• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Maggie’s 'Ring of Fire' repeated events. Waking up?

oregon

Private
Minuteman
Mar 9, 2011
Portland, Oregon
www.designavs.com
COMMENT:

Be careful when shooting close to the coastline, higher ground inland is better these days along the Pacific from Northern California to British Columbia Canada
wink.gif

BACKGROUND:

Clips and pieces from the WSJ article written by Peter Landers,

"{
After studying ancient rocks, a Japanese geologist warned that a disaster was imminent—to no avail. Masanobu Shishikura was expecting it. The thought that came to mind, he says, was "yappari," a Japanese word meaning roughly, "Sure enough, it happened."

Dr. Shishikura's studies of ancient earth layers persuaded him that every 450 to 800 years, colliding plates in the Pacific triggered waves that devastated areas around the modern city of Sendai, in Miyagi Prefecture, as well as in Fukushima Prefecture.

One early tsunami was known to historians. Caused by the 869 Jogan quake, its waves, according to one chronicle, killed 1,000 people. Dr. Shishikura had found strong evidence of a later tsunami in the same region, which probably took place between 1300 and 1600.

"We cannot deny the possibility that [such a tsunami] will occur again in the near future," he and colleagues wrote in August 2010. That article appeared in a journal published by the Active Fault and Earthquake Research Center in Tsukuba, the government-funded institute where Dr. Shishikura works.

"It appears to be almost completely unknown among the general public that in the past great tsunamis have inundated areas as far as 3-4 kilometers inland as the result of earthquakes exceeding magnitude 8."

Now, Dr. Shishikura's team is looking at the Nankai trough to the south, which could trigger tsunamis hitting the island of Shikoku and the Kii Peninsula. Dr. Shishikura says large tsunamis appear to hit there every 400 to 600 years, with the most recent in 1707.

Those rough calculations suggest the danger is at least a century away. Still, Dr. Shishikura says, "we had better be on the lookout."
}"

the entire article text is at:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704101604576248722573203608.html

The public thought Shishikura's geologist methods of looking at layers in the ground digging holes as strange - and did not take him seriously when could. Often such geologist warnings are ignored - some think they have rocks in their heads.

Other geologists closer to home, say the Cascadia falt is due to throw a wave on a big part of the northern west coast:

http://www.registerguard.com/web/newsloc...rgency.html.csp

The average time between magnitude 8 and larger Cascadia earthquakes is about 240 years (see page 8, Cascadia earthquake timeline, based on Chris Goldfinger’s data, Oregon State University). The last megaquake, estimated as a magnitude 9, occurred in 1700 — that’s 311 years ago. In geologic terms, Cascadia is “9 months pregnant” and overdue.

http://www.good.is/post/cascadia-the-west-coast-fault-line-that-is-nine-months-pregnant/

Paul See, who focused his geologic study to the North Oregon Coast, told me Cascadia is going to cause a title wave again soon. Information based on sand layers when dug down in the ground of lower areas. Said was layers of sand washed inland for over a mile at areas spaced several 100s of years apart now over-due (as also documented at the above links by other geologists).

{edit 4/27/11 - changed title to encourage longer term discussion, as the Japan event fades to a memory}

Re: Man Predicted Japan Tsunami, US West Coast Beware

I better get that damn hutch bolted to the wall or my wife will never let me hear the end of it.
wink.gif

Predicting an earthquake on an active fault line is like shooting fish in a barrel. Eventually anything that "can" happen will happen. I predict you will see several very very large tornado's in the plains between the Rocky and Appalachian Mountains. This prediction of mine will come true so I am letting you know ahead of time to prepare. Don't say I didn't warn you.
smile.gif

I can also say with good authority that beginning tomorrow, the Sun will rise in the East, and continue to do so on a daily basis thereafter...

Though I will counter that the sun will set in the West. Only the West, and nothing but the West. Not only that, but said sun will NOT rise in the East, until it has first set in the West. Then, and only then, will "I" allow it to rise in the east.

Who said that?

Not I, and I apologize for my oversight and omission. Thou truly art, ummm..., ....

Interesting to read. A good reminder of where we live and play and to be prepeared.

As a Geologist, we studied areas in Northern California where it was assumed that Tsunami's had hit that area that were over 500' tall. It appears that it has happened with frequency before and I bet it happens again. Mother nature does repeat herself.

The USGS is actually stating that they believe a violent torpedo of truth set off the earthquake.

Josh

Laser1, please tell more about what your geologist team found in Northern California that made you think Tsunami's made it up to 500'? What part of California - how far south? Did you find sand layer(s) in the hills? Was it about every 300 years as they say happened here in Oregon with the last one in about 1700 or were you able to document different events than what they think hit Oregon?

<span style="color: #009900">BACKGROUND:
500' would be way bad on the Northern west coast. It is the first time have heard anything over a couple hundred is why ask. Paul See a local geologist teacher / expert, told us when still alive (he passed about a year ago after living a long life), on the North Oregon coast waves made it up to only about 100 feet to against the first ridge of hills (a similar event to what just happened in Japan). As that is how far his geologist teams during his life saw a sand layer (or layers) when digging around. In areas where he found a sand layer if dug further there were often other sand layers deeper down - so Paul said areas hit are hit more than once. He felt would happen again and again over time based on the sand layers he saw around. So if curious where you live, dig down and look for sand he told me.
</span>
To the nay-sayers, it isn't just one deceased geologist and myself predicting the future in some crystal ball, in my OP gave several concrete examples and trying to keep it factual - even if you don't believe, it is best for people to be prepared in low lying areas close to the Pacific on the Northern West Coast just in case. The ring-of-fire seems to be 'acting up' in recent times.

Not so much as sand layers, but more the change in the geomorphology of the region. There is alot of scouring and stripping of hill tops, leveling of areas that should continue to be the same general topography as areas further to the east. My studies were back in school and not organized professionally in any fashion. The Prof's all had their research areas and thought they had a good handle on its individual geologic history. Don't know about areas further north as we never discussed those areas. To my way of thinking, small sand layers, even multiple layers could be caused by a number of different depositional events, whereas large areas of extreme erosion on a grand scale, would be more indicative of a major destructive event. Hope this helps....

They knew it would happen, California knows an earthquake is due at the san andreas fault, but people refuse to move. It may seem like a joke that california will fall into the ocean. It's entirely possible, there have been dozens of studies trying to predict when. They know it'll happen, they don't know how big it will be. Then again you can't live your life in fear. Same with hurricanes and tsunamis. Paradise while it lasts.

Actually, it's moving North, so the prime advocates of global warming are slowly being transported to a cooler climate. IMHO, they should be rooting for GW, 'cause the alternative is snowsuits for their descendants.

Activity yesterday on the 'ring of fire':

Ecuador's Tunguarahua went off again yesterday. The volcano has been active since 1999. Its eruptions killed at least four people in 2006:
Ecuador volcano erupts; nearby schools closed

Also yesterday there was an Acapulco event that concerned tourists:
Quake shakes Acapulco, tourists to streets

History repeats itself and about 100 years ago there was a 'significant' event same area:
1909 Event left Acapulco a Total Wreck