• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ROCK vs. KRIEGER....a visual comparison

selfbowhunter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2006
TEXAS
i just received two barrels. one from ROCK the other from KRIEGER. i was looking them both over and it was immediately apparent that the finish externally and INTERNALLY was much smoother on the ROCK. i fully expect both of these barrels to shoot extremely well but if the quality of finish is any indication, the ROCK will shoot better. the outer finish is no contest. the ROCK looks like it could be fitted to the receiver and shot as is without being embarrased. the KRIEGER looks like it was contoured with a 4" angle grinder (maybe not quite that bad). the interior of the ROCK is mirror smooth with not trace of tool marks that i can see with the naked eye. you can see some very fine tool marks in the KRIEGER. i know this comparison has nothing to do with the real quality or potential of the barrels, just thought i would share some simple observations. i could report back when i get the rifles built up if anyone is interested.

chuck

Re: ROCK vs. KRIEGER....a visual comparison

My experience with the two makers has Krieger with the mirror smooth finish on the outside, and rock having the turned finish. This is from using a lot of barrels from both companies. Maybe you should take a look at the stamp on the end of the barrels to confirm your findings. I'm just saying.

Chambered correctly, I assure you wont be able to tell the difference.

Send me the one your most disappointed in... I'll jump on that grenade for ya bro.

they are both top tier barrels, i have never heard negatives about either.. however through my research i think my next barrel with be a kreiger, seems that Terry has a full proof 260 load for these barrels

george,

since it appears that my barrels are backwards, maybe i have outstanding examples of both! i sure hope so.

chuck

You cant look at a barrel and tell if its going to shoot or not.

Both outfits produce top notch barrels...we are living in the good old days of barrel manufacture right now. Its never been better.

I have not done many of either, but your experiance mirrors my own. Not like the outside surface finish matters anyway. I am sure both will potentially outshoot most shooters.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LiteTac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My experience with the two makers has Krieger with the mirror smooth finish on the outside, and rock having the turned finish. This is from using a lot of barrels from both companies. Maybe you should take a look at the stamp on the end of the barrels to confirm your findings. I'm just saying. </div></div>

How the fuck can you tell if one barrel is better then another by looking at it? Jesus christ chamber it up and shoot the fuckers.... You will never be able to tell.....

Adam, dont give yourself a coronary.
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Adam, dont give yourself a coronary.
laugh.gif
</div></div>

I was about to tell him to look down the end and see what one looks less dirty when being fired. Because you gotta keep it clean right?

some of my ugliest barrels turned out to be hummers

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kick-Ass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">some of my ugliest <span style="font-style: italic">girlfriends</span> turned out to <span style="font-style: italic">give great</span> hummers
laugh.gif
</div></div>

I am gonna see how my Krieger shoots tomorrow.

I was only sharing my observation about the outside finish on the barrel blank. I said nothing about interior finish, or which would shoot better. They are both top tier barrel manufacturers. Either company can produce a barrel that will shoot way better than most of us. Like someone said, outside finish is meaningless, even more so when they are prepped and coated.

If you are actually using your rifle, the outside will look like shit after a match or two anyway!!

What you may or may not be seeing will have far less consequence as to what may or may not happen next.The damage can occur when either barrel begins to be finished off. You are starting with two very fine barrels.

PGs +1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LiteTac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My experience with the two makers has Krieger with the mirror smooth finish on the outside, and rock having the turned finish. This is from using a lot of barrels from both companies. Maybe you should take a look at the stamp on the end of the barrels to confirm your findings. I'm just saying. </div></div>

Holy crap I hope they don't look like a turned finish
eek.gif
I have personally sanded just about every barrel that has left this shop for the last 3 years. Now prior to that Mike would send them out not sanded. We pride ourselves on our finished bores but I have shoot a ton of reject barrels that look like they were rifled with a chainsaw and they shoot just as well as the ones that looked perfect.

Paul

I only have one Rock and it will shoot .1 to 1/4 inch @ 100 with my .260. The load isn't a secret either.

"How the fuck can you tell if one barrel is better then another by looking at it? Jesus christ chamber it up and shoot the fuckers.... You will never be able to tell....."

adam,

it was clearly stated that this was just a visual observation and nothing more. i really dont understand why some people here have to make snide remarks trying to be clever, whitty, or any other number of descriptives. why does EVERYONE have to emulate "NOBODY"? to quote BORAT, it works for him "but you, not so much." lets just keep it clean and friendly.

chuck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EastBayRidge</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"seems that Terry has a full proof 260 load for these barrels"

Care to share it ?
</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Terry Cross</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.260 Rem is still very predictable, gives top velocity and is spooky accurate. Match chamber, 47.0/H4831SC and a 139 Scenar loaded to 2.810" gives stupid small groups in every Krieger chambered for it. And that is with R-P cases.
</div></div>

I have faith Terry knows what he is talking about

I have a Rock 6.5. with a bore that corkscrews down the barrel and exits off center. The interior looked rough when new. It's the most accurate gun I own. At 2400 rounds, cleaning patches drag on the throat but it continues to impress me.

I have a rock on my 308, a spare one in the gun closet and a 338 barrel waiting for me to pay for it at the shop. Love these barrels, but if I really really had to(sarcasm) I would shoot a krieger to.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cut rifled</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We pride ourselves on our finished bores but I have shoot a ton of reject barrels that look like they were rifled with a chainsaw and they shoot just as well as the ones that looked perfect.

Paul</div></div>

Hi Paul, do you guys have reject barrels looking for a home? Especially if they shot as well as you said?
laugh.gif

Don't know about what you guys received lately but the last one I got from Rock a couple wks back I was assured and guaranteed that it was the "best" barrel he had EVER done and probably won't EVER be able to accomplish the degree of perfection achieved on this one again!!!!!!!

I don't think Paul would 'shit' me
wink.gif
nor did he have a sales pitch like most used airplane salesman do.
smile.gif

Oh, and yea I like the exterior finish of Rocks also. Saves me lots of time, especially compared to an Oby or Douglas rough turned. Keep up the good work Paul.

I had two Obermayer barrels over the years and they looked AWFULL on the outside and to be honest the inside wasen't anything to be impressed with either , both of them shoot great , as well as any Hart or Kreiger I've owned.

Anybody shooting a Kreiger 5R barrel yet?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EastBayRidge</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"seems that Terry has a full proof 260 load for these barrels"

Care to share it ?
</div></div>

Yes, I'm interested as well. I think, both Preston of Surgeon and Terry both use Kreigers exclusively.

I have takled with Krieger on the internal finnish of their barrels. To me they all look like they have tool marks running the length of the bore (all very uniform) the guy at Krieger said they lap them that way b/c they feel that a barrel with a very smooth finnish likes to pick up copper more. So the "rougher" interrior finnish has a purpose, and you cant complain about how they shoot. I hope this helps.

You must have got the Krueger (the Chinese knock off)
grin.gif
, because I have four Kriegers, and they shoot super, and they are finished up very nicely.

Krieger remains my barrel of choice based purely on my personal observations and experiences. They are very consistent in performance and machinability from barrel to barrel. Out of all the barrels I've chambered to include Rock, Oby, Krieger, Lilja, Hart, Shilen, Bartlien, Schneider and Brux. The two manufacturers’ barrels that machine the same every time are Krieger and Bartlien. Lilja has been the hardest barrel to date with some Rocks being a close second. While the Rock Barrels seem to be slightly less consistent in machinability they've all shot like a house a fire with one three shot group in the .0"s

I'll continue with Krieger and Bartlien but as said above, I doubt you'll tell any difference in accuracy.

i see this thread has started up again so i will report on how things turned out. the krieger was chambered with a .340nk .050 freebore match spec reamer in 308. it is not that impressive at 100yds shooting 1/2moa most of the time and sometimes slightly better, BUT it holds 1/2moa or better at 550yds consistently. the rock barrel was chambered with the same reamer but held .250 short. i built it for score shooting and i guess it would be called at 30x44 or 30x45 etc. of course, it is shooting flat base match bullets and groups are 1/4moa or better. i did shoot some 150gr flat base match bullets in the 308 with very good results so i think both barrels are plenty accurate and both machined very well.

william,

i was going to address the way different barrels machine but you beat me to it. have you tried a benchmark yet? they are my current favorite and greatly underrated i think. call ron sinema at benchmark and ask him about the gunsmithing prices. you will be VERY pleasantly surprised. i just ordered a 22cal 1-8 3-groove and a 6.5 1-8 3 groove and had them in less than two weeks? the external finish is bordering polished on their barrels which can save a lot of time and they FLAT ASS SHOOT.

chuck