• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Ring height for a 50mm scope?

pepperbelly

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 7, 2006
Fort Worth, Texas
I know this has been asked to death, but will a Bushnell 4200 with a 50mm objective and Butler Creel caps fit on a Remington 700 varmint barrel with a 15moa base using medium height rings?
I am about to put the SPS Varmint contour stock that came on it up for trade but need to be sure to ask for the right height rings.

Jim

Re: Ring height for a 50mm scope?

depends on what brand of mediums you are talking about. Badgers would work. anything .885 would work. I have a 20 MOA with heavy 5r barrel and a NF with a 50mm and have perfect height.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gilly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">depends on what brand of mediums you are talking about. Badgers would work. anything .885 would work. I have a 20 MOA with heavy 5r barrel and a NF with a 50mm and have perfect height. </div></div>

+1 I'm running your same scope with a badger 20moa base.And standard height rings.It fits fine with the butler creeks. You should be GTG.

I run BO Standards on a Rem 700 5R with 0 MOA BO rail. Have about .25 in with BC covers maybe a little less. You could go with the Seekins low that is the best option. This is a 30mm tube.

Are standard height rings what some manufacturers call low, or are they medium?
I will keep the .885" in mind when I look around.
I thought that with a 15moa or 20moa base I might be able to stay with medium height. Being able to use low rings is even better. I would like to keep the scope as low as possible.
My rifle was bought used and came with Leupold 2-piece bases and Leupold twist in rings. I think they are low. When i laid my scope in the bottom of the rings the scope was in contact with the barrel and I had a gap under the scope in the front ring.

I just wanted to be sure before I order something that might not fit right.

Jim

Badger standard height rings are their lows. But heres the deal there isn't that much difference between badger mediums and standards. I'll try and get you some pics of my rig so you can see for yourself what it'll look like.

You also have different base heights and that has to figured in too. What will work on one base might not work on another. I know there is about .125" difference in between EGW and Stiller bases.

David

I am probably going to go with an EGW base.
I also need to be sure my barrel conour won't be a factor. It's an SPS Varmint.

Jim

Here is a picture of my Rem 5R with Seekins low rings and a Seekins 20 moa base. You will be very happy with his products.

nlvpr9.jpg

Here you go bud. Badger base and rings elite 4200 6-24x50.I didn't get a close up.But you can see the distance betwwen the barrel a scope.

[img
DSCN2426.jpg

Is there a downside to choosing Badger mediums over low rings?

You want to mount the scope as low as possible to minimize the height over bore. If low's still allow you to clear the barrel with teh scope caps in place, go with the lows.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: msp21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is there a downside to choosing Badger mediums over low rings?</div></div>