%20camo%202.jpg

ive painted most of my rifles using oak and maple leaves much the way i see grass used here and to some pleasing effect. id post some but cant figure out how for some computer tard reason. anyway, im less than satisfied with them due to the collors dont really reflect my ao so well and what i think would work better would be a "pile of dead leaves" scheme. also i tend to not paint whole rifles but usually just the plastic parts and so far no scopes(but i have done a red dot.) my thinking has been that an evenly distributed pattern is less effective camouflage (no matter how nice it may look) than a broken up look with metal parts still black and plastic lighter tans and greens. i figure up close and personal the details of pattern work but out far away a viewer is only gonna see, or hopefully not see, the broken lines of patchy light then dark then light. its been a year or so since any new paint jobs and im itchin to redo some after reading these posts. maybe hit the spray paint aisle and see what colors i can find.

DSCF0012b.jpg

Got a little too close when I sprayed the green. Made it a little shiny.

xm3, It looks worn off but it must of got some crazy use to wear like that as new a gun as it must still be. hoping someone could copy that look

that gun was taken out with us almost everyday on missions in country, so that is why it so wore off. Dont really know how you would recreate that look other than paint the rifle and use the hell out of it like that gun was intended to be used.

Hey Deadly quick question..

The AICS, is that a base coat of green, then dark earth with netting for pattern?

no the aics was a base coat of krylon khaki, i used the khaki, od green, brown, and a lighter green. At first it was too dark, now its to light, so i think that i am going to strip it and do it again.

I am glad to see this post is still active and being used . This is probably the easiest method I have ever used and creates some of the best camo jobs I have ever seen . I have been painting and camoing rifles , shotguns , pistols and damn near anything else I could think of for years and this is my favorite method by far .

Well it's not as good as Deadly's but, I tried my hand last week. Used a based coat of OD green then tan and black. The camera makes the tan look white for some reason.

Either way I'll be able to stalk those deadly paper and steel targets now without being seen.

(yeah I know..forgive me for the stock, but I like it and it works for me)

hey guys I'm wanting to paint my 700 SPS my only concern is that it has the hogue overmold stock on it so I'm not sure how well the adhesion process is going to work on a rubbery surface... any one got any pointers? and yes I know.. I need a new stock :).... putting nice glass on the gun first!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MSG Janoski</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hello all,
I wanted to add some info to this tutorial. I recently spoke with two chemists at Krylon for specific information on the Krylon Camo paints. With the new Krylon "Fusion" Camouflage paints they recommend NOT using an Adhesion Promoter or any primer on metal (including blasted barrel, receiver, etc.) synthetic or wood surfaces of a rifle. They say the new formula of the Fusion Camouflage paints eliminates the need of an adhesion or primer coat. And when I questioned them if using a primer anyway would be better for longevity or resilience they emphatically said no.

Hope this helps anyone with an upcoming paint project. </div></div>

Oh, just read this, sorry for double post. Thanks for this info. I should still wipe it with Acetone first though I assume?

It takes some big testicules to paint a Schmidt & Bender......I couldn't do it .... Kudos to you guys though!

May I ask what is the reason for you to paint the muzzle orange?
confused.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Target On Sight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">May I ask what is the reason for you to paint the muzzle orange?
confused.gif
</div></div>

Because its a kid with an Airsoft......

Hey guys. Any suggestions for some camo pattern for my gun? I have one can of black mission specific spray paint to work with, and I am not sure what pattern to do or how exactly to do it. I didnt do the duracoat job myself.

gun.jpg

If black's all you got then I'd pimp it out with black tiger stripes over your green base (Or as Duracoat calls it Bengal).

THANKS! Great info here. i've been trying to camo my savage 223 but have not been able to get it right. well now back to the hardware store for camo paint and try ,try again.
GREAT JOB!

I just finished painting my Savage 338 win mag and decided to put a flat clear coat on it. Big mistake, they should have called it glossy instead of flat. Is there any magic tricks (other than re painting the rifle) I can do to take the shine away?

to knock down the gloss you might try using some 0000 steel wool. Just lightly rub it. I have used this on gloss gunstocks to give it that hand rubbed look.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Texas Republic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i was kinda hoping for some free stencils or ideas for homemade ones. </div></div>

Get a piece of glass and cover it with blue painter's tape. Draw on your design and then use a razor blade to cut it out (either negative or positive, your choice). Then peel the tape off of the glass and apply it to the rifle stock. Bam! Instant cheap stencil.

Where is the thread on how to properly paint/duracoat your scope?

I have a Desert camo rifle with black scope, looking to make it match.

Great info, I've just started my first painting project. I'm Testing this on a Chinese SKS that was givin to me by my father. When i got, it had no gas tube, and was in a box of parts. I'm planing on just painting the wood stock for now, possible the whole rifle later. deppending on how the stock works out. I've just started sanding so if anyone has in other information on painting the wood stock I would be all ears. I'm assuming its just sand it down and paint, am i wrong?

Thank you for the great tutorial. I just bought my first rifle [Remington 700 7mm Rem Mag], put a cheap scope on it, bipod and started spraying...

OriginalCondition2.jpg

Stage1.jpg

Stage2.jpg

Stage3.jpg

FinishedProduct2.jpg

thanks

what i did was use corn broom to create leafy pattern then i took a rag with CLP and smeared the patterns to soften the lines. I then finished by covering with a very light top layer of khaki mist.

that looks real good man did you have to modify that stock or did id drop in there? i'm thinking about buying a savage so just wwondering